servlet having problem with getRequestDispatcher

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: servlet having problem with getRequestDispatcher

1. Hi,

Here is my situation.

The path of the web apps

Now in servlet I have following

Step 1 Get filename parameter
    filename = req.getParameter("filetoopen");

Note: filename here will be something like this http://localhost:8080/myapps/Mydocs/folder/file1.pdf

Step 2 Get database connection and insert into DB
    dconn = new DBConnect();
    ret = insertqry(filename);

step 3 open the pdf file
    RequestDispatcher rd =
    rd.forward(req, res);

This is not working I am getting a exception error that pathname does not start with "/"

I am new to jsp/servlet.

My aim here is to open the pdf file that I have passed to the servlet. Please Help.

Threaded Messages (8)

2. Use context relative path[ Go to top ]

The approach you are using nostly used in roundtrip sendredirect
  3. Thanks[ Go to top ]

Can you please send me some sample code. That will really help me a lot to understand the flow.

Thank in advance.
  4. try this[ Go to top ]

RequestDispatcher rd =
    rd.forward(req, res);
  5. Thanks[ Go to top ]

when I try with forward (your sample code) I get blank page. Also in your earlier reply you said this can be done with sendredirect. Is this true? If yes can you send me simple sample code.

6. response.sendRedirect[ Go to top ]

7. RequestDispatcher[ Go to top ]

You could use sendRedirect too, but it creates another request HTTP on your server. With RequestDispacther the pathname to the resource must begin with a "/" and is interpreted as relative to the current context root.

Look at this:

Rafael Naufal.
  8. Thanks for the help guys[ Go to top ]

Thanks for the help guys. Its working now.
  9. I think you can use getRequestDispatcher in your current ServletContext to redirect to a relative URL only, like
    As the documentation of this method states "The pathname must begin with a "/" and is interpreted as relative to the current context root." In order to dispatch to an absolute URL on the server you must call getContext before, like
    ServletContext newContext = context.getContext("/otherpath"); newContext.getRequestDispatcher("/otherfile.pdf");
    HTH Thorsten