FrontierSuite, BMP/CMP/JDO persistence engine, free for download

Discussions

News: FrontierSuite, BMP/CMP/JDO persistence engine, free for download

1. ObjectFrontier has announced that FrontierSuite, an O/R mapping tool with EJB and JDO implementations, is being offered as freeware for developers.

FrontierSuite is a persistence framework for providing persistence solutions for Java Objects in RDBMS. FrontierSuite offers a blend of a development environment and a runtime environment for persistent components.

FrontierSuite uses the Model Driven Architecture (MDA) approach prescribed by OMG for application development. It provides persistence managers for any persistence platform (J2EE EJB, JDO, Java) from a single domain persistence model.

The FrontierSuite runtime environment provides an open standards-based (JCA, JTA, JNDI) unified persistence manager for all the three persistence platforms. The architecture and features of the runtime include a full fledged caching solution for java objects, with the intent of improving performance and providing the capability to scale to any volume. The open standards architecture prevents lock-in for enterprises and provides flexibility for choosing the best solution.

The download is free with registration.

What do you think?

Threaded Messages (7)

2. Interesting[ Go to top ]

I have always thought having UI support for ORM tools was a good idea. For example, Cayenne is much easier to use as a result. So it is good to see a similar tool here.

Surprised at no support for Hibernate, and JDO at 1.0 only. Next version maybe?

As an aside, I see it can generate both BMP and CMP entity beans. It's JDBC-based BMP only for me, I'm afraid. I feel out of control with CMP. I like having direct access to the sql.

Anyone else still using BMP beans? Or entity beans at all for that matter?

Kit
  3. Interesting[ Go to top ]

I have always thought having UI support for ORM tools was a good idea. For example, Cayenne is much easier to use as a result. So it is good to see a similar tool here.Surprised at no support for Hibernate, and JDO at 1.0 only. Next version maybe?As an aside, I see it can generate both BMP and CMP entity beans. It's JDBC-based BMP only for me, I'm afraid. I feel out of control with CMP. I like having direct access to the sql. Anyone else still using BMP beans? Or entity beans at all for that matter?Kit

I think BMP is generally regarded as a bad idea ( tm ). Better to just have a facade of session bean doing the object instantiation via a delegate class and then pass them up the
    chain.... but better off with hibernate i suspect ... or even jdo .
  4. A highly rich UI based ORM tool coming as a freeware is definitly a big boon to most of the developers. More than that this product has the support for all the APIs (CMP / BMP / JDO).. It is also claimed that this is the only SUNTONE certified product. Hence this certification is an assurance for the developers on the quality of the output. If you look at their offerings the benefits are plenty.

More than anything else this product has grown along with many fortune 500 companies as their clients and now available as a freeware. hence the reliability of the product to address various scenarios is definitely there. I trust this move is a good move and will have a lot of benefit for all the developers.
  5. Frontier Suite announcement as "a Freeware product" is a stepping milestone to outbeat their opensource competitor. FS features such as ObjectModelling functionalities,Relational mapping functionalties,
    Deployment descriptor generation,Caching features & SUNTONE CERTIFICATION are the major features which pose a great threat to thier competitor.
  6. bad english?[ Go to top ]

There are many examples of bad or wrong English on their site including the homepage, and the layout of the homepage on FireFox is messed up. I'm not sure if this is related in any way to their product quality...
  7. Thanks for the input[ Go to top ]

Thanks for your comments.... we checked on the firefox browser and it is working fine... i am not sure of your comments there ...

Regards your comments on the language .... we are reviewing it and will act of it accordingly ... thanks for your comments ... I suppose linking this with the quality of the product is totally not necessary ....

thanks
  8. Interesting[ Go to top ]

Object Relational mapping seems to be sold out here..
    It has support to different mapping style like Horizontal, Vertical, Collapsed Mapping for inheritance objects. Looks to be interesting options.