TESTARE - a testing framework for distributed java applications

Discussions

News: TESTARE - a testing framework for distributed java applications

1. Testare is a testing framework that aims to simplify the test development process for distributed enterprise JAVA applications.

It tries to achieve this by focusing on two main directions:
    • provide straightforward and easy to use "in container" testing capabilities through the concept of execution scenarios
    • provide native support for test environment management and introspection techniques such as fixtures, global fixtures, probes and guards
    Its initial focus is on "in ejb container" testing but its extensible architecture intended to make it very easy to develop support for other execution environments such as servlets, JMS listeners, CORBA ORBs or RMI.

Documentation is provided via a white paper referred to on its home page.

Threaded Messages (15)

2. no wonder u have no responses[ Go to top ]

we have too many of these ...
    just stop wasting your own time ..
  3. People who are killing the OSS[ Go to top ]

People like you Sean are killing the OSS. If you do not want to use it, just do not use it. We need more open minded developers and less lamers..
    While they are "wasting" their time writing code
    you are wasting your time posting useless comments.
    That does say everything about you....

...and NO, I am not associated whatsoever with TESTARE team.
  4. People who are killing the OSS[ Go to top ]

Obviously, I agree.

It's fine not to like a product or criticize its design, but questioning the impulse that led to its creation is an attitude that just doesn't make sense.

With this kind of thinking, there would be no Linux, no FireFox, no Tomcat, no Eclipse, no IntelliJ, ...

--
    Cedric
  5. People who are killing the OSS[ Go to top ]

Comparing linux and tomcat and eclipse to this testware really shows the depth of your thinking.

Its people like you and the other out of garage "no documents - erroneous code products" have spoiled the open source initiative.

You go to sourgeforge and find thousands and thousands of half baked open source initiatives. Thats wht i hate about. why would you all spend time in writing something which already exists in market and does 80% of what you just rebuilt. Why not join existing better open source projects from apache etc.

Difference between apache and you all is the whole sense of beng part of giving to community versus we want to throw something at others and see if they like it ...

And from what i see on your site, your product and the response you have got on TSS - its bears no more explaination.
  6. People who are killing the OSS[ Go to top ]

Comparing linux and tomcat and eclipse to this testware really shows the depth of your thinking.
    Nah, it's just that you are missing the big picture.
    You go to sourgeforge and find thousands and thousands of half baked open source initiatives. Thats wht i hate about.
    You shouldn't.

There is a lot to learn from failures.

All the good frameworks and products you use on a daily basis are here because of past failures by other products. It's called research, and while most of them end up being abandoned, we all learn in the process.

Look up "building on the shoulder of giants", it will give you a better appreciation for all these idealistics who like to scratch itches.

And I hope that one day, you too will have an itch to scratch, but more importantly, that you'll go ahead and scratch the hell out of it, because whether or not your idea will turn into something successful, it will make all of us more knowledgeable in the process.

--
    Cedric
  7. People who are killing the OSS[ Go to top ]

Nah, it's just that you are missing the big picture.
    You go to sourgeforge and find thousands and thousands of half baked open source initiatives. Thats wht i hate about.
    You shouldn't.There is a lot to learn from failures.All the good frameworks and products you use on a daily basis are here because of past failures by other products. It's called research, and while most of them end up being abandoned, we all learn in the process.Look up "building on the shoulder of giants", it will give you a better appreciation for all these idealistics who like to scratch itches.And I hope that one day, you too will have an itch to scratch, but more importantly, that you'll go ahead and scratch the hell out of it, because whether or not your idea will turn into something successful, it will make all of us more knowledgeable in the process.-- Cedric

There is a very thin line of separation between creating something with a vision versus creating a new "Framework" everytime you have a "itch." I guess most of you guys dont take bath for long and so get itchy and keep on throwing new half baked projects at the community every night.
    And thats the sole reason there are too many. Its like a fungus. Everyone thinks i m better than the existing one.

Instead they can work together and add on top of existing one. And if possible some docuemntation will help so that community can help you build it better. Throwing javadocs at anyone is the worst you can do to a project - your won included.
    I hope your itch grows into a rash and then you come to reality.
  8. People who are killing the OSS[ Go to top ]

And if possible some docuemntation will help so that community can help you build it better. Throwing javadocs at anyone is the worst you can do to a project - your won included.
    Testare comes with a twenty-page PDF document, I'm not sure what more you could ask for.
    I hope your itch grows into a rash and then you come to reality.
    Jeez, it's just software. Chill out and stop reading TheServerSide if it makes you that angry.

--
    Cedric
  9. Let's get this straight[ Go to top ]

Shawn,
    how can you compare Linux with TESTARE ??
    Open source software is open source software. That's it.
    It is up to the people then to screen the high quality OSS from the thrash. Thats the real world.
    And maybe you do not need another test framework but others do...and maybe just looking at the source code some people will get inspired and fork another project...who knows...
    Thats open source..share with others!
    Open source means freedom of expression and sharing ideas not only code...

So you want to have only one car brand in the market and build accessories on top of that ? Wow what a visioner you are!! But nobody forces you not to do that BUT please do not tell us what we should do!!

And please lets keep Apache outside this discussion.
    Thats a clear example what OSS is going today because of people like you, blind followers...
    There are better AS out there that they are barely mentioned (but used in production) while Geronimo sounded like the coolest thing happened in the last years...and got press and exposure like it were such thing...
    Accordingly to you we did not need Geronimo, right ?
    ..even I think it is a piece of crap I am not against it. You are free to look at it or ignore it. ..but I am glad to have that choice!!

"De nihilo nihil"

No software patents in Europe! http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com
  10. Let's get this straight[ Go to top ]

Shawn,how can you compare Linux with TESTARE ??Open source software is open source software. That's it. It is up to the people then to screen the high quality OSS from the thrash. Thats the real world. And maybe you do not need another test framework but others do...and maybe just looking at the source code some people will get inspired and fork another project...who knows...Thats open source..share with others!Open source means freedom of expression and sharing ideas not only code...So you want to have only one car brand in the market and build accessories on top of that ? Wow what a visioner you are!! But nobody forces you not to do that BUT please do not tell us what we should do!!And please lets keep Apache outside this discussion. Thats a clear example what OSS is going today because of people like you, blind followers... There are better AS out there that they are barely mentioned (but used in production) while Geronimo sounded like the coolest thing happened in the last years...and got press and exposure like it were such thing... Accordingly to you we did not need Geronimo, right ? ..even I think it is a piece of crap I am not against it. You are free to look at it or ignore it. ..but I am glad to have that choice!! "De nihilo nihil" No software patents in Europe! http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com

Comparing car with software is not such a great idea but if u get 1000000 brands of cars then i will ask for less. Saves a lot of time and money in looking into 99999 and then finding out they all do the same. Dont just go by what you learnt in 1st grade - i know more options is good but too many options is not good. really its not !!! No one has enough support to survive and thats when you see a lot of companies merging or tieing up or taking over others.

Monopoly is bad - i m not asking for it, but too many options is also bad. Its the other extreme.
    I dont think i can explain it to you. It needs some more out of box thinking.
    All you guys see is a new toy to play with. Its not how it works in reality in most of the companies. World is not just full of startups.
    Anyway ... enjoy writing new stuff

BTW - I love the idea of Germino - I know apache guys are dedicated and there arent any good open source EJB containers available. JBOSS sucks - too many arogant people developieng it and just recently they have updated their documentation. till then it sucked and wasnt even upto date. So go Apache and go Germino...
  11. Chinese box[ Go to top ]

I was just giving you an example of monopoly vs free market when I compared cars and software but since you cant read beyond the lines....just forget it.

So you think out of the box ?
    ...MMmm sounds to me more like you are in a chinese box... (-_-)

I see how deep your knowledge (since you love the idea) of Germino is...(Geronimo sounds more familiar ?? (^-^) )...

Enjoy your day...thinking "out" of the box.....
  12. Chinese box[ Go to top ]

I was just giving you an example of monopoly vs free market when I compared cars and software but since you cant read beyond the lines....just forget it.So you think out of the box ? ...MMmm sounds to me more like you are in a chinese box... (-_-)I see how deep your knowledge (since you love the idea) of Germino is...(Geronimo sounds more familiar ?? (^-^) )...Enjoy your day...thinking "out" of the box.....

If you read todays post on TSS about BEA open to tomcat, germino and other open source initiatives you would know what i m saying. They didnt re invent the wheel on everything again - but they are trying to work together with other open source initiatives to buold a better product. And here you are stuck with you own crappy stupid ideas and think you are the best. Its so immature thinking on your part. Anyway - this shows upo in your liking of half baked ideas.
  13. Jeez can you at least get the spelling right once ??
    G - E - R - O - N - I - M - O!!!
    There is not worse than an arrogant ignorant person .....
  14. Jeez can you at least get the spelling right once ??G - E - R - O - N - I - M - O!!!There is not worse than an arrogant ignorant person .....

Thats what you got ????
    Cant argue with a smart person .. all talk talk talk about about new cool frameworks thats it. Do u see what big industry players do and why ?
    u r such a moron most probably a consultant or a garage based startup - aimless mostly close down in next few weeks.
  15. ha Ha ha[ Go to top ]

Ha Ha dear Shawn Spencer, while you are working like a slave in a big corporation...I am running a successful intl company
    Sorry to disappoint you no garage/consultant stuff
    but you really made my day...you such an idiot!
    Thank you again. People like you make the world look like a circus....and I do not even need to buy the ticket to see the show...
    and now I am out of this ...but I had so much fun..
    Thank you again Shawn Spencer!
  16. answers to Sean and Shaun[ Go to top ]

Seems like I'm getting a few replies anyways... I didn't know if I should step in this a little bit out of topic debate or not - I finally decided to do it...

First I want to assure Sean I don't think I wasted any of my time. I have built this framework because I had a need for it, couldn't find anything similar that was already there (at least back in time when I started to work on it) and I'm happy with the result. The productivity I've gained in test writing compensates for time I spent writing the framework. Then, Sean says we have to many of these already. Well, I'd be really interested to know exactly how many java testing framework with built in "in container" testing, with automatic fixture & probe distribution and all that we have, I'd be happy to cooperate with those projects to let the public benefit from our joint experience. This is why I released it as open source in the first place.

On the other hand I agree with Shaun who says TESTARE is not comparable to Linux, Firefox or Eclipse. It's definitely not a project of that scale, nor importance :-) I'd rather say it can be compared - in functionality and dev effort - to JUnit or Cactus. But I think Shaun didn't exactly get what Cedric was trying to say: when you release an existing project to open source, it's primarily to let the community benefit from your experience and ideas. Even if the product doesn't become mainstream, the ideas and concepts are out there in the open and if other projects find it useful and adopt it, that's gratifying already.

regards,
    e.