Tangosol Announces Coherence 3.0 Release

Discussions

News: Tangosol Announces Coherence 3.0 Release

1. Tangosol Announces Coherence 3.0 Release (16 messages)

Tangosol has announced the availability of Coherence 3.0, a distributed in-memory data management solution for enterprise Java technology applications.

New features include:
    • WAN Clustering enables global load-balancing and WAN failover for data and compute grids, supporting enterprise business continuity strategies.
    • Clustered JMX provides real time monitoring, management and configuration for an entire grid or any part of the grid from any server.
    • Read-Ahead Caching can completely eliminate load latencies by predicting the data that needs to be ready in cache.
    • Custom Partitioning and Partition Affinity supercharge the performance of large-scale data grids by controlling the locality of data within scale-out environments.

Threaded Messages (16)

2. @see

http://www.tangosol.com/news.jsp
    http://www.tangosol.com/20050627-0-press.jsp
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1831497,00.asp
  3. Great work guys![ Go to top ]

Another milestone in a great product!

-John-
  4. sweet[ Go to top ]

Congrats on the new release. Now if only I had a cluster of 20 nodes, it would be fun to play with it. I did d/l the previous release, read the javadocs and examples, but my home environment is too puny to really make use of coherence. You guys should setup a lab for developers to try it out :)

peter
  5. sweet[ Go to top ]

Congrats on the new release. Now if only I had a cluster of 20 nodes, it would be fun to play with it. I did d/l the previous release, read the javadocs and examples, but my home environment is too puny to really make use of coherence. You guys should setup a lab for developers to try it out

How 'bout I meet you at the IBM lab in Waltham ;-)

(That's where we did the testing on the Z.)

Seriously, though, you can easily run a couple instances on a notebook .. you don't _need_ 20 servers, although when you deploy it's nice to know that it'll easily handle 20 (or 200) servers.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol Coherence: Clustered Shared Memory for Java
  6. sweet[ Go to top ]

Congrats on the new release. Now if only I had a cluster of 20 nodes, it would be fun to play with it. I did d/l the previous release, read the javadocs and examples, but my home environment is too puny to really make use of coherence. You guys should setup a lab for developers to try it out

How 'bout I meet you at the IBM lab in Waltham ;-)

(That's where we did the testing on the Z.)

Seriously, though, you can easily run a couple instances on a notebook .. you don't _need_ 20 servers, although when you deploy it's nice to know that it'll easily handle 20 (or 200) servers.
    Peace,
    Cameron PurdyTangosol Coherence: Clustered Shared Memory for Java

LOL

I could start up a few instances on my laptop, but then I couldn't stress test it with some serious load to see what happens under stress :)

peter
  7. I have one question[ Go to top ]

So now you guys embrace JMX, but do you have the cool draw demo like JGroups/JBossCache? See didn't think so....Tangosol doesn't properly support pixel replication which is just totally important for a REAL enterpise cache. I think I will need to comment on every further mention of Tangosol and note this horrible ommission from their architecture. Its important that I give this unbiased warning to all users.
  8. Re: I have one question[ Go to top ]

So now you guys embrace JMX, but do you have the cool draw demo like JGroups/JBossCache? See didn't think so....Tangosol doesn't properly support pixel replication which is just totally important for a REAL enterpise cache. I think I will need to comment on every further mention of Tangosol and note this horrible ommission from their architecture. Its important that I give this unbiased warning to all users.

Sorry, but I have to ask...maybe I'm just dense. Why would an enterprise application care about pixel replication?
  9. I have one question[ Go to top ]

Hi Andy,

You are correct. We don't claim to support pixel replication because we can only support 65536 colors in a fully replicated cluster, while many people are looking for "true color" replication. As a result, we had to stop positioning against Photoshop Enterprise, the other clustered graphical environment.

</humor>

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
  10. I have one question[ Go to top ]

Hi Andy,You are correct. We don't claim to support pixel replication because we can only support 65536 colors in a fully replicated cluster, while many people are looking for "true color" replication. As a result, we had to stop positioning against Photoshop Enterprise, the other clustered graphical environment.</humor>Peace,Cameron PurdyTangosol Coherence: Clustered Shared Memory for Java
    Does it mean I can't use Tangosol on a dual-head computer? Oh no! ;)

Regards,
    Henrique Steckelberg
  11. I have one question[ Go to top ]

Cameron, you can tell jokes all you like but I regard Tangasol's lack of pixel replication to be a serious flaw. Because of this, I'm not sure you can claim this is enterprise grade software like JBoss Cache.
  12. When you say pixel replication[ Go to top ]

Cameron, you can tell jokes all you like but I regard Tangasol's lack of pixel replication to be a serious flaw. Because of this, I'm not sure you can claim this is enterprise grade software like JBoss Cache.

I'm not familiar with the term pixel replication, so I think many other people are also not aware of the term. Care to define what "pixel replication" is and why it's important?

peter
  13. When you say pixel replication[ Go to top ]

Pixel Replication, check out this link. You see how they drew JMX and it replicated the pixels accross to other nodes in the cluster all via the JConsole from JDK 1.5? The implications are of course obvious. Without this feature Tangasol is simply not ready to compete in the Enterprise with JBossCache. They can compete on the low end of course, but since you can have an Enterpise Grade distributed cache with Pixel Replication even from the JConsole, I can't imagine they'll be very successful.
  14. looks neat[ Go to top ]

Pixel Replication, check out this link. You see how they drew JMX and it replicated the pixels accross to other nodes in the cluster all via the JConsole from JDK 1.5? The implications are of course obvious. Without this feature Tangasol is simply not ready to compete in the Enterprise with JBossCache. They can compete on the low end of course, but since you can have an Enterpise Grade distributed cache with Pixel Replication even from the JConsole, I can't imagine they'll be very successful.

I've never needed to do this, so it's not something I would consider critical. Altough it is a nice idea to replicate the console to another system, I don't see what the point is. How do people use that? and how do you deal with the issue of two people trying to alter the same server at the same time?

peter
  15. looks neat[ Go to top ]

How do people use that? and how do you deal with the issue of two people trying to alter the same server at the same time?peter

Ahh well you see JBossCache is a transactional distributed cache (it can also run non-transactional) so pixel's can be replicated safely! We can replicated pixels anywhere with ACID properties!
  16. When you say pixel replication[ Go to top ]

I'm not familiar with the term pixel replication, so I think many other people are also not aware of the term. Care to define what "pixel replication" is and why it's important?

Andy is trying to be funny. Some replication demos show whiteboard style applications where you draw on one screen and the actions and/or resulting images are replicated to the other screen(s). We used to use a whiteboard demo and other GUI demos (including chat, 3d animations, etc.) but they tend to confuse people more than they help, so we stick with the real stuff now.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
  17. The possibilities[ Go to top ]

replicating pixels? oh the opportunity for bad and inappropriate jokes is so tempting, but I shall refrain.

make sure the MPAA doesn't know here you live, they might claim you're pirating movies

peter