JSR 220, EJB 3.0, posts public review

Discussions

News: JSR 220, EJB 3.0, posts public review

1. JSR 220, EJB 3.0, posts public review (6 messages)

JSR-220, which covers EJB 3.0, has posted the first public review of the EJB 3.0 specification. It's available in three parts: the simplified API, the persistence API, and core contracts and requirements.

The Simplified API document covers session beans and message-driven beans, largely from the programmer's perspective.

The Persistence API covers the new EJB 3.0 persistence mechanism, which persists a POJO model, which greatly simplifies persistence through support of POJO-based entities. Again, this document seems aimed more at developers rather than implementors.

The Core Contracts and Requirements document is a set of requirements for the container to fulfill, and covers much of what the older EJB specifications covered.

A number of containers offer preview implementations, while the spec is still being developed. The simpler model definitely lowers the bar for using EJBs, and also introduces new patterns of usage for J2EE applications, and makes many of the current patterns redundant or unnecessary. What do you think?

Threaded Messages (6)

2. Hope this is some good stuff in the making. If I can write, test and run EJBs in a time span equivalent to using Hibernate/Spring together... I will/can definitely sell it to my manager.

I don't know about others, but I always had this feeling working with Hibernate (less with Spring) that my code-base is having yet another dependency on a 'non-standard' framework.
  3. I don't know about others, but I always had this feeling working with Hibernate (less with Spring) that my code-base is having yet another dependency on a 'non-standard' framework.
    never had that feeling. Do however remember bad experiences with "standard" frameworks.

chris
  4. Mee too[ Go to top ]

Also had the same feeling, and also missed better tools to write hibernate annotations for example... No visual tools that automatically does relationship... etc..
  5. huh?[ Go to top ]

maybe pay for wsad 5.1 or use free netbeans 4.1 and you'd see how easy it is to code ejs.

what's hard is what you don't know (sping is hard, i know ejb).
  6. Embeddable EJB3[ Go to top ]

Hope this is some good stuff in the making. If I can write, test and run EJBs in a time span equivalent to using Hibernate/Spring together... I will/can definitely sell it to my manager.

We hope to help in the testing phase of EJB3's by offering an embeddable EJB3 container later this summer. If you take a CVS snapshot one of our junit tests is actually using our embedded EJB container, I just haven't had time to finalize and release the stuff yet...

Bill
  7. Embeddable EJB3[ Go to top ]

I think that would be great. One could start up embedded Jetty, embedded EJB and embedded HSQLDB and get stuff tested quickly. OpenEJB already has an embedded version, though I think it is not the latest and greatest stuff. I do not use EJBs in my current project, but we run JUnit tests with embedded Jetty and HSQLDB.