need advice (developing a message forum in jsp/servlets)

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: need advice (developing a message forum in jsp/servlets)

1. Hello,

I am developing a message forum in jsp/servlets and I am not too sure how to go about on a certian point. I have practically terminated the project, but I do not know what I should do concerning the following point. I populate a main topics page with data from an oracle database, my topics or subjects of my message appear as a hyperlink. If I want to click on the hyperlink and display more information on the message and its replies, I need to pass the ID of the message in order to make another SQL statement. What is the best way of getting though with this? Should I make another servlet? Can I pas an argument through the a href address? Thanks in advance!
  2. Greg,

Take a look at jive. It is an open source web forum application using java technology at the following url:

http://www.coolservlets.com/jive/

You might be able to use it as is, study the code for ideas, or adapt it to your needs.

Hope that helps...

Raj
  3. Persuamblky you can implement it crudly via the query string key value approach in the URL header, but a better way would be to use a usebean tag ans set the ID search criteria as property on the bean.

Emad J. Benjamin.