OpenCms version 6 released

Discussions

News: OpenCms version 6 released

1. OpenCms version 6 released (14 messages)

The new 6.0.0 version of OpenCms is now available for download. OpenCms is an open-source web application aimed at providing CMS (licensed with the LGPL). The new version was developed by the German company Alkacon Software GmbH (http://www.alkacon.com) with the support of an OpenCms developer community.

New or improved features in this edition include:
    • "Direct edit" of content right from the website
    • Improved HTML user interface, compatible to MS IE and Firefox
    • New content types can easily be defined by an XML schema
    • Support for managing multiple websites in one installation
    • Integrated full text search, also in MS Office and PDF documents
    • Extensive user permission system with access control lists (ACL)
    • Optional generates static HTML pages from the content
    • Contains modules for news, jobs, FAQ and events
    • Generator for Email-Forms
    • Support for multiple languages and Unicode
    As a simple webapp, deployment of OpenCms is rather simple. It provides features aimed especially at medium and large enterprise internet or intranet applications. OpenCms is open source software distributed under the LGPL licence.

OpenCms represents one of the two primary views of content management: the application. The other view is that of a repository, as embodied by applications that implement JSR-170. What do you think the best long-term approach is?

Threaded Messages (14)

2. OpenCms represents one of the two primary views of content management: the application. The other view is that of a repository, as embodied by applications that implement JSR-170. What do you think the best long-term approach is?

First let me say congratulations to the OpenCms team on your new release. It's good to see your product continue to grow and improve.

I have used OpenCms and I find it to be more flexible and easier to use than all the other open source Java-based CMS solutions I have tried. Is this because OpenCms has had more time to mature and so from a usability standpoint it has a more well-rounded feature set and less bugs? Or does this say something about the limitations of the JSR-170 spec? I don't really know, but one thing I'm sure of is that I would prefer to use a standards-compliant Java CMS solution if possible.
  3. WebDAV[ Go to top ]

Nice features so far, but it would be great if this project integrated the
    Slide project and added WebDAV capabilities.
  4. I came across this product called Bizzuka. (www.Bizzuka.com). It's a very good product. Has over 80 components like Ecommerce, Job listing etc. It also has comprehensive admin utilities where we can change the navigation using drag and drop feature, manage user permissions etc

the site also features a tour. have a look at it. (www.bizzuka.com)

Seshu
  5. spam and errors[ Go to top ]

You are not in any way related to this product by the way....

Anyway, I get the below which is not very promising:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e57'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]String or binary data would be truncated.

/includes/PageInfo.asp, line 507
  6. spam and errors[ Go to top ]

You are not in any way related to this product by the way...

Sorry.. I missed the ? mark at the end.

This was intended to be a question to the guy who spammed about the www.Bizzuka.com
  7. Good show. It's definitely one of the leading OS CMS products in the market.

I've used it before and one feature that i want is the ability to create custom content types (for example Press release etc). I can download modules (like news module for example) but that's not too flexible. From whatever i remember, in order to create a new content type, one needs to create java beans and so on. This makes it very complex. Have the things changed now or is it the same?
    OpenCms represents one of the two primary views of content management: the application. The other view is that of a repository, as embodied by applications that implement JSR-170. What do you think the best long-term approach is?

I think, the long term approach would be a hybrid one. Most products will provide features that will differentiate them from others. At the same time, they will have to support standards like JSR 170 in order to be in the race.

/a
    http://apoorv.info
  8. From whatever i remember, in order to create a new content type, one needs to create java beans and so on. This makes it very complex. Have the things changed now or is it the same?

With version 6 you can define content types with a simple XML schema. No more need to develop any JavaBeans, even though there is still an API for that if required.
  9. <blockquoteWith version 6 you can define content types with a simple XML schema. No more need to develop any JavaBeans, even though there is still an API for that if required.Hmm.. that makes a lot of things easier. I will download it right away and see how good it is.

I cannot see the documentation for 6.0 on the site. I assume it will be part of the distribution.

/a
  10. Yes it does look interesting, mature and profesional looking website too. Is this app suitable for a traditional document management deployment? I've been looking at various offerings, including the new Alfresco http://www.alfresco.org (which now has Linux distributions for download) which also mentions CIFS support for mapping network drives to the repository which sounds interesting.
  11. I dont like it[ Go to top ]

We have used version 5 for a client project and I have to say I think the product is pretty terrible to work with. There are numerous reasons, not least the actual architecture of the system.
  12. I dont like it[ Go to top ]

hi!

what reasons makes it terrible to work with? i'm looking for a good opensource java cms and i'm glad to hear pros AND cons to each product ...

greetings,
    treb
  13. I dont like it[ Go to top ]

hi!what reasons makes it terrible to work with? i'm looking for a good opensource java cms and i'm glad to hear pros AND cons to each product ...greetings,treb

Some of the open source java cms are OpenCMS, Apache's Lenya and the newly released Alfresco. There are many other PHP and Python based systems too.

OpenCMS
    =======
    It is the oldest and i guess most matured of the three mentioned above. It uses Java and XML and can work with all major databases and application servers. It uses the concept of offline and online projects. I think it is similar to staging and production environments, with offline project acting as the staging site for previewing content etc. The site can be delivered either using static publishing or dynamically. There is workflow also but I have not worked with it and hence do not know how customizable it is. More features can be added using Modules. Professional support can be bought separately.

However, i *personally* feel the learning curve to be steep. Although there is extensive documentation covering different aspects, I would have loved to see a getting started tutorial which explains how to develop a simple site with content entry, workflow and finally delivery. Maybe it is already there somewhere but I havenot found it yet. Apart from this, it is not very easy to customize.

Apache Lenya
    ============

It comes from Apache's stable and I guess that is the biggest strength. It was created by Wyona and then donated to Apache. It uses Cocoon framework which is quite customizable. It also has most features expected of a good CMS and matches OpenCMS in that respect.

However, it is not very easy to install. Unlike a single click wizard based installation of OpenCMS and Alfresco, one needs to use Ant and build Lenya as well as Cocoon. Hopefully this will be improved in the later versions. All content is stored as XML which could be good or bad depending on your requirements. Finally, learning Cocoon and Lenya and understanding the use of APIs to extend the platform could painful ;-(

Alfresco
    ========

Its the latest in the space. Very easy to install and get up and running. However, it is only a preview release and not a full fledged production. I've written some initial thoughts about it at http://apoorv.info. This could be a product to watch especially since it is created by veterans in the CMS space and has some really cool features.

Regards,
    /a
  14. I dont like it[ Go to top ]

Unlike a single click wizard based installation of OpenCMS and Alfresco, one needs to use Ant and build Lenya as well as Cocoon.

Okay they have a binary install also. So it is not as difficult as i'd thought.

/a
  15. I dont like it[ Go to top ]

I'd be interested in finding out your issues with the application as there are a group of people pushing this solution for our next project.