xfy Basic Edition 1.0 previewed at JavaOne

Discussions

News: xfy Basic Edition 1.0 previewed at JavaOne

1. Monday, Justsystem Corporation announced the preview edition of xfy Basic Edition 1.0 at JavaOne. xfy is an integrated XML development and authoring environment, including a runtime environment and associated development tools. It allows an XML document with diverse XML vocabularies to be rendered, authored, and edited as a single dataset.

For example, a white paper might contain SVG images or MathML (or, for that matter, sample XML messages), each embedded into a single document, with each embedded module fully editable within its own context.

There are no technical limits on the vocabularies xfy can process. Processing modules is done in a custom vocabulary called XVCD. XVCD is able to issue serverside calls, so that an end user can write a document in-place, and issue calls to the server via AJAX to populate forms, for example, much as other technologies can, but since xfy is an XML editor itself, it's able to integrate the results directly.

It's a different idea than most authoring systems, which tend to focus on rigid document structures, and the ability to integrate XML documents inside of each other with full editing is something that should be feasible but is rarely seen.

The final version is expected to be released in October 2005.
  2. http://www.xfytec.com/
  3. Thanks, Mark.[ Go to top ]

Sorry, I had a chance to check, uh, most of it. I should have gone a little slower. JavaOne's kept me a little busy.
  4. Not sure if anyone else had the same impression, but xfy's booth at JavaOne was a loud circus of markethype. Anything that bills itself as "the most important technology at JavaOne" deserves to be ignored.

Seriously, anyone else think that a company that spends that much on a full booth to tout software that is going to "change everything" but has yet to be released is maybe pulling your chain, just a bit?
  5. How can you say that without testing their software... That's simply too unfair.
  6. How can you say that without testing their software... That's simply too unfair.

Unfair? Perhaps. Their marketing was over the top and was certainly the wrong approach for me at least. It simply ensured that I would not stay anywhere near their booth for any period of time or try to learn whether they're doing anything useful to in any problem space I care about.
  7. How can you say that without testing their software... That's simply too unfair.
    Unfair? Perhaps. Their marketing was over the top and was certainly the wrong approach for me at least. It simply ensured that I would not stay anywhere near their booth for any period of time or try to learn whether they're doing anything useful to in any problem space I care about.

So they shouldn't market their product? Wow, I though products were made to be sold, I guess not.
  8. So they shouldn't market their product? Wow, I though products were made to be sold, I guess not.
    Marketing which doesn't help sell the product but instead drives people away is not worth much.

FWIW, I went to their site and read product descriptions. It's also full of marketese. They have lots of product lines, and the descriptions do little to actually differentiate between them. One description picked from their site is
    xfy is a good starting point for a Java developer to get a feel for what the right synergy between XML and Java looks like. xfy brings together powerful XML-handling capabilities, including visual XML editing and rendering controls, customizable views and user interfaces. The developer can take advantage of these features of xfy as a basis for quick development of applications involving XML -- without having to master XML processing arcana up front.

Very obviously written by marketing people, and speaks little to why as a developer I should care. Only technical stuff in there does not differentiate from other similar products out there.
  9. Very obviously written by marketing people, and speaks little to why as a developer I should care. Only technical stuff in there does not differentiate from other similar products out there.

I agree.

I tried understand what exactly the product does, and how it helps a developer or designer or how it fits into an architecture or deployment. I could not get head or tail. I am not sure about the product itself, but the descriptions kept me away from trying the product. The marketting hype made me feel like it is vaporware.

They got to get some what technical. How does it comapares or contrasts with an existing product, where people might use it, exactly what does it even do. Is it like an XMLSpy XML Editor ?
  10. Well - they at least managed to get people's attention. But that's all that I think they achieved - I couldn't quite get what the product is about, but that's also because I didn't spend too much time at their booth.