Discussions

News: What would you name Java SE 8?

1. What would you name Java SE 8? (136 messages)

In "Tiger for 5, Mustang for 6, Dolphin for 7. What for 8?," Kirill Grouchnikov asks what suggestions you'd have for Java SE 8. There's already a name in mind at Sun, but what would you suggest?

Personally, I'm hoping for "Addax," but that's just me. What criteria would you use to decide on a name? Lastly, what features do you think Java SE 8 might have, or what will it look like?

Threaded Messages (136)

2. What about "Whale"[ Go to top ]

I like to name it whale, since the JRE size as big as whale now, or dinasaurs.
  3. Firetail[ Go to top ]

The first name in my head was "firetail"...
  4. Bloatware![ Go to top ]

admit it, it is a bloat ware...
  5. shark??[ Go to top ]

shark or any of these ...........

http://www.sharks.com/types-of-sharks/
  6. What about "Whale"[ Go to top ]

Ha!! Thats the first thing that came to my mind too - Blue Whale!
  7. What will we call java se 8[ Go to top ]

Rhino.
  8. Lets call it Quantum[ Go to top ]

Hi,
       I think lets call JDK 8 Quantum, and we'll assume it to bring about the same change that quantum theory did.
  9. wow,it must be whale!!![ Go to top ]

i think so,hehe....
  10. Name of JSE 8[ Go to top ]

If give a chance i would name it "Liberty"
  11. flamingo[ Go to top ]

can fly
  12. Thagadu[ Go to top ]

Thagadu Thagadu!

Thanks - Satyaraj. Courtesy - Tamil(India) movie industry.

This is really one of the useless threads!!
  13. JSE 8: Octopus[ Go to top ]

I think the best suit is "Octopus".. it has 8 in its name..
  14. How about Cheetah?[ Go to top ]

Cheetah should be great name as it is very flexible, intelligent and agile.
  15. RE: How about Cheetah?[ Go to top ]

No, Cheetah is not a good name. William is going to be even more mad now.
  16. RE: How about Cheetah?[ Go to top ]

Cheetah is a cool name, I like it. I think it is the fastest mammal on earth, and will symbolize increased performance (shared inter-jvm libraries? SWT? real-time JVM?) ;)

АЦЦКИЙ ГЫПАРД ;)
  17. Pantera Pardus (lat)[ Go to top ]

Мурзык, кыц, кыц!
  18. Pantera Pardus (lat)[ Go to top ]

Бобик, фаззз!
  19. I would call it 'Next Step'.....[ Go to top ]

Well i suppose its not the end so, I know in future its goinna be somethin bigger than this so SE 8 will be just a 'Next Step'
  20. Getting bigger...[ Go to top ]

I would go for Whale or Elephant, by that time we're certainly going to reach the half a gig download size.

RGDS,
    Dominique.
  21. I'd go for Mammout[ Go to top ]

Atleast its not very airodynamic, plus its extinct and has a lot of furr.
  22. I mean "Mammoth"[ Go to top ]

sorry, forgot to spell-check.
  23. I think Java SE "LION".........;)
  24. Like the "Moon"[ Go to top ]

"Moon" could be a good name...
  25. Why not something more agressive like cobra, scorpio or tarentulla ?
  26. Panther[ Go to top ]

Why not something more agressive like cobra, scorpio or tarentulla ?

How about "Panther"?
  27. Java SE 8 "The Grouchie!!"[ Go to top ]

КГ/AM
  28. Java SE 8 "The Grouchie!!"[ Go to top ]

I think octopus will be good, I recommend this very much, octopus has 8 legs.

Octopus symbolizes Failover ability, Extensibility, Power, Maneuverability and much more.
  29. Java SE 8 "The Grouchie!!"[ Go to top ]

Аццкий сотона ;)
  30. Java SE 8 "The Grouchie!!"[ Go to top ]

Набор инструментов "Оч.Умелые Ручки" ;)
  31. Java SE 8 "The Grouchie!!"[ Go to top ]

В Бобруйск животные! ;)
  32. Java SE 8 "The Grouchie!!"[ Go to top ]

Пик Коммунизма! ;)
  33. Java SE 8 "The Gimalay"[ Go to top ]

Гымалайи
  34. ...[ Go to top ]

I'm assuming there sticking to mammals (main release) as names!!!

I wander if I'll guess right ;) ... but I'd prob give it any of these:

- Panda
    - Orca
    - Ocelot
    - Lemur

Or by time Java SE 8 comes out they would have changed the naming convension:)
  35. "Biscuit" i think that's nice.

Kev
  36. What would you name Java SE 8?[ Go to top ]

How about "Air buscuit" to really focus on the lightness of that implementation?
  37. How about "Maggot"[ Go to top ]

Because Java will be dead and rotting long before then if Sun doesn't get their act together.

Remember who this is coming from before you flame me.

Long live Java.
  38. id go for...[ Go to top ]

id say Robin 8 would be pretty cool.
  39. How about Monkey or Goat?[ Go to top ]

Intelligent yet with a charming tendency to fling their own dung. Much like humans in this respect.

Hey, how about a tastier animal in there. Give me something to really salivate over like goat! Nothing like an early morning goat burrito -- better than any coffee. Also, could be a sacrificial release kinda like Mustang seems to be from the specs. You know, to buy some time for the next releases feature set.

Or just start going through the chinese Zodiac and adopt whatever animal owns the year planned for shipment. If it slips over into the next year, you can always hyphenate upon shipment to the next appropriate animal.
  40. Platypus[ Go to top ]

I know, the platypus isn't exactly a mammal, but it isn't exactly anything else. Come on, female platyus give milk to their offspring, this has to be good enough.

... and by the time Java 8 is released, I'm sure it will include as many different features as a platypus.
  41. Wombat?[ Go to top ]

Actually, I was thinking of another marsupial: a wombat.

They're solid, tubby-looking animals with a surprising turn of speed (when required), and a cute, friendly demeanor.

Everything a good runtime environment should be ;-)

Jamie
  42. Is it just me, or this is the just another slow news post?
    Useless, absolutelly useless.

Cheers and happy coding,
    Martin
  43. Owl[ Go to top ]

as the two circles of the eight (if put flat) resembles the wise owle's eyes
  44. yeahhh
  45. Chicken[ Go to top ]

Think about it, the chicken is ubiquitous, everbody has benefitted from it as some time or another (I´m talking wings, eggs etc.) and, best of all, it´s native to the island of Java! (http://www.centralpets.com/animals/birds/wild_birds/wbd4317.html)
    I can´t think of anything better....
  46. RE: Chicken[ Go to top ]

Yeah, but everything tastes like chicken. That wouldn't be unique enough.

Brent
  47. What would you name Java SE 8?[ Go to top ]

How about NuNRG (New Energy). Since this will only be released in (guess) 15 years, by then net speak would have overtaken English as the dominant language ;)

Peace.
  48. T-Rex would be great[ Go to top ]

I think T-Rex would be great O:-)
  49. Cappuchino :))
  50. Shark[ Go to top ]

Nuff said.
  51. Bob. Then we could blame someone else.

"Blame it on Bob".
  52. I would go for "Cow tail"[ Go to top ]

And what about "Chicken leg" :)
  53. Peacock[ Go to top ]

About time a decent LAF was added to Swing.
  54. An the winner is ...[ Go to top ]

Beast.
    What about that ... ?
  55. And the winner is ...[ Go to top ]

Beast!!
  56. What would you name Java SE 8?[ Go to top ]

Isn't this suppose to be one of those "I have nothing to write" JavaLobby article?
  57. How aboot[ Go to top ]

JASOARTS

JAva Standard Operating And Runtime System.
  58. I can't believe no one has mentioned:

"The Ocho"
  59. I would name it Dragon. :)
  60. Puma[ Go to top ]

I thought of Whale and Platypus as well before I read the posting. I agree Octopus maybe the best for it though.

It must be market friendly name so it may be Puma, which is faster than a mustang.
  61. Yahourt !
  62. HammerHead[ Go to top ]

because it has cool eyes.
  63. I would call it ThunderBird
  64. "FireBall!!!"
  65. Spider, VB[ Go to top ]

But nobody would like an eight legged monster.

Why not V.B. (for Vanilla/Verve/Vestige/Vice/Victim/Virile/Viscious/Vital/Vogue/Void/Vulgar Bean ;-) ? Those two letters could do miracles for marketing...
  66. DODO for Java SE 8[ Go to top ]

What about dodo , i think that would be kind of cool and easy to pronounce whether in french , english , spanish , etc..

heehhe,
      Javed
  67. Does it matter right now?[ Go to top ]

Like playing childish games like guessing the names.
    Does the sound matter?
    Were it even Amoeba but the right choice to my needs then no problem!!
  68. Kangaroo or Joey (australian for young kangaroo)
  69. Going by the histroy of the java naming, one would definitely think of something wild and aggressive kind of beast yet stable and cool headed...and definitely it should retain its mark on the readers mind...

In my opinion, (not going for Godzilla :-)) mammoth is going to be the code name for java 8.
  70. Mammoth!!![ Go to top ]

Mammoth would be great!
  71. Mammoth!!![ Go to top ]

Mammoth would be great!
    Better not to give a name of an animal who failed to survive..
    :)
  72. What would you name Java SE 8?[ Go to top ]

Apparently hardly anyone posting here (as well as on Kirill's blog) is aware of the fact that Sun uses mammal names as code names for major Java SE releases (and I doubt that they intend to change that). This would reduce the set of candidates mentioned here to less than two handful (of which mammoth would be my personal favorite, too - even though I doubt Sun would want to name their product after something extinct for ages).

Regards,
    Jens
  73. Smells Good[ Go to top ]

How about 'aroma' !
  74. I think, when JRE reach 500MB, good name is Dragonfly
  75. What would you name Java SE 8?[ Go to top ]

Dragonfly was meant to be for JDK 1.5 (Java 5.1)...minor releases where named after insects between 1.2.* & 1.5.

My fav of the post are:
    - Hammerhead
    - Rhino
    - Orca (well that's mine)

http://java.sun.com/j2se/codenames.html

Besides there just code names to get the Java dev team inspired...etc. "Java" or "Java SE *" are strong enough names, albeit not that happy with the SE, there's nothing standard about Java!!! It's all powerful.

Good day all.
  76. ...[ Go to top ]

Dragonfly was meant to be for JDK 1.5 (Java 5.1)...minor releases where named after insects between 1.2.* & 1.5.

My fav of the post are:
    - Hammerhead (but unfortunately not a mammal)
    - Rhino
    - Orca (well that's mine)

http://java.sun.com/j2se/codenames.html

Besides there just code names to get the Java dev team inspired...etc. "Java" or "Java SE *" are strong enough names, albeit not that happy with the SE, there's nothing standard about Java!!! It's all powerful.

Good day all.
  77. Black[ Go to top ]

Simple and powerful ???
  78. Octopus[ Go to top ]

need to explain?
  79. ALIEN[ Go to top ]

The 8th Passenger
  80. How about JADOO.... It means Magic in Hindi Language... :))
  81. How about "sloth" ?[ Go to top ]

82. Snowman[ Go to top ]

"Snowman", because 8 looks a bit like a snowman :P
  83. Uirapuru[ Go to top ]

http://www.animalnet.com.br/mat_detail.asp?ConteudoID=343
  84. What About Tornedo ?[ Go to top ]

Tornedo Seems to be a very nice Name ;)
  85. may be Dragon
  86. What about ZooT ?[ Go to top ]

The coolest muppet in the muppet show, Not only is Zoot a blue Muppet, but he plays the blues. Zoot is a member of Electric Mayhem and he likes to belt out some jazz and a little blues from his saxophone.
    Of course there could be some copyright problems, but i think Zoot represents the java hacker in my mind, respects to his business[music] and do the best he could do [not for money, man!]
    One more thing, the name Zoot sounds like ROOT[which means GOD in a unix environment]
    What do you think ?
  87. What would you name Java SE 8?[ Go to top ]

black widow
  88. METAL[ Go to top ]

METAL...something solid and heavy!
  89. Crocodile[ Go to top ]

Mamounth is good, and good logic for using that, but it does not keep growing.

All the CRUFT there (Metal, GridBag, COBRBA (yes, CORBA is in rt.jar, EJB)... I think *Crocodile*.
    We even have a song "Crocodile Love".
    Nice when it was small... but now it does not fit even in the pool, plus it scares people to deploy it. Once it makes it in RT.jar... it never gets marked for deprecation.

Unless they mark entire thing as deprecated and just start with Groovy+SWT, or maybe GTK#. Then they can call it Phoniex. (it was once dead) Light and fast to get things done is what I think I need in future.

.V
  90. Pig
  91. No more animals[ Go to top ]

I'm tired of animals (especially those marketing animals applied to cars for men with small appendages). How about plants? I suggest...

Pumpkin.
  92. Dork[ Go to top ]

That's right, I'd call it "Dork".

So there.
  93. Nostril[ Go to top ]

Just another idea.
  94. Weiner[ Go to top ]

After all, Norbert was the dude.
  95. what about astronomy ?[ Go to top ]

Pegasus
    jaguar

Jupiter
    Andromeda
    Maellan
  96. Hello[ Go to top ]

In "Tiger for 5, Mustang for 6, Dolphin for 7. What for 8?," Kirill Grouchnikov asks what suggestions you'd have for Java SE 8. There's already a name in mind at Sun, but what would you suggest?Personally, I'm hoping for "Addax," but that's just me. What criteria would you use to decide on a name? Lastly, what features do you think Java SE 8 might have, or what will it look like?
  97. How about T-Rex?[ Go to top ]

T-Rex (Tyrannosaurus Rex) was one of the largest dinosaurs that ever lived and at the same time T-Rex was a fearsome for rest of the world, and we hope same will be true for JE-8 and its competitors!!!
  98. How about T-Rex? Mmmm....[ Go to top ]

...don't see any t-rex around, these days. Man is a quite more scary animal ;)
  99. I would call it Blade[ Go to top ]

Yeah. 'Blade' sounds nice.
  100. What would you name Java SE 8?[ Go to top ]

They should call it "shitbrick" because from the sounds of it so far, that's what it will be.
  101. I got It[ Go to top ]

i would go Viper

it sounds gr8 as well
  102. What would you name Java SE 8?[ Go to top ]

Torpedo!
  103. Womble[ Go to top ]

Java is always picking up stuff good and bad, never throws it out in case it's still useful in some way - kind of like a womble deprecating stuff to the back of his little cave when he finds a shiny new crisp packet...
  104. Java GOD[ Go to top ]

Why not! It's to many :)
  105. Phoenix[ Go to top ]

phoenix bird symbolizes immortality
  106. How about "Anant"[ Go to top ]

How about "Anant" meaning infinite coming from sanskrit.
  107. I can suggest Octopus
  108. My Suggetion is "UNICORN"

------Abhisek
  109. What would you name Java SE 8?[ Go to top ]

'Wolverine' is also cool!
  110. ummmm future is here[ Go to top ]

I suggest "crystal" , "blue eye"
  111. I suggest Dragon[ Go to top ]

I suggest Dragon.
  112. name it AUGUSTUS(8th month of the year)or LEO
  113. Golem[ Go to top ]

Simply "Golem" or maybe "Stone Golem"

Hard as a rock, stable as a building, but a little bit bulky and oversized...
  114. Golem made of Shit[ Go to top ]

..and surrounded by flowers
  115. All of these things have a manyfold of something: the octopus has lots of tentacles, the peacock lots of decorative feathers, the hydra lots of venomous heads :-)

I guess Java is getting bigger and stretching it's tentacles over more and more domains, putting up more and more decorative feathers, and growing 2 more heads in place of one cut down ;-)

Cheers,
    Csaba.
  116. How about VIPER?
  117. Complete the sequence...

Tiger, Mustang, Dolphin, ?

Puffer? (after the fish - to continue the land->marine sequence and to reflect the 'bloat' inference!)
  118. Geldof - Bob Geldof - Live 8[ Go to top ]

Organizer of http://www.live8live.com/
  119. I would name it Star Gate! Sounds powerfull and suggestive.
  120. MMM.. And what would you name Java SE 9 and 10? :)

I mean who cares? I hope it won't be a too much headache to write WORA apps for that zoo...
  121. EAGLE for 8[ Go to top ]

Analogical to the soaring Java development with the sky being the limit!
  122. Coffee[ Go to top ]

Because i can't live without
  123. Sharktopus!![ Go to top ]

how about sharktopus (if you're confused, google it already)
  124. What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    .William Shakespeare
    Well, ok, pick this name:
    Gosling
  125. RE: William Shakespeare is now angry.[ Go to top ]

Stupid post here deserves stupid replies.
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    .William Shakespeare
  126. In "Tiger for 5, Mustang for 6, Dolphin for 7. What for 8?," Kirill Grouchnikov asks what suggestions you'd have for Java SE 8. There's already a name in mind at Sun, but what would you suggest?Personally, I'm hoping for "Addax," but that's just me. What criteria would you use to decide on a name? Lastly, what features do you think Java SE 8 might have, or what will it look like?

I suggest 'Taj' means fresh. And It also means "LOVE", an Indian King built a Fort with name 'Taj'-- Taj Mahal, and gifted it to his lover, wife Mumtaj. It is one of the famous world wonders.
  127. Hi,

What about Moon? "Sun Releases Moon, New Eclipse" would make a good headline in TSS :)

Regards
    Sherlocksridhar
  128. could be feline[ Go to top ]

Lynx

Jaguar

Puma

(Leopard is not quite cool enough)

or a sea mammal? Orca, shark

(whale is not quite the right image)
  129. Inspiring[ Go to top ]

Something like 'GLADIATOR'
  130. Letz have it as "Peacock"
  131. Stupid post here deserves stupid replies.
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    .William Shakespeare
    How about Gosling?
  132. I don't care about the name.
    I want features, updates to the language specs.
    E.g.,
    -a proper implementation of generics w/o type erasure, which in IMHO was a big mistake,
    -proper design-by-contract, not the feeble assert. DBC should provide inheritable class/method signatures (see B.Meyer's book),
    -etc, etc.
  133. Could be a suggestion from the .NET community

134. Beluga[ Go to top ]

by that time it will be so bloated that the image of the chubby beluga whale comes to mind...
  135. Golden Eagle[ Go to top ]

Golden Eagle is name for Java SE 8. "Golden Eagle" flight is truly inspiring to watch. The way Golden Eagle soars upward and can see the world beneath. Java has reached Summit to be looked by awe and admiration.
  136. I thought only for letter B. We might have: Barbie, Bitch, Batman or Bamby
  137. Vega is Java 8[ Go to top ]

The star Vega shall given java 8 its name: Vega.

In the series of Star Trek movies, it was said that all the even numbered Star Trek films were the really good ones.  Java releases seem to follow the same trend.

I expect java 8 to be fabulous.  Until now, all version including java 7 have been 2 dimensional for  model-driven design purposes.  I expect java 8 to break that dimensional barrier. (I don't mean 2d or 3d graphics but design-wise.)

So, 8 being 2**3 (2 cubed) will be the singularity when object-oriented design breaks a barrier that you can almost see now, if you think like a Vegan. :)