Wanted: Cartoons!

Discussions

News: Wanted: Cartoons!

1. Wanted: Cartoons! (7 messages)

You may have noticed that Tales from the ServerSide, TSS' cartoon series, has been missing in action for quite a while.

It's because Your Humble Editors aren't exactly whizzes at the format. Writing cartoons is an art, after all.

Therefore, TSS would like to ask for your help. We'd love to see cartoon ideas from you, our readers, sent to editor at theserverside dot com or in this thread. The best ideas will be chosen and the authors rewarded with their name on the cartoon (if desired), and a little something-something. (Sorry, I'm not good with the modern slang. What's more, if I was good with it, I'm not sure how I'd type it. It's too phat for me.)

A great submission will have how many frames the cartoon has, as well as detail on each frame, any captions or narrative text, and anything else that you think might be relevant.

For example, a single-frame cartoon might look like this, except it'd be preferable if it were actually funny:
    One frame, titled "Commons-Mindset".

In this frame, there's a man on a scaffold, building another, slightly taller scaffolding. He's looking at another man on the ground, saying, "Of course I need to build each one..."
    So show us what you have!
  2. Wanted: Cartoons![ Go to top ]

Cartoons can be funny, but also exaggertions of the truths that no one would ever come out and say.

The recent announcements of IBM and BEA embracing and open source might be poked at with the following cartoon:

From the whole 'wag the dog' theme, how about one frame that shows two dogs on them. One dog will somehow symbolize IBM, the other BEA.

The tale of the IBM dog will depict the Geronimo team as the tail, wagging IBM. Perhaps we can even show a miniature Geir Magnusson riding on the tail. :)

The BEA dog can have a tail that represent's Spring framework, with Rod Johnson wagging the dog.

Now, if we want to make a cartoon with a sting, we could depict a JBoss tail wagging Sun. :)

Floyd
  3. Wanted: Cartoons![ Go to top ]

Cartoons can be funny, but also exaggertions of the truths that no one would ever come out and say. The recent announcements of IBM and BEA embracing and open source might be poked at with the following cartoon:From the whole 'wag the dog' theme, how about one frame that shows two dogs on them. One dog will somehow symbolize IBM, the other BEA. The tale of the IBM dog will depict the Geronimo team as the tail, wagging IBM. Perhaps we can even show a miniature Geir Magnusson riding on the tail. :)

Putting the the question of "who's wagging who" aside, better make that tail big... the entire Geronimo team needs to fit on it... including

Jan Bartel, David Blevins, Jeremy Boynes, Simone Bordot, Alan Cabrera, Hiram Chirino, Gianny D’Amour, Mark DeLaFranier, Jason Dillon, Jeff Genender, Jules Gosnell, David Jencks, Jacek Laskowski, Geir Magnusson, Jr., Aaron Mulder, Srinath Perera, John Sisson, Bruce Snyder, James Strachan, Davanum Srinivas, Dain Sundstrom, Greg Wilkins

:)

geir
  4. :)
  5. You will be injected![ Go to top ]

Rod Johnson's head being lowered Borg Queen-style into his body, while saying "You will be injected!".

This cartoon was created by a group of us at TSSJS 05 with the help of a few cocktails during a taxi ride from the Hilton StarTrek exhibit to Caesars.

I found this image of the Borg Queen via google: http://www.vfxhq.com/1996/stills/st8/aboard1.jpg

Chris

Enterprise POJOs blog - http://chris-richardson.blog-city.com
    Author, POJOs in Action - http://www.manning.com/crichardson
  6. You will be injected![ Go to top ]

You are the Uber Geek!
  7. Hello all,

I'm unable to send my absolutely hilarious submission to that address. It bounces.

It's way too hilarious to post in the thread, sadly.

Regards,
    Dustin
  8. Grrr, that's not good. In the meantime, send it to jottinger at techtarget dot com.