Lazy, stupid, and evil design for websites

Discussions

Blogs: Lazy, stupid, and evil design for websites

1. Werner Ramaekers has summed up an interview with Jakob Neilsen on some of the common errors made by web designers. Werner focuses on, in this case, flash intros, apparently finding it to be an easily avoided mistake. Good advice!

That said, a flash intro would be neat for TheServerSide...

Threaded Messages (4)

2. Usability isn't the problem[ Go to top ]

That was an iteresting article.

IMHO it isn't the usability that's killing web progress. I, like billions of people, have managed to muddle by for the last 12+ years using "web" applications that, despite being "ugly" and not be considered "vogue" by designers, work nonetheless.

The real impediments to "web" development seem to revolve around security, crappy browser technology, lack of standard support by certain browsers, incompatibility within a browser's own versions, bandwidth limitations, HTML limitations and limitations of the HTTP protocol itself; to name a few.

I'm not saying that you can't design a web app that's so terrible to use that no one will want to use it, I'm simply saying that I don't think design is what's holding the "web" back.
  3. I, like billions of people, have managed to muddle by for the last 12+ years using "web" applications that, despite being "ugly" and not considered "vogue" by designers, work nonetheless.
  4. no flash please[ Go to top ]

PLEASE, please, please
    NO FLASH crap

And the less javascript, the better. Real good web-designers need neither.
  5. no flash please[ Go to top ]

but do you thinnk that;s what's holding back progress on the web, flash?