Discussions

News: IDEA 5.0 released

1. IDEA 5.0 released (66 messages)

Jetbrains has announced the release of IDEA 5.0, their flagship Java editor.

The new release has many updates for J2EE development, such as enhanced HTML, CSS, Javascript, and JSP support, as well as better EJB support.

Many new refactorings also went into IDEA for support of Java SE features, and Java 5 is fully supported in the editor.

IDEA 5.0 is priced at $499 per license and is available for purchase on JetBrains' web site. For those who purchased IDEA 4.5 after May 1, the IDEA 5.0 upgrade is available free of charge via download from http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/.

Threaded Messages (66)

2. IDEA 5.0 released[ Go to top ]

Jumping the gun a bit? Their website has no mention of the final release.
  3. IDEA 5.0 released[ Go to top ]

It's getting close, though. Last 8 public builds are only bug fixes, no more new features.
  4. Too bad they don't port it to SWT[ Go to top ]

How anyone can stand looking at those Swing fonts 10 hours a day is beyond me. And recent mustang builds still aren't near freetype or cleartype.
  5. No release yet[ Go to top ]

You are right, no release. All they offer is free upgrade to 5.0 whenever it is released.
    I like intelliJ very much but is it really $499 better than Eclipse remains subject to another debate.
  6. No release yet[ Go to top ]

I like intelliJ very much but is it really $499 better than Eclipse remains subject to another debate.

So if it saves you only 5 hours a year, that should easily be worth $499. That works out to only 90 seconds a day it has to save to pay for itself, if you only work 200 days a year. (My copy of IDEA gets used well over 300 days a year, so it only has to save me about a measely minute each day. Easily worth it :-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol Coherence: Clustered Shared Memory for Java
  7. Top value[ Go to top ]

So if it saves you only 5 hours a year, that should easily be worth $499.

Got to agree with Cam, it's a no-brainer, halve the payback time if you're not earning $$$s :-)

A great product, one of the few.

-John-
  8. Perforce integration[ Go to top ]

A great product, one of the few.-John-
    Yes, a truly wonderful piece of software. A major reason to upgrade for me is the Perforce integration (another great piece of software in its own way) which, from today's testing, seems like it is very well thought out.

I think I'll just refuse to work on any project that doesn't use IDEA/Perforce from now on :-)
  9. IDEA ROI[ Go to top ]

That works out to only 90 seconds a day it has to save to pay for itself, if you only work 200 days a year.

Well, you have to substract the starting time which is 2 minutes.
  10. 2 minutes every .... week?[ Go to top ]

Right, it takes two minutes to start, and then it stays up for days at a time without crashing or slowing down. I'm sure that there are plugins and some minor features which can cause it to crash -- I've seen it happen myself -- but for regular Java development it tends to run until I quit for some other reason.

My friends who have migrated from Eclipse say that two things motivate them, 1) the features and 2) the stability.

--james
  11. 2 minutes every .... week?[ Go to top ]

I thought he meant it takes two minutes to learn IDEA and become super-productive with it. :-)

John Hurst
  12. 2 minutes every .... week?[ Go to top ]

My friends who have migrated from Eclipse say that two things motivate them, 1) the features and 2) the stability.--james

While I can agree on 1), I definitely do not agree on 2). I use Eclipse since 2.1 and never had any stability issues. Even the Milestone releases were stable, I used them even in my daily work. Eclipse itself never crashed. A different issue are of course badly programmed plugins. I did have some problems with plugins eating up all CPU or memory - but that's not the fault of Eclipse, and in most cases there is more than one plugin to do the job, so you have the choice.

The only thing I really hate is the absence of a good JSP editor. I tried MyEclipse, Lomboz, WTP etc. and none of these plugins really convinced me. Either there are features missing, or you are forced to structure your project in a certain way. I hope that the final release of WTP will solve these problems.
  13. One of reason to drop the jsp[ Go to top ]

Jsp is too cumbersome to ide developers to make good editor untill now. So I consider to drop jsp. IMHO Using jsp to me is some kind of antipattern, so exellent jsp editors just encourage you do things wrong.

P.S. I read in "Bug patterns in Java" something like that:
    "Theory of Automatons have proved that NO software tool can statically definately detect which program(subprogram) cause NullPointerException".
    How this relates to new feature in IDEA to detect NPE ?
  14. One of reason to drop the jsp[ Go to top ]

Well, doesn't it help if it detects - let's say - 95% of NPEs?

Otherwise this correlates to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entscheidungsproblem

me thinks. Beside the theoretical problems there are problems like reflection etc. But for sure, detection of 95% of NPEs does help me at least.
  15. One of reason to drop the jsp[ Go to top ]

P.S. I read in "Bug patterns in Java" something like that:"Theory of Automatons have proved that NO software tool can statically definately detect which program(subprogram) cause NullPointerException".How this relates to new feature in IDEA to detect NPE ?

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

In theory, there is no general algorithm that can detect if a program will stop. In practice, you can have a tool that detects possible infinite loops and infinite recursions. So, while it's not perfect, it provides an 80% solution to the general problem.

It is similar with the NPE detection. In theory, I cannot know with absolute certainty that some method will not return null. In practice, I can mark the method with a @NotNull annotation and essentially cut the analysis problem in half. When looking at the method itself, the tool can check to make sure it doesn't return null (or any @Nullable reference). When looking at the method's clients, the tool can assume that any @NotNull reference is actually not null.

It doesn't guarantee that NPEs will be detected, but it provides a foundation for adding annotations to your code to track nullity, and highlights any code that contradicts the annotations. It's much better than trying to decipher NPE stacktraces. So, again, you get an 80% solution for %20 of the effort.
  16. Time savings[ Go to top ]

So if it saves you only 5 hours a year, that should easily be worth $499. That works out to only 90 seconds a day it has to save to pay for itself, if you only work 200 days a year. (My copy of IDEA gets used well over 300 days a year, so it only has to save me about a measely minute each day. Easily worth it :-)

In theory that's true. But if I have to wait at least a minute for a compile to check dependencies (large project, IDEA 4.5), the savings reduce _drastically_. So, according to your calculation, if I only compile 5 times a day, 200 days a year, that would cost me at least 16.7 hours a year (or about 1670$ if you assume 100$/h, as you did).

So, what I'm actually trying to say is: theory is theory, practice is practice. IMHO, you cannot strictly measure the amount of time your IDE saves you.

Regards,
        Dirk
  17. No release yet[ Go to top ]

is it really $499 better than Eclipse

Well for those already using IDEA the upgrade cost is usually around $200 every 2-3 years. Not too bad for a top quality product.

I use both about equally. IDEA, when I have a choice and Eclipse when I'm forced to. I like Eclipse fine but it isn't nearly as "polished" feeling to me.

If I had to say something bad about IDEA it is that it performs a lot better on Windows than on Macs. On my Mac G4 laptop it is still a great IDE but feels more sleepy. Not sure why.

Hopefully the Subversion integration is well done.

IDEA 4.0 had a great JSP editor so I'm guessing they just made it better.

Anyway, I'll probably plop my cash down.
  18. No release yet[ Go to top ]

Hell, I spent that much on a good DeWalt cutoff saw and stand. You have to invest in tools to do a job.

-Pete
  19. No release yet[ Go to top ]

Hell, I spent that much on a good DeWalt cutoff saw and stand. You have to invest in tools to do a job.

But thinking that more expensive tools will lead to a better result is a common misconception. Good software can be developed with vi as well.

The $499 you pay more for choosing IDEA over Eclipse are spent solely on the features which you really need and IDEA provides but Eclipse is missing. If using those features saves you a minute per day, IDEA might be a good investment.

Just my $.02,
    Lars
  20. Joy of Work[ Go to top ]

If using those features saves you a minute per day, IDEA might be a good investment.Just my $.02, Lars

I think this discussion is bizarre. Even if it does not safe you any money, there might be reasons to buy it, especially as an individual.

If you like to use something that is well built, well thought out and generally is a pleasure to use, why not spend money on it? People buy iPods all the time and refuse to drive a Chrysler Neon instead of a Dodge RAM. This might even hold true for a business: In the mid term, satisfaction at work may be as important as productivity.

For example, personally, I don't like the way eclipse organizes its artifacts into "workspaces" and "projects" very much as it tends to create much too fine a level of project segmentation. While my current assignment is with using eclipse and it is a fine tool, I like IDEA just a little bit better - and would always be prepared to pay the premium.
  21. Neon vs. Dodge Ram?[ Go to top ]

[blockquote]People buy iPods all the time and refuse to drive a Chrysler Neon instead of a Dodge RAM.[/blockquote]
    I refuse to buy both, and I hope that IDEA is neither. I have a zippy Prelude with quite a few more miles in it (I mean IDEA 3.0, which I still use). I did not care for UI Designer in 4.0, and I don't care for JSP/XML editing in 5.0. But I might eventually upgrade to get Java 1.5 support.
  22. No release yet[ Go to top ]

But thinking that more expensive tools will lead to a better result is a common misconception. Good software can be developed with vi as well.The $499 you pay more for choosing IDEA over Eclipse are spent solely on the features which you really need and IDEA provides but Eclipse is missing. If using those features saves you a minute per day, IDEA might be a good investment.Just my $.02, Lars

But it's not just about how much time you save (and watching IntelliJ developers work and Eclipse developers work I'd say it does help in this area) it's also quality of experience. Using Intellij for me is like using a Mac or riding in an Audi, it's not just about features or raw metrics like speed or acceleration it's about how it feels to use it. How it makes you feel, I don't catch myself saying 'goddamn Intellij!' but I will for a lot of software.

So ultimately, why I feel like that is less important than the fact it does make me feel that way :-)
  23. Given 499 is a fraction of what one manday of development costs in any developed (OECD) country it is likely to be worth it.

My personal exeperience was that I've spend time equivalent of $1000 CAD ($800 USD) trying to get a working
    combination of plugins for no licence cost tool. After that I have convinced decision makers that buying a reasonably priced commercial development tool will probably break even within 4 months.

I still agree that it may be difficult to justify costs of 4k licences for cadillac style IDEs, especially if many of provided features rarely or never used. $500 though should be non-issue for any commericial application development.

Just my experience,
    Michael
  24. 499 for IDE[ Go to top ]

Although it may be worth it for my employer to pay for IDEA over Eclipse, it wouldn't be worth it for me personally at home. And one major benefit of Eclipse is that I use it at home and at work and everywhere in between. I wouldn't want to keep up to date on both.
  25. Reread the IDEA license.[ Go to top ]

Although it may be worth it for my employer to pay for IDEA over Eclipse, it wouldn't be worth it for me personally at home. And one major benefit of Eclipse is that I use it at home and at work and everywhere in between. I wouldn't want to keep up to date on both.

You can use it at home as long as it isn't being used at the office at the same time. (cloning? quantum tunneling? telekinesis?)

Hell, I run it on Windows, Linux, and MacOS X, a grand total of 5 different systems, all off one license. Since no one else has my license key, and since I am never developing in front of two machines at once, it's all legal.
  26. Even in OECD...[ Go to top ]

I'm not necessarily trying to dispute that IDEA is worth investing your $500 in, but to add a little reality check on the exact numbers - there are developed (OECD) countries, where the IDEA licence represents a few mandays' worth of development costs.

Martin Jelen
  27. Java 5.0 Tough on JetBrains?[ Go to top ]

The list of new features in IDEA 5.0 is somewhat underwhelming. JSP 2.0 and J2ME are the most notable. Otherwise, they had to roll out all of their Java 5.0 related stuff as part of 4.5. So really 4.5 was the big upgrade.
  28. Java 5.0 Tough on JetBrains?[ Go to top ]

If you're doing JSP or J2ME development, then it would be a pretty significant upgrade would it not? If you were even using Subversion it would be a big upgrade. The MPS is also a 5.0 only feature (granted MPS is still in beta).

Just because it's not significant to you doesn't mean it's not significant to others.
  29. ClearCase support[ Go to top ]

Does Idea 5.0 provide integrated support for Clearcase? Or do you know a (good) plugin that could do this job?

In eclipse, it took me one day to integrate the oficial ClearCase plugin (IBM) and now it works. Can I do the same with Idea (I am considering switching from Eclipse to Idea, to see if it is a viable solution).

Alex
  30. IDEA ClearCase plugin[ Go to top ]

There is a pretty good ClearCase plug-in for IDEA which works just fine with 4.5.
    http://www.intellij.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/ClearcasePlugin
    I hear that not all its features work yet with 5.0.
    I also heard that somebody is working on fixing that (see IntelliJ forums for more information).
    I would also love to see IntelliJ providing full support for that plug-in.

Besides usability improvements the most useful 5.0 feature for me is 170+ new code inspections.

Artem
  31. Feature lists[ Go to top ]

The list of new features in IDEA 5.0 is somewhat underwhelming. JSP 2.0 and J2ME are the most notable. Otherwise, they had to roll out all of their Java 5.0 related stuff as part of 4.5. So really 4.5 was the big upgrade.

Michael, scanning a feature list is unfortunately not going to give you a full impression of the benefits of upgrading to 5.0. We'll leave the feature lists primarily to the JBuilders and Eclipses out there, which thrive on that stuff. In the mean time, we're working on new ways to get our message out to people. One way will be to develop screencasts of live usage of IDEA. But until that's ready, let me know what you think of these two pages: Why IntelliJ IDEA and What's for You in IntelliJ IDEA 5.0?. The first should give you an idea of the philosophy behind IDEA, and the second is a 'benefit list' rather than the traditional feature list. Let me know what you think.
  32. IDEA 5.0 released[ Go to top ]

The press release was published too early. I'll post the official news here as a comment when it is ready.
  33. 'Official' announcement[ Go to top ]

Okay, the site is updated. Here's the official news:
    ====
    JetBrains, Inc., creators of intelligent, productivity-enhancing applications, today announced the release of IntelliJ IDEA 5.0, the newest version of the company's award winning Java IDE.

IntelliJ IDEA 5.0 is a professional-grade tool for developers working in situations where time is money and sustained productivity is a measure of success. Staying always in close touch with those who use the IDE daily, JetBrains carefully designed IntelliJ IDEA 5.0 to bring out the very best in Java development, amplifying and validating their community-oriented approach with dedicated customer support for which the company is noted.

"Version 5.0 continues the JetBrains history of changing how developers think about programming," said Eugene Belyaev, JetBrains president and CTO. "Developers, like athletes, sometimes refer to being 'in the flow' or 'in the zone,' where time recedes into the background and a person's abilities open to their fullest. Tools that help developers reach this superstate are invaluable because developer productivity skyrockets, as those who use IntelliJ IDEA often attest."

This release is jam-packed with new features and improvements to maximize your productivity. This list is just a sample of what's new:

• Web and Enterprise development
      • Enhanced JSP support (covering JSP 2.0) with unparalleled level of code understanding that IDEA users originally had for Java, including refactorings and code inspections, import optimization, code completion, validation, formatting, navigation, finding usages, etc.
      • HTML, CSS, JavaScript, JSP Expression Language, and property files support, with all smart editing and error highlighting features, including code completion, refactorings, navigation, inspections, finding usages and more
    • More than 170 new code inspections help improve your code quality and avoid bugs:
      • Improved configuration options to make it easy to change which inspections are highlighted on-the-fly as you code, and which are run during offline inspections (as part of a code review process)
      • Revolutionary detection of possible NullPointerExceptions and API contract compliance verification based on Java 5.0 annotations helps you avoid some of the nastiest bugs around -- and it works instantly as you type!
      • Internationalization tool with dedicated inspection and quick-fix to move hard-coded strings to a resource bundle
    • Subversion and Perforce VCS integrations
    • Enhanced Codebase navigation and presentation including:
      • Favorites views
      • External stacktrace navigation with unscrambling support
      • Quick content lookup
      • Image files browser and thumbnails view
      • Backward and cyclic dependencies analysis for class/package/module/project
    • New refactorings and important improvements to the existing ones -- including world's most complete Move Method refactoring, and propagating parameters and exceptions in the call-stack with Change Method Signature
    • More flexible debugger, with dependent breakpoints and custom object views
    • J2ME support
    • Import of JBuilder and Eclipse projects
    • Enhanced Open API for more flexible and complex extensions (with the new Plugin module type, for easier running/debugging/deploying); it is now possible to create language plugins, with the same level of editor smartness that IDEA provides for Java

For more complete details, see What's New in IntelliJ IDEA 5.0. If you'd like to try out 5.0, you can download a trial copy and get a free 30-day evaluation license.
  34. 'Official' announcement[ Go to top ]

You still need to fix the download page. It's still showing version 4.5.4.
  35. 'Official' announcement[ Go to top ]

You may need to refresh your browser cache. It shows up fine for me.
  36. For people who have personal licenses (like myself), there is a $149 upgrade offer until Sept 1st. Imagine being allowed to upgrade to 5.0 from 2.0 for $149!!

``JetBrains has had a tradition of supporting individual developers purchasing IntelliJ IDEA at their own expense by offering seasonal Personal License specials. Following in this “age old” tradition, JetBrains is now offering a new cost-saving limited time opportunity that allows individual developers licensed to any older version of IntelliJ IDEA to upgrade to version 5.0 at a reduced cost.
    To qualify for the offer, you must

* be an individual IntelliJ IDEA user;
        * have an IntelliJ IDEA license for version 4.x, 3.x or 2.x registered in your personal name.``

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/upgrade/personal_upgrade.html
  37. Absolutely worth the $$[ Go to top ]

If you're a professional graphics designer, do you use GIMP or Photoshop? Thousands of designers shell out more $$ for Photoshop and never think twice.

Considering I spend at least as much time in my IDE as the average designer does in Photoshop, it's absolutely worth the price. It amazes me that engineering groups routinely skimp on tools for their developers when they don't think twice about buying a copy of MS Office for every employee in the company. Including the receptionist who probably just uses it to write letters to grandma.

If you're already using 4.5, here's the things I've noticed about 5.0 that are head and shoulders above what you have now:

* Subversion integration -- far far better than every other plugin I've tried, if you can even get them to work. Significantly better than standalone apps due to the VCS integration alone. I still miss Perforce from my last company, but it makes the conversion from CVS to Subversion an easy sell.

* JSPs -- JSTL 1.1 support is very good

* XML -- Far better XML editing, including schema validation for everything short of some XPath / referential integrity checks (I'd bug that it doesn't enforce <xsd:keyref> constraints if I wasn't a lazy sumbitch. It *does* enforce xsd:key and xsd:unique.)

* Much improved HTML editing.

* Lotsa nice intention additions

That's just what I've noticed in the last few days since I downloaded it simply to get Subversion support.

I'll absolutely be buying the upgrade.

James Waldrop
  38. Absolutely worth the $$[ Go to top ]

Considering I spend at least as much time in my IDE as the average designer does in Photoshop, it's absolutely worth the price.

I'm upgrading the team licenses today.

James was spot on: if you spend all your time using a particular tool - you really should not cut corners. Heck - while you're at it, make sure you're using a good quality keyboard, monitor and chair!

Andrew.
  39. Upgrade Special for Individuals $149[ Go to top ]

The Individual upgrade is not just for 'personal' licenses, it's for anyone with an 'individual' (your personal name, not a company name) license.
  40. fabrique[ Go to top ]

i know there is an eap for fabrique, but does anyone know of a rough time-line for the project? i've read recently that they are going to develop it on idea which could make it an awesome development environment.
  41. Velocity plugin[ Go to top ]

Does anyone know of a Velocity plugin for IDEA ?
    Anyone working on it ?

Maarten
  42. Velocity plugin[ Go to top ]

Does anyone know of a Velocity plugin for IDEA ?Anyone working on it ?Maarten

What kind of support for Velocity are you looking for? I believe (at least in 3.0.4, Velocity is used for their file templating feature (ala code generation), I use it for several different file types in my env.
  43. Velocity plugin[ Go to top ]

What kind of support for Velocity are you looking for? I believe (at least in 3.0.4, Velocity is used for their file templating feature (ala code generation), I use it for several different file types in my env.

I know you can use velocity for creating custom code templates.
    Very handy indeed, but I was looking for velocity-aware syntax-highlighting and code completion.
  44. Velocity plugin[ Go to top ]

Ok, Eclipse is free, but IDEA is ...addictive
  45. IDEA 5.0 released[ Go to top ]

I also love IDEA, but have there are some cons. The popularity of Eclipse allows it to thrive with many usuful plugins (and a choice of them at that) that are not available or there is only once choice of them for IDEA. Say UML, the only UML plugin that allows to draw diagrams as well as outputs souurce, dynamic synching of code, reverse engineering, etc... Visual Paradigm is the only tool available and with a pretty high price tag, especially if some project you are working on requires only a fraction of a full blown tool functionality. For eclipse say, there are numerous plugins and even free ones, with just as much functionality.

So I think usability wise, IDEA wins, plugin wise, Eclipse is King. Depending on the project you are working on, you make the right choice.
  46. Shows error "org/jdom/Document" in Eclipse 3.1
  47. Shows error "org/jdom/Document" in Eclipse 3.1

I get the same error. Export from eclipse 3.1 does not work. I was really looking forward to this feature - I guess I'll have to wait till the 5.0.1 release -:(
  48. Export from eclipse 3.1 does not work. I was really looking forward to this feature - I guess I'll have to wait till the 5.0.1 release -:(

Likewise. I wasn't looking forward to porting our 20-odd project workspace from Eclipse to IDEA, and the plugin looked perfect.

Bugger.
  49. My switch to 5 experiences[ Go to top ]

I switched recently to 5.0 from 4.5.x...

This is what I liked much better:

* CVS integration is better. Allows me to backmerge and resolve conflicts much better.

* XML support seems much less buggier.

* Annotation indenting was broken in 4.5.x. Fixed now in 5.0

* Move method feature is cool.

What I really need now though is a serialVersionUID generator. Anybody have one? I saw a plugin, but it didn't work in EAP of 5.

Also, anybody got any other cool things they especially like in 5? Let me know.

Bill
  50. serialVersionUID[ Go to top ]

[...]
    What I really need now though is a serialVersionUID generator. Anybody have one? [...]

I always wondered why people would want to do that and not rely on the build-in JVM serialization mechanism. Could you explain what the advantage of providing (and maintaining) a static serialVersionUID field is?

Regards,
        Dirk
  51. serialVersionUID[ Go to top ]

[...]What I really need now though is a serialVersionUID generator. Anybody have one? [...]
    I always wondered why people would want to do that and not rely on the build-in JVM serialization mechanism. Could you explain what the advantage of providing (and maintaining) a static serialVersionUID field is?Regards,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Dirk

Although the JVM usually complains about version differences, the JVM can handle the addition or removal of fields when deserializing an object. The serialization spec describes what values are assigned to fields that aren't present in the serialized object. If you need to support multiple versions of a class, maintaining the same serialVersionUID can help with that. This is especially true when you aren't changing the data members but just adding new methods, since that also causes the serialVersionUID to change. If you decide that a new version of a class is not compatible with the previous ones, you can always change the serialVersionUID. At least that's what I have used it for in the past.

You are still relying on the built-in serialization mechanism, btw, you are just allowing it to work with versions of classes that may be slightly different.
  52. serialVersionUID[ Go to top ]

Could you explain what the advantage of providing (and maintaining) a static serialVersionUID field is?

To control versioning. You may make a small change in a class that changes the ID per the JVM serialization mechanism, but which does not actually introduce incompatible changes to your deserialization strategy.

In such a case, you would get an exception if you tried to deserialize the new version of the class with an older client. You can prevent this by forcing the new class to have the same serialVersionUID as the old class.
  53. serialVersionUID[ Go to top ]

What I really need now though is a serialVersionUID generator. Anybody have one?
    IDEA acutally has one. Enable Settings|Errors|Serialization issues|Serializable class without serialVersionUID field. This one comes with the quickfix that generate said field and initializes its value.
  54. Looking forward to it![ Go to top ]

We just bought into IBM big time so they're pushing us to use RSA. I've never been a big Eclipse fan. I'm hoping I can hold out and use IDEA on the sly.

Any idea if 5.0 will wipe out any settings? I ran into a problem trying to get 4.5 to quit wiping out my Weblogic settings from 4.0. I couldn't get Weblogic working for some reason under 4.5 and gave up, so I've been using 4.0 instead.
  55. Looking forward to it![ Go to top ]

Any idea if 5.0 will wipe out any settings? I ran into a problem trying to get 4.5 to quit wiping out my Weblogic settings from 4.0. I couldn't get Weblogic working for some reason under 4.5 and gave up, so I've been using 4.0 instead.

I'm not aware of a problem like this, but if you have any such problems, you can of course contact the support team http://www.jetbrains.com/support/idea/. They will help you solve it.
  56. Sorta worked[ Go to top ]

I'm not aware of a problem like this, but if you have any such problems, you can of course contact the support team http://www.jetbrains.com/support/idea/. They will help you solve it.

Just tried it out. Most of my setting were retained when I went back to 4.0 but I had to point my debug config back to the right Weblogic config. But when I started 5.0 I remembered what I never figured out. With 4.0, I just have my source as the project. I build with Ant and deploy my war and ear to Weblogic. Works like a dream. With 4.5 and 5.0 I guess you have to create some other "project" to associate with Weblogic or it won't work. Never figure out what I was supposed to do. Oh well.
  57. Sorta worked[ Go to top ]

Just tried it out. Most of my setting were retained when I went back to 4.0 but I had to point my debug config back to the right Weblogic config. But when I started 5.0 I remembered what I never figured out. With 4.0, I just have my source as the project. I build with Ant and deploy my war and ear to Weblogic. Works like a dream. With 4.5 and 5.0 I guess you have to create some other "project" to associate with Weblogic or it won't work. Never figure out what I was supposed to do. Oh well.

It sounds like you are not using the Web modules support. It's easy. Just set up a Web Module in your project, configure Weblogic, configure your paths, etc. There's more information in the online help under Managing Projects, and J2EE Support - Web Application Deployment. It's really very easy. Once you have this set up, you get all the web related features. If you don't want to bother with Weblogic deployment, you can instead just configure a generic container. Any problems, you can contact support.
  58. Hibernate and Spring Plugins[ Go to top ]

Any word on Hibernate 3x and Spring support ?
  59. Enjoy it[ Go to top ]

I have already tried the new version yesterday, it's real good.
    And the 5.0 is so much different from 4.5, smart GUI and new feature support Java EE development added.
  60. IDEA 5.0 released[ Go to top ]

Really awsome product.. but something that annoyed me today when removing some plugins... why can't i remove more than one plugin at at time.. remove,restart,remove,restart.. you should do something about that.
  61. IDEA 5.0 released[ Go to top ]

It is annoying that you can only remove one at a time, however, you do NOT have to restart between each plugin you remove. The same thing applies to adding plugins.
  62. IDEA 5.0 released[ Go to top ]

Ok thanks Marc, I see now that I only have to exit the plugin menu and enter it again... but even that shouldn't be necessary.
  63. IDEA 5.0 released[ Go to top ]

Actually, you don't have to restart the plugin window either. Just keep telling it which ones you don't want loaded anymore and then when you're done you can restart.
  64. IDEA 5.0 released[ Go to top ]

Marc I'm on a mac.. i don't know if that have something to do with it. But I'ts only on the first plugin that it asks if I'm sure i want to remove the plugin and shows it as being removed after restart.
  65. IDEA 5.0 released[ Go to top ]

That's a bug then. It works fine on the PC. I would report it.
  66. Velocity plugin[ Go to top ]

Hello, I want to know if you found the velocity-aware syntax-highlighting and code completion plugin ... I need this kind of plugin, so I would appreciate your reply.

Florin
  67. I am totally addicted to IntelliJ, and - for $149 per personal copy - I am tempted to upgrade to 5.0 even though I don't really care about the enhancements in the UI/JSP/XML/HTML editing tools. It is the best IDE I have ever used (and I have used many, including various non-java tools.) Unfortunately, I am forced to use Eclipse these days because I am using aspects. IntelliJ does not support AspectJ, period! There are no plug-ins available, and JetBrains seems to have dropped any discussions of the subject completely. That is devastating to me because, after having used IDEA for about 3-4 years now - Eclipse, no matter how good it is, just doesn't even come close.