Greg Luck: "Ruby is hot, Java is cool, C# is neither"

Discussions

Blogs: Greg Luck: "Ruby is hot, Java is cool, C# is neither"

1. Greg Luck, in "OSCON2005: Ruby is hot, Java is cool, C# is neither," documents his perception of the discussions of languages at OSCON2005.
    ... The O'Reilly book sales charts show that Java spiked and C# started to decline after JDK 1.5 was released. JDK 1.5 added the most highly sought after C# features, such as simplified iterators, annotations and auto boxing. With generics, JDK 1.5 goes out in front of C#. With JDK 1.6, Java will add XML processing to the core, eliminating another point of differene with C#. Ruby and Python are different. C# is a copy of Java and then some. So I think more people would rather be drinking Coke than Pepsi...

Threaded Messages (9)

2. I should say its only the perception, remember C# was born out of the World of OS, by the so called enemy of OS, so it wasnt support by anyone on the mayor leagues (including Microsoft) during the OSCON. The author, Greg Luck, supports Mono ... .net ... C#

Languaje history:
    http://www.levenez.com/lang/ (very good compilation)

simplifing it:

Java 1 = Oak = Objective-C + Ada + C++ + Cedar + Smalltalk + Scheme

Ruby = Python + CLU + Eiffel + SmallTalk + Perl

C# 1.0 = C++ + Java + Delphi + VB

C# 2.0 = C# 1.0 + Ruby

Java 2 (v1.5.0) = C# 2.0 + Java 2 (v1.4.2.03)

Has any one seen C Omega...the descendant of C# 2.0?

If ruby is hot then C# is hot, java is cool c# is cool, c# is cool and hot so java is cool and hot too...the circle of languajes is complete. Both worlds are cool and hot =) No fighting...

Remember that if it's OS or CS (Close software, not csharp lol), the developers make the diference. I certainly don't support OS, just open knowledge (support others to learn), cuz OS makes non-programmers earn for support, and programmers who would never open theyre own company that would depend on manufacturing software...even if they do the code can be copied by anyone, so the work in what you spended thousands of dollars, on hardware, energy, payrolls, etc...isn't worth. So if I supported OS i would love to make money by supporting Linux or something like that, taking the money from RedHat, SUSE or Mandrake.

Live the little programmers who make software for other companies alone, don't destroy our abilities and leave us as helpdesk personnel.
  3. "the developers make the diference"

No they don't, not if the platform architecture is poor. C# is a language. Java is a platform. You cannot say that C# is hot because Java is. The Java platform is a success, .Net is not. This has nothing to do with the programming languages develops use, it has to do with compilers, VM implementations, etc.

Thus Java is hot, C# is cool.
  4. response to above posting[ Go to top ]

Java is a platform. You cannot say that C# is hot because Java is. The Java platform is a success, .Net is not.

I would argue that .NET is a success. In my neck of the woods, .NET skills are highly sought after.

And here's a thought that will likely draw a lot of fire. Is it really fair to compare .NET to Java 1.5? Java 1.5 has gone through 3 MAJOR revolutions and several others. Wouldn't it make sense to compare .NET to Java 1.0 or maybe Java 1.2? In that case, .NET has come a long way.

I realize this comparison is somewhat spurious due to the fact that C# took a lot of its constructs and knowledge from Java.
  5. Dot Net Pays!!! I agree[ Go to top ]

Hi All,
    This is from India - the core of IT outsourcing ! Fact of the matter is that Dot Net skills are still sought after-and they get paid well too . Dont know thats because dot net is hot/cool/indeterminate but because its new and there is shortage of trained people , also there are still many cos who have used MS technologies before and would like to stick to it.
    On the otherhand Java since its too good that there is surplus of Java programmers.

At the end of the day -I donot see if it makes a point to really stick to a technology because of its features.Its the market that drives this decision.

But as a Java programmer I would love to see it blossom further to perfection .

Cheers
    Kunal
  6. I worked with both languages for a while, but I couldn't justify going with C# because it was designed to run only on MS Windows. C# does provide some high level abstractions that lower development time, but I prefer platform flexibility in my skill set. I'm aware of the open source C# effort, but I don't require C# unless I'm going to build something specifically for the MS Windows platform and don't want to use any bridges to access COM objects or Assemblies.

I should say its only the perception, remember C# was born out of the World of OS, by the so called enemy of OS, so it wasnt support by anyone on the mayor leagues (including Microsoft) during the OSCON. The author, Greg Luck, supports Mono ... .net ... C#Languaje history:http://www.levenez.com/lang/ (very good compilation)simplifing it:Java 1 = Oak = Objective-C + Ada + C++ + Cedar + Smalltalk + SchemeRuby = Python + CLU + Eiffel + SmallTalk + PerlC# 1.0 = C++ + Java + Delphi + VBC# 2.0 = C# 1.0 + RubyJava 2 (v1.5.0) = C# 2.0 + Java 2 (v1.4.2.03)Has any one seen C Omega...the descendant of C# 2.0?If ruby is hot then C# is hot, java is cool c# is cool, c# is cool and hot so java is cool and hot too...the circle of languajes is complete. Both worlds are cool and hot =) No fighting...Remember that if it's OS or CS (Close software, not csharp lol), the developers make the diference. I certainly don't support OS, just open knowledge (support others to learn), cuz OS makes non-programmers earn for support, and programmers who would never open theyre own company that would depend on manufacturing software...even if they do the code can be copied by anyone, so the work in what you spended thousands of dollars, on hardware, energy, payrolls, etc...isn't worth. So if I supported OS i would love to make money by supporting Linux or something like that, taking the money from RedHat, SUSE or Mandrake.Live the little programmers who make software for other companies alone, don't destroy our abilities and leave us as helpdesk personnel.
  7. learning ruby on rails[ Go to top ]

if u want to join ror
    this a good website for u begin
    http://www.rorlearn.com
  8. C# is also hot[ Go to top ]

Hi;

Bouncing back and forth between C#/.NET and java I have to say that there are things I like a lot about each. Off the top of my head:

C#: properties and it's trivial to create a web service.

java: portable and a larger set of functionality in the libraries/platforms.

I think the jump in java books reflects that 1.5 just shipped. When .net 2.0 ships you will see a jump in C# books.

But they are both very good products/environments.
  9. Interesting that this ended up on TheServerSide.

I was just reading an argument about the Google index versus the Yahoo index. I searched for my own name and up popped this thread at item number three on Google, nowhere on Yahoo.

I guess my perceptions are a little affected by a client I started working with recently. They have been a Visual Studio shop for years and were a natural to go to C# .NET. They didn't. After a month and a half of in-depth testing they found Java was the better way for them to go. I am in there now helping them make the transition.

There are those whose idea of career planning is to adopt everything Microsoft does. If Microsoft always wins, they will always have a job. My idea of career planning is to try to pick technology winners that I can stay with a long time. 7 years ago, after doing MS only stuff for a few years I moved to Linux and Java, and have stayed there. Since then, the Microsoft technologies of that time such as COM have died out to be replaced with Java-based ideas; Unix did not die but got replaced with Linux, and open source, an outgrowth of Unix open systems culture has taken off.

When I played with Mono it took me half a day to get up and running. So what is my career risk?

By the way, I have been on Linux desktop for the past 7 years. I work on Linux wherever I am, with Mac OS X at home. One nice thing about Ruby: it is built in too both.
  10. Java is a safe bet[ Go to top ]

Java platform has tremendous support from various other groups. There are numerous frameworks coming up and the most popular Struts, adds a lot of value to the development and design. The scalability of the product also improves. It hold true if u say write any where and run any where.. I would like to add grow any way to this. The web applications developed using Java technology definitely have an advantage over the other applications. The ever increasing support and the ease of use adds value to the choice of going ahead with Java. It has been pointed that .NET has demand and employers are looking for .NET programmers, but when compared to the Java demand, Java has a clear margin over .NET.. but in the end choose the one which work out better for you ;)