Discussions

News: A Quick Runthrough for Echo2

1. A Quick Runthrough for Echo2 (26 messages)

Echo2 is an open source Java web development framework that aims to simplify the development of web applications using the AJAX model. David R. Heffelfinger read the online tutorial, downloaded the library and modified a simple test application to see if Echo2 lives up to its promise.
    I was surprised how intuitive coding with the Echo2 framework is, everything I tried to do worked as expected the first time around. For a developer with Swing experience, the learning curve is very low, and the resulting applications are impressive.
    Mr. Heffelfinger was working with the classic "guess a number" application, though, as opposed to trying to write a bigger, "more real" application, and the changes he introduced to try out the Echo2 framework were fairly minour (buttons aligned horizontally as opposed to vertically, for example).

A release of Echo2 should be available soon (it's in beta, currently). Has anyone tested its speed or scalability, or do you have experience working with it in larger, more complex applications?

Threaded Messages (26)

2. Does anyone know of a list/comparison of all the Java web development frameworks?

It's getting very difficult to keep up!
  3. web framework comparison[ Go to top ]

are you really asking for a matrix-type feature comparison? I thought we had all agreed that they were mostly useless.

IMO the only reasonable chance you have is to read the available articles on the different frameworks, and build your own judgement.

my recommendation is not to leave out Wicket from your evaluation. I do think Echo has indisputable strengths in a rich-client/intranet (i.e., Javascript-heavy) setting.

Christian
  4. web framework comparison[ Go to top ]

The best I've seen is a grouping of frameworks into Types of Frameworks. It was somewhere on Javalobby - About JavaOne timeframe.

Then thing to keep in mind that web frameworks are not one-size fits all.
  5. Echo to Swing[ Go to top ]

About a year or so ago, I took a pretty small Echo app and converted it to a Web Started Swing app. In about an hour or two. It would have been faster but for a few things.

For those developing Web Applications (NOT WEB SITES) Echo2 really deserves a look at. Couple that with EchoStudio ... Well, you might not even know that you are developing web apps. EchoStudio comes with Jetty built in. To test your app - it is just click the run button.
  6. Echo to Swing[ Go to top ]

Mark,

since you capitalized those three words, can you define the difference between a web site and a web application? Is a website a bunch of HTML pages without Javascript? Is a J2EE app using the whole stack still a website or is that already a web "application"? If so, does the use of Ajax make it even more of an application? Or is that rich internet application engine? Or something else?
  7. Echo to Swing[ Go to top ]

Bob,
     It is not what technology is used but what it does that makes the difference. I don't believe there is a well defined line between the two - unless you talk extremes.

So on the extreme web site end - if it can be done in pure HTML, then it is a [static]web site.

On the extreme Web Application end - if it can be done just as well in VB, then it is an web app.

As one moves to the center the lines are blurred so one has to determine if it is more web site or web app.

I would say that this site tends towards the web site side. It has some application functionality, but is mostly about displaying (sharing) information. I would call it a dynamic web site. So what is good for TheServerSide is not good for my data-entry and search and data-mining application.
  8. A Quick Runthrough for Echo2[ Go to top ]

This is a test app I developed using Echo 1.1
    http://www.tek271.com/docdb
    Its source code is available as a download at:
    http://www.tek271.com/articles/echo/intro_to_echo.html

I liked Echo a lot but with one exception. It automatically creates a new session for every user.
    This is fine for many apps, but if you do not need a session created, why should you suffer the overhead. It may have a feature/property to turn this off, but I did not see it.

I played with version 2, and it seems even better.
  9. A Quick Runthrough for Echo2[ Go to top ]

It automatically creates a new session for every user.This is fine for many apps, but if you do not need a session created...
    If you don't need a session, then Echo(2) (or those like it) probably isn't the best tool for the job.
  10. You might want to try this[ Go to top ]

We have just released swingweb 1.0.0-RC1 (couldn't post news here yet coz it's RC version as joe advised).

It have been quite stable running several third party test applications (screenshots here)
    No ajax yet like echo 2 but when some issues is resolved ajax and swing remote-thin-client implementation will be started.

New changes include jdk15 support, threadless event queue, session management and url manipulation, lightweight RepaintManager, selection event for JTree, JList and JTable.

Let us know what you think ;)
  11. Example Application for Echo2[ Go to top ]

The latest version of TrackIt, a project management tool, is written using Echo2. More information on TrackIt can be found at http://trackit.sf.net

Best regards,

Jason Dalton
  12. Example Application for Echo2[ Go to top ]

The latest version of TrackIt, a project management tool, is written using Echo2. More information on TrackIt can be found at http://trackit.sf.netBest regards,Jason Dalton

Now that is one butt-ugly application. I particularly like the Listing Editor screenshot, where one of the rows has a black font on a dark blue background so that you just can't read it at all.
  13. Echo 1 worked very well[ Go to top ]

I coded a "console" application in Echo 1. It was so easy and has never had any problems. If you want to make a focused app, rather than "website", echo is definitely worth a look. It is hands down the easiest component web-coding system I've tried (compared to Wicket, Tapestry). Has anyone tried the HTML layour manager? This feature would seem to make echo have more overlap with Wicket and Tapestry, but I've not tried it.

-geoff
  14. Echo1 was a joy to use...[ Go to top ]

I wrote a simple Echo application last year and published it on my blog.

It was very easy to create applications, and it was very easy to create custom components. For someone with a Swing application, it is a natural.

Unfortunately, I've had to move on to JSF for "corporate" reasons, but I'm delighted to hear that Echo is going strong.

--John Reynolds
  15. Hope.......[ Go to top ]

Anyone seen http://bisdows.net performace before ?
    I really hope that Echo2 will advance something like
    bindows. Try their table control, doesnt look like a
    html table at all! Nice if Echo2 can come close to bindows
    in client side.

anyway, Echo2 rock!
  16. Hope.......[ Go to top ]

Yes. Bindows is the BesT JavaScript Framework I have seen ;-) Also Thks Erik.

Bindows is not a J2EE Framework.But it support many web control. But Echo is the Best J2EE Framework.I think Echo2 should support more web control. (EchoPoint's control is not enough ;-( )
  17. Spring integration?[ Go to top ]

I'm impressed by the Echo framework (and also by the echopoint extensions, hope they will be ported to echo2 soon). I was wondering if anyone tried to use it togheter with spring (for aop, orm and jdbc integration and so on)
  18. Spring integration?[ Go to top ]

I'm impressed by the Echo framework (and also by the echopoint extensions, hope they will be ported to echo2 soon). I was wondering if anyone tried to use it togheter with spring (for aop, orm and jdbc integration and so on)
    I've used it with Spring and Hibernate. I've not had any problems with Hibernate. Spring was fine too with the exception of my CSS settings being ignored. I haven't had tim e to figure that out yet.
  19. Spring integration?[ Go to top ]

I've used it with Spring and Hibernate. I've not had any problems with Hibernate. Spring was fine too with the exception of my CSS settings being ignored. I haven't had tim e to figure that out yet.
    Sorry, didn't get that... what has spring to do with CSS? You mean the spring MVC? I was thinking mostly at spring IoC (injecting spring beans in echo components) and HibernateTemplate. You tried that?
  20. Spring integration?[ Go to top ]

Sorry, didn't get that... what has spring to do with CSS? You mean the spring MVC? I was thinking mostly at spring IoC (injecting spring beans in echo components) and HibernateTemplate. You tried that?

Spring has nothing to do with CSS - directly. I was using Spring IoC to create view classes to match up with my model/controllers. I want to be able to "easily" switch from using Echo to Swing. The problem is that if Spring creates the Echo components, it ignores the Echopoint CSS. (http://echopoint.sourceforge.net/LinkedArticles/CascadingStyleSheets.html)
    So effectively, I think I have tried what you are wanting to do - and it works, with that exception.
  21. Spring integration?[ Go to top ]

Oh, I see, thank you. It seems to be encouraging. Maybe the guys at nextapp could give us some directions (or even an official how-to?)
  22. Spring integration?[ Go to top ]

Check out their forums and ask. People there are pretty good about responding. Even with how busy they are.
  23. Spring integration[ Go to top ]

I know this is a little late, but for whatever it's worth, here's the new EchoPoint port for Echo2:

http://ensode.net/echopointng_intro.html

Also, a pretty helpful article on Spring integration with Echo2:

http://jroller.com/page/fouadhamdi?entry=spring_et_echo2
  24. A Quick Runthrough for Echo2[ Go to top ]

I made some intranet project with Echo1.0 last year.

It greatly shortten our developping time. some time-cost features was easy to realize with echo, such as validating/dynamic address choice/big form...

the most exciting is: user control.
    we packed many UI parts as user control, and just reuse them in java class level within different page.

on the other side, page model is stored in session. if u have many many visitor, echo is not the best choice. if u have to face complex application, try echo.
  25. We posted the results of the performance test here:

http://jroller.com/page/galina?entry=ajax_echo_framework_performance_test
  26. Wicket, Echo2[ Go to top ]

Has anybody evaluated both Wicket 1.2 and Echo2?
  27. Re: Wicket, Echo2[ Go to top ]

Has anybody evaluated both Wicket 1.2 and Echo2?
    Yes, in our blog: Wicket: http://jroller.com/page/galina?entry=wicket_framework_evaluation_report Echo2: http://jroller.com/page/galina?entry=ajax_echo_framework_performance_test Valery