ActiveMQ 3.1 released: open source JMS message bus

Discussions

News: ActiveMQ 3.1 released: open source JMS message bus

1. The ActiveMQ Team is proud to announce the 3.1 release of ActiveMQ, an open source JMS message bus.

This release, available for download now, includes a large number of new features and improvements.

New features include:
    • New Stomp support to make it easy to create cross language clients such as for Ruby or Perl etc. (Python, C and .Net coming soon)
    • XPath based selectors and demand based publishing, making it easy to implement WS-Notification on top of ActiveMQ
    • a pooling JMS ConnectionFactory for better support of the Spring JMSTemplate outside of a JCA container
    • improved JNDI support to allow easy dynamic creation of Queues and Topics, to handle different connection settings and to reuse standard JNDI properties
    • Increased support for the number of databases and JDBC drivers to include , Apache Derby, Oracle, Sybase, DB2, SQLServer, Postgresql, MySQL, Axion, HSQL
    • improved authentication at the connection and destination level
    • more flexible prefetch policy configurations for more control over queue dispatching and performance tuning
    • improved support for priority message ordering
    • cleaner servlet integration
    • better XA integration to allow outbound producers to reuse inbound JMS sessions
    • improved support for WebSphere and JBoss
    • easier journal file size and checkpoint period configuration
    • Jabber/XMPP transport
    • various performance enhancements and bug fixes

ActiveMQ works well with Jencks, the Spring-based JCA container, for working with Message Driven POJOs inside any JVM as well as Lingo, the Spring Remoting implementation using JMS and JCA.

Enjoy!

Threaded Messages (23)

2. The ActiveMQ Team is proud to announce the 3.1 release of ActiveMQ, an open source JMS message bus.

Message bus? I thought it was a JMS provider? Or is it a case of staying in tune with the latest buzzwords perhaps? ;)

Nevertheless, great product, I have been using 3.0 since, well, since it was released I believe.
  3. The ActiveMQ Team is proud to announce the 3.1 release of ActiveMQ, an open source JMS message bus.
    Message bus? I thought it was a JMS provider? Or is it a case of staying in tune with the latest buzzwords perhaps? ;)

Its both a message bus and a JMS provider :)

Since ActiveMQ supports REST, Ajax & STOMP, you can argue its a message bus for non-Java folks or a JMS provider if you're a Java person :).
    Nevertheless, great product, I have been using 3.0 since, well, since it was released I believe.

Thanks! Hopefully you'll find 3.1 is even better :)

James
    LogicBlaze
  4. congrats[ Go to top ]

man you guys sure move fast. congrats

peter
  5. Not so impressed[ Go to top ]

I've tried ActiveMQ in a large scale messaging project and I'm not very impressed.
    It is very poor at handling queues with a very large number of messages, specially if you need to restart the server. There is a bug ( http://jira.logicblaze.com/jira/browse/AMQ-324 ) which is a show stopper but that seems not to be fixed in this version.
    In the end, I've switched to JbossMQ.
  6. Not so impressed[ Go to top ]

I've tried ActiveMQ in a large scale messaging project and I'm not very impressed.It is very poor at handling queues with a very large number of messages, specially if you need to restart the server. There is a bug ( http://jira.logicblaze.com/jira/browse/AMQ-324 ) which is a show stopper but that seems not to be fixed in this version.In the end, I've switched to JbossMQ.

I'm very sorry to hear that Juliano. Any chance you could verify this issue is still valid for you in 3.1 and if so give us some information on how to produce it (as a comment on the JIRA issue), then we can get right on it and fix it. Certainly we've not heard of anyone else having that issue yet.

James
    LogicBlaze
  7. Latest buzzword?[ Go to top ]

Message bus? I thought it was a JMS provider? Or is it a case of staying in tune with the latest buzzwords perhaps?

I would assume that a bit research would show that the term "message bus" predates the term "JMS". I know it's shocking, but there was life before Java ;-)
  8. Support forums?[ Go to top ]

Are there any support forums available. I see none on the ActiveMq site. I see mailing lists , which I hate as they clutter your mail box.
  9. Support forums?[ Go to top ]

Are there any support forums available. I see none on the ActiveMq site. I see mailing lists , which I hate as they clutter your mail box.

We're in the process of setting a forum up to make it easier to keep track of the project and discuss issues.

Until then you could try using your NNTP news reader client or your RSS blog reader

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.activemq.user
    http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.activemq.devel

e.g. point your news reader at
    nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.activemq.user

and you should be able to surf the mail list whenever you like without cluttering up your mail inbox.

James
    LogicBlaze
  10. Pssst! James! Go ow-slay on the oftware-say. You're making the rest of us look bad.
  11. Pssst! James! Go ow-slay on the oftware-say. You're making the rest of us look bad.

LOL! Ooookaaayyy!

James
    LogicBlaze
  12. Stomp support for C[ Go to top ]

Is there any supporting documentation for having a C client using Stomp? I found it for Ruby, but not for C. What does the ActiveMQ team recommend between using REST and Stomp? What is easier, and what is more performant?
  13. Stomp support for C[ Go to top ]

Is there any supporting documentation for having a C client using Stomp? I found it for Ruby, but not for C.

We should have a Stomp client for C (libstomp) available soon.
    What does the ActiveMQ team recommend between using REST and Stomp? What is easier, and what is more performant?

Stomp is typically better; though REST gets through firewalls so it depends on use case. Certainly connecting from C, Ruby, Perl, Python, PHP then for many use cases the Stomp version will be a little better - though it'll take a little while for the C, Python and PHP clients to show up. We welcome contributions! :)

James
    LogicBlaze
  14. Google Talk[ Go to top ]

Have you, or anyone, tried using the new Jabber support to utilize Google Talk (or another major Jabber network) as a transport ?
  15. Campaign[ Go to top ]

Congrats for the tireless campaign you are running all over TSS
  16. Campaign[ Go to top ]

Congrats for the tireless campaign you are running all over TSS

I love posters who miraculously appear at a given moment, make a snide comment (usually as their first and only post), and then evaporate just as mysteriously.

Did you know that "Ruth Deis" is an anagram for "Rude Shit"?
  17. Campaign[ Go to top ]

I love posters who miraculously appear at a given moment, make a snide comment (usually as their first and only post), and then evaporate just as mysteriously.

Funny that.

- Chuck U. Farley
  18. Campaign[ Go to top ]

Funny that.- Chuck U. Farley

"F*** u Charley"?
  19. Campaign[ Go to top ]

Seems like a common TSS thread:

1) Cool product has a new release.
    2) A few comments and then someone says "it didn't work for me so I chose X" but did't log the issue.
    3) Some random creates a new login to TSS and says confusing stuff we all assume came from a competitor but don't really care.
    4) Someone else plugs their project coz they can.

Wait, where is (4), oh sorry thats me.

Thread closed, well done ActiveMQ gals and guys for the rapid development of an ever improving product.

Colin.
    http://www.hermesjms.com
  20. Campaign[ Go to top ]

2)A few comments and then someone says "it didn't work for me so I chose X" but did't log the issue.
    I did actually log the issue. The JIRA link is in the original post.
  21. Memory Leak[ Go to top ]

I found memory leak in 3.0 and posted a bug report but NO ONE REPLY. Is that version response to all bug report!!!!
  22. Memory Leak[ Go to top ]

I found memory leak in 3.0 and posted a bug report but NO ONE REPLY. Is that version response to all bug report!!!!

Unfortunately your bug report missed the cut of the 3.1 release; we like to freeze the code and system test heavily before doing a release to ensure things work great for our users.

We've seen your bug in JIRA and are working on it - we should have a new release with this fixed soon. Please be patient though; we have lots of users who report issues so it sometimes can take a while to get to certain issues - (and paying customers always come first :)

James
    LogicBlaze
  23. ActiveMQ from Java 1.1?[ Go to top ]

This is probably the silliest question on this thread, but I just have to ask:

ActiveMQ would be a perfect fit for my application, but I have to support users using applets with the VM that is built into Internet Explorer, which is Java 1.1.14.

Is there any way to talk to an ActiveMQ server from an applet running in Java 1.1?

~Johannes
  24. ActiveMQ from Java 1.1?[ Go to top ]

This is probably the silliest question on this thread, but I just have to ask:ActiveMQ would be a perfect fit for my application, but I have to support users using applets with the VM that is built into Internet Explorer, which is Java 1.1.14.Is there any way to talk to an ActiveMQ server from an applet running in Java 1.1?~Johannes

Its a completely valid question :)

The JMS client is currently fairly dependent on Java 1.2 or later features like Java 2 collections etc.

However we've a number of alternatives to using our JMS client...

REST API (use HTTP POST/GET)
    http://activemq.org/REST

Ajax (use JavaScript in your browser)
    http://activemq.org/Ajax

Finally the Stomp project is interesting
    http://stomp.codehaus.org/

ActiveMQ 3.1 has support for Stomp which already has a Ruby and Perl client with C and .Net clients on the way. Stomp is really easy to implement in any language or platform - so it'd be trivial to build a J2ME or small-applet client for Stomp to talk to ActiveMQ.

e.g. this is the entire Stomp ruby client :)

http://ttmp.skife.org/index.php/Ruby_Client

James
    LogicBlaze