CruiseControl 2.3 released: open source CI framework

Discussions

News: CruiseControl 2.3 released: open source CI framework

1. The CruiseControl project has just released version 2.3. The release contains features many new features and bug fixes, making configuring and maintaining CruiseControl much easier.

CruiseControl is a tool that enables "Continuous Integration," a process that runs builds constantly and publishes the results, for immediate notification when things don't go well (or when they do).

Major new features:
    • Binary release: this all in one distribution combines both the build loop and the reporting modules and makes it really easy and quick to get started thanks to the embedded Jetty Web Container.
    • Introduction of Ant-style properties in config.xml. This will make your config file much smaller and easier to maintain.
    • Support for adding/removing projects without restarting build loop.
    • Added preliminary support for distributed building (contrib).
    New plugins:
    • New source controls: AlienBrain, Accurev, TimeBuild
    • New publishers: OnFailurePublisher, OnSuccessPublisher, SocketPublisher, RSSPublisher, CurrentBuildStatusFTPListener.
    • Distributed builder (contrib)

Threaded Messages (6)

2. I love the integrated Jetty server. Can't wait to try it out. By looking at the feature list I can only say; congratulations.

Kind Regards,

Rune Peter Bjørnstad.
  3. Introduction to CruiseControl[ Go to top ]

For those not yet familiar with CC, I created a presentation Introduction to CruiseControl to try and evangelise the benefits of Conntinuous Integration and CruiseControl to the company where I was working.

Joe
  4. Introduction to CruiseControl[ Go to top ]

Why in godsname integrate a container ?? 9.9 out of 10 clients I work for already have the infrastructure present to run any kind of java software.

Useless waist of time.
  5. Introduction to CruiseControl[ Go to top ]

Why in godsname integrate a container ?? 9.9 out of 10 clients I work for already have the infrastructure present to run any kind of java software.Useless waist of time.

Au contraire, Blackadder! Embedding Jetty gives new users a much shorter learning curve in getting CC up and running. Contrary to your experience, not everyone has J2EE servet containers available, or even wants to install an unknown war on their existing containers.

Many people just want to just try out CC by downloading and running application to see what happens. The more complicated this step is, the less people will persevere long enough to realise the benefits of the process. This is the real waste of time.

Even with the embedded Jetty being distributed along with CC, there is nothing to stop people running the CC Reporting Application on their existing infrastructure.

Cheers,
    Joe
  6. I agree with Joe Schmetzer: It is as useful here as in distributions of Cocoon (http://cocoon.apache.org/) or Forrest (http://forrest.apache.org/). You don't need anything else but the download and a JDK to start.
  7. Well Done[ Go to top ]

Have already upgraded to 2.3.

The addition of Jetty has dramatically reduced the cost of maintaining the CruiseControl environment. Now anyone in our team can understand how to configure the reporting frontend.

Thanks

Par