JAG 5.0 released: Spring and Hibernate 3 Annotations support

Discussions

News: JAG 5.0 released: Spring and Hibernate 3 Annotations support

1. JAG is a Swing application that creates complete, working J2EE applications from a database or UML model.

The JAG 5.0 release adds support for Spring, introduces support for java 5 with Hibernate Annotations and declarative Spring transactions and improved support for testing the generated applications.

Spring support can be enabled by selecting Spring as service tier in the JAG gui.

With Java 5 enabled, Hibernate 3 annotations, Spring declarative @Transaction and Generics are supported.
    Finally testing has been improved by generating Transaction JUnit tests for Spring, creating JMeter scripts and adding Emma code coverage support.

The following improvements have been made in the 5.0 release:
    • Spring framework support as service layer for struts/hibernate
    • Java5 support to enable:
      • generate @Transaction annotations for spring transactions
      • Hibernate 3 Annotations including composite keys.
      • Generics support
    • Improved GUI look and feel.
    • Use long hibernate sessions to allow lazy loading.
    • Add jmeter-ant target to the build.xml and generate a basic test script.
    • Transactional JUnit testing for the Spring Framework.
    • Code coverage using emma.
    • Support for Hsqldb

JAG is licensed under the GPL and is free for download.
  2. Hi,

This is not really a comment for the JAG. It's a general queston to Spring Framework. I hope some one from the Spring team can see this message as well.

As there are so many 3rd party (close/open) source APIs/Application frameworks/products are supporting or planning to support Spring, should there be a page that can be keeping updated with all the Spring Framework enabled products/framework/api?

I am not sure whether TheServerSide.com or Spring web side can provide this kind of page or input form for all those com/org/individuals to post (or advertise) them on one single page.

It will be very helpful to use this page to convince some "senior" EJB develoeprs in my team that the SpringFramework day is coming and we don't really need to wait for EJB3 to be supported (and upgrade to Java 5) to enjoy the benefit of the simple but powerful POJO & DI. :D

Thanks,

Jason Chen

BTW, all of our projects in the company (a huge health care company) are still using JDK 1.3 (WASD/WAS) and it will cost at least more than millions of our IT budget to upgrade to Java 5. How soon do you guys think it can be approved by our budget tight and schedule tight IT managers?
  3. Jason

This is a good idea. Maybe we could host such a page on springframework.org.

Rgds
    Rod

Interface21 - Spring from the Source Training, Consulting, Support
  4. BTW, all of our projects in the company (a huge health care company) are still using JDK 1.3 (WASD/WAS) and it will cost at least more than millions of our IT budget to upgrade to Java 5. How soon do you guys think it can be approved by our budget tight and schedule tight IT managers?
    Indeed, that's one of reasons why separating the application programming framework from the application server is a good idea. You can enjoy advances in programming model without spending a lot of money moving to a bleeding edge and riskier overall platform.
  5. <blockquoteIndeed, that's one of reasons why separating the application programming framework from the application server is a good idea. You can enjoy advances in programming model without spending a lot of money moving to a bleeding edge and riskier overall platform.
    Actually, JAG also supports developing for "less" bleeding edge technology. By disabling the Java5 option for example, you will still have hibernate "xdoclet" annotations and Spring's declarative transactions. Just not with Java Annotations. Spring makes it really easy to achieve this.
  6. Any plans to support commercial DBs, I see you currently only support MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Hypersonic. I'd love to test it with our project, but we only use Oracle and/or DB2.

It would be nice if there was an option to support any JDBC compliant database, that way you might not get all the proprietary db features, but will at least get some stubs generated.
  7. Hi,

Actually JAG supports this. Oracle is supported, you only need to add the JDBC Driver to get it up-and-running.
    For other Databases then the ones you mentioned, you can add the JDBC Drivers as well, but the database mappings won't be correct. For example, the hibernate dialect won't be set for you.. But you will get most of the stubs generated anyway.
  8. Automatic relation loading[ Go to top ]

I've tried it and it seems really powerful. I like it very much. The only problem I see with it (well, not really a problem, maybe it's just a wish). is that it doesn't load "relations" from the database. Hibernate synchronizer does it and does a really great job, generation bidirectional mappings from foreign keys in database. Seems that JAG is more oriented towards UML-modeling instead of reverse-engineering database schemas, but anyway, it would be the most killer-feature I can think of after trying JAG.
  9. Automatic relation loading[ Go to top ]

Hi,

JAG actually does support relations (only many-to-many is not supported). And actually it IS oriented to reverse-engineering! Make sure you select the "enable relations" checkbox, before you start reverse engineering your database.