Discussions

News: Oracle Unveils Oracle Application Server 10g Release 3

1. Oracle has announced Oracle Application Server 10g Release 3, a major update to its comprehensive and integrated enterprise Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) middleware platform. A key component of Oracle Fusion Middleware, Oracle Application Server 10g Release 3 helps organizations develop and deploy Service-Oriented Applications on a Grid Computing Architecture; integrate services into enterprise business processes; and secure and manage services, applications and data in a heterogeneous environment.

Oracle Application Server 10g Release 3 will also serve as the technology foundation for the Fusion Architecture, the platform for Oracle's Project Fusion initiative, the driving force behind its next-generation business applications.

Comprehensive SOA Platform

Oracle Application Server 10g Release 3 includes enhancements to Oracle JDeveloper and Oracle Application Developer Framework (ADF), such as new usability features; comprehensive, more powerful and easy to use code re-factoring; support for Java 5.0 and J2EE 1.4; and a visual, declarative JavaServer Faces (JSF) and Struts-based development environment with an extensive library of Graphical User Interface (JSF) components. These development tools also support the Enterprise Java Beans (EJB) 3.0 specification.

The release introduces a number of new features in Oracle Containers for J2EE including J2EE 1.4 compliance; the industry's most comprehensive EJB 3.0 implementation; Web Services facilities including WS-I compliance and support for a number of Web Services standards; enhanced and easier to manage JMS features; and new JAAS, Java2 and WS-SEC based security facilities.

With the business rules engine, customers can modify or add business rules without requiring application re-writes, speeding time to market while reducing development costs. The enterprise service bus, along with the other middleware components, delivers a loosely coupled application framework that provides increased flexibility, reusability and overall responsiveness in a distributed and heterogeneous environment.

Oracle Application Server 10g Release 3 includes several new features to support very high performance, scalability and high availability in a Grid Computing architecture. Dynamic workload management; enhanced clustering; automated back up and recovery; automated disaster recovery; and a new JMX-based management console are some of the new features that make it a Grid-ready middleware solution.

Hot-Pluggable Architecture - Mix and Match Current and New Technologies

The hot-pluggable architecture enables organizations to mix and match Oracle's middleware components with their existing infrastructures and use components of Oracle Fusion Middleware together with open source development tools and runtimes. This unique architecture allows users to connect and extend their existing heterogeneous systems and maximize current and future investments in IT.

Specifically, the new release will be certified with open source software including Spring, Apache Struts, Apache Axis, Apache MyFaces, Hibernate, Tapestry, JUnit, CVS, SubVersion, Ant, Eclipse and Log4J. Oracle Application Server 10g Release 3 features support for a host of standards required to build next-generation SOAs, including BPEL, WS-Reliable Messaging, WS-Security, WS-Federation, Web Services Metadata, Web Services Invocation Framework (WSIF), and REST Web Services.

Oracle Application Server 10g Release 3 is certified to interoperate with more than 128 products including middleware products such as Microsoft.NET; IBM WebSphere; IBM MQ-Series; Cisco Local Director; F5 Big IP; Checkpoint firewalls; Content Management; and Systems Management.

Security Advancements

Oracle Application Server 10g Release 3 boasts a number of security enhancements, including support for industry leading standards such as SAML 1.0 and 2.0, advanced single sign-on (SSO) capabilities and additional tools for securely managing Web Services and SOAs. Oracle's federation product, Oracle COREid Federation, introduces several new features, including seamless SSO and identity sharing across business partners using a multi-protocol gateway that supports industry standards such as Liberty, WS-Federation and SAML 2.0. Oracle Application Server 10g Release 3 also features a new enterprise identity and resource provisioning solution to allow enterprise users and their access control privileges to be provisioned in a variety of enterprise applications and information systems.

Oracle Web Services Manager provides tools to secure and manage Web services with operational policies that can be layered over new or existing applications and Web Services written in Java or .NET. The release will deliver additional policies, increased monitoring and improved analytics capabilities and is expected to complete a FIPS-140 certification – a third- party analysis validating the product’s security capabilities. Oracle COREid Provisioning, will be integrated with Oracle Web Services Manager and Oracle BPEL Process Manager to deliver a secure SOA-based provisioning architecture. This will provide customers with improved overall user security, easier centralized administration and the ability to establish secure integration with partners.

Read Oracle keeps aggressive pace with new app server

Threaded Messages (13)

2. SOA?[ Go to top ]

Under SoA support it says it supports JSF and Struts.

OK if they say so.

.V

http://roomity.com
  3. SOA?[ Go to top ]

Oracle has Struts support in their 10.1.2 SOA stack:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14099_01/portal.1012/b14134/pdg_java.htm#CHDFAHEC

They support Struts in portlets by re-writing the key taglibs. You have to replace the struts taglibs with the rewritten Oracle taglibs and omit things like <head> and <body> tags in your JSPs.

They did not support JSF in their 10.1.2 SOA stack. I hope they've finally got support for JSR-168 portlets with JSF in 10.1.3.
  4. SOA?[ Go to top ]

Also the version of PDK will support the JSR168 portlets.

chk the link

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/ias/portal/html/pdk_new_features.html

~Neeraj Sidhaye
    try_catch_finally@yahoo.com
  5. SOA?[ Go to top ]

Under SoA support it says it supports JSF and Struts.OK if they say so..V
    What's the beef here Vic? That you can't build SOA apps with Struts or JSF or are you interpreting the sentence as implying that it provides some kind of chimera framework that uses JSF views in a Struts managed flow? (I'll admit you could read it that way).
    The intention is I think the highlight the fact that the new JDeveloper version supports full visual editing of both Struts and JSF applications - pageflows, visual JSP editing etc. And as a separate bullet has a rich set of JSF components shipped with it - the ADF Faces components.
  6. SOA?[ Go to top ]

Duncan,
    I read the story and I am interested in SOA.
    There is a SoA heading bold paragraph. So... I wanted to read about SoA. My reading comprehension of what is says is that the type of SoA Oracle does is JSF/Struts.
    Is that right?

.V
    htpp://roomity.com
  7. ...and does it work well enough now? or will we have to wait five or six months and a high number of patchsets?

Joserra
    Najaraba
  8. We have been trying to deploy our 1.4 compliant application to 10g for months (client requirement) and what a total and complete disaster it has been. Even with 'support' from Oracle and access to some of the Developer Previews the issues have been incredible... Contrast this with JBoss (miles ahead in 1.4 compliance, nice clean container etc) and you wonder why anyone buys App Servers these days.. Oracle should have stuck with Orion ;)
  9. Jason, while it is never nice to ask you to try the "next release", we did post what we call OC4J 10.1.3 Developer Preview 4 back in early August:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/java/oc4j/1013/index.html

which corresponds to the core container in the 10gR3 release on which in addition to the J2EE 1.4 CTS compliance, we have had a fair number of migrations from JBoss and BEA giving us some fairly good confidence of the container capability/compatibility/migratability (including JBoss 4.x migrations for J2EE 1.4). I am not sure this is the version you were trying or if you gave up before getting there.

As the team I work with tracks pretty closely the issues/bugs customers are having with this release given it is currently in preview, it would be great if you could e-mail me (address below) with what your outstanding issues are so I can follow up on them.

We are working pretty hard to deal with the issues that folks have had with OC4J as it has matured and despite the apparent pain you have had, we think R3 will be a big step forward with some of the capabilities outlined in that PR piece. Thanks.

Mike Lehmann
    OC4J Product Management
    mike.lehmann@oracle.com
  10. Best I can tell[ Go to top ]

It is still listed as a development preview. Why make such a big deal about something that is not out yet?
  11. I'm tried of the TTS errors....[ Go to top ]

Hello All,

Ok this is my last post to TTS. I'm fed up with the Timeouts, RMI errors, and posts that don't throw errors but never show up. How embarrassing the the middleware company can't get a Java BBS to work right. I'm surprised that Vic has not had a field day with this.

~Matt Giacomini
  12. I'm tried of the TTS errors....[ Go to top ]

Hello All,Ok this is my last post to TTS. I'm fed up with the Timeouts, RMI errors, and posts that don't throw errors but never show up. How embarrassing the the middleware company can't get a Java BBS to work right. I'm surprised that Vic has not had a field day with this.~Matt Giacomini

Hang on man. Don't loose your hope.Calm down and post your problems @feedback discussions forums (if you can ...) and maybe they'll fix'em. :)

Regards,
    Horia Muntean
  13. Oracle Application Server 10g Release 3 is certified to interoperate with more than 128 products including middleware products such as Microsoft.NET; IBM WebSphere; IBM MQ-Series; Cisco Local Director; F5 Big IP; Checkpoint firewalls; Content Management; and Systems Management.

We're also adding Coherence*Web support for Oracle AS with our upcoming 3.1 release.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol Coherence: High-Scale and HA for HTTP Session Management
  14. A new JDeveloper EA is now out[ Go to top ]

It's not clear from the post but just to let you know that there is a new Early Access version of JDeveloper out on OTN and it has among other things:
    EJB 3.0
    Visual JSF development
    J2EE 1.4 support
    J2EE 1.4 Web services support
    along with all the usual visual struts/jsp/html/swing/xml-schema editors, UMLs, Junit, Ant etc...

download here:
    http://oracle.com/technology/jdev