Discussions

News: Mule 1.1, ESB messaging framework, released

1. Mule 1.1, ESB messaging framework, released (6 messages)

The Mule team has released version 1.1 of Mule, an open-source ESB and services framework. Mule now supports JBI, BPEL, Scheduling, improved support for EJB interaction, plus a host of new improvements.

Mule is an Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) messaging framework. It is a scalable, distributable object broker that can handle interactions with services and applications using disparate transport and messaging technologies.

Noteworthy in this release:
    • JBI - Mule Transports, Components and Transformers can be used inside any JBI compliant container. Additionally, Mule components can interact with JBI containers using the new JBI binding.
    • BPEL - Mule integrates with FiveSight's PXE WS-BPEL execution engine to provide a BPEL component.
    • EJB - EJB Session beans can be managed as Mule components. Mule will load the beans from an existing container. EJB objects can also be invoked by Mule.
    • Event Scheduling using Quartz
    • FTP support.
    • RMI Support.
    • SOAP over any transport such as JMS or XMPP (Jabber)
    • Improved REST Service invocation and orchestration.

Threaded Messages (6)

2. Mule and ServiceMix[ Go to top ]

I've been following Mule and ServiceMix for a bit. As far as ESBs go these two products seem promising. On the ServiceMix website ServiceMix compares itself to Mule and they say: "The major difference is ServiceMix is based on the standard JBI APIs defined by the JCP - whereas Mule has its ownAPIs, but looks to add JBI as an after thought", which does not sounds particulary fair in the era of plentyful refactoring tools. Does anyone have real world experience with the two, or with one?
  3. Mule and ServiceMix[ Go to top ]

Actually, this statement is incorrect because Mule itself is not based on JBI, but there is a separate project called MuleJBI which is based on the JBI specification. This container reuses Mule services such as routing, transports, etc, (which the JBI spec. doesn't cover).

Mule integrates with any JBI container such as ServiceMix so that you can use Mule transports, components and transformers transparently in these containers if you want.
    Mule applications can also orchestrate events between different Jbi containers.
    http://mule.codehuas.org/JBI

Cheers,

Ross
  4. Mule and ServiceMix[ Go to top ]

Can we find some real world examples ( ESB's Petstore) somewhere using Mule? I mean not only chuncks of configuration and code spread around few tutorials ...
    Maybe with some performance metrics, implementations benefits, etc.

Regards,
    Horia Muntean
  5. Examples[ Go to top ]

Can we find some real world examples ( ESB's Petstore) somewhere using Mule? I mean not only chuncks of configuration and code spread around few tutorials

Have a look at http://mule.codehaus.org/Examples
    The Loan Broker example provides a 'Petstore' equivilent.
    ...Maybe with some performance metrics, implementations benefits, etc.

We have now have access to some decent hardware to run performance benchmarks. We'll post the results on the site when they're ready.

Cheers,

Ross
  6. Performance Measuring[ Go to top ]

We have now have access to some decent hardware to run performance benchmarks. We'll post the results on the site when they're ready.Cheers,Ross

I'm actually try to do some performance evaluation for mule for a studying project.
    when will the results of your analysis be published?
    would it be possible to provide some scenarios or codesnippets for my own evaluation?

thanks in advance,
    d.f. gerard
  7. Mule mixes well with a Spring-based environment.

Steve