Discussions

News: Netbeans 5.0 beta available for download

1. Netbeans 5.0 beta available for download (58 messages)

The NetBeans 5.0 release introduces comprehensive support for developing IDE Module Plugins and rich client applications based on the NetBeans Platform, the new intuitive GUI builder Matisse, new and redesigned CVS support, Weblogic 9 and JBoss 4 support, editor enhancements and more. The beta is available for download now.

Additional elements for download include the Netbeans Mobility Pack, and the Netbeans Profiler. A knowledge base is also available to provide a clearinghouse for Netbeans articles and information.

The final NetBeans IDE 5.0 release is planned for December, 2005.

What do you think of Netbeans? With Eclipse having so much marketshare from other major vendors such as BEA (who just purchased M7, producers of the NitroX Eclipse plugin), does Netbeans still matter, even if the platform and IDE work well?

Threaded Messages (58)

2. Netbeans rocks[ Go to top ]

The only thing missing in netbeans is C++ dev plugin. If it is included, it will become a great IDE.
  3. Netbeans rocks[ Go to top ]

The only thing missing in netbeans is C++ dev plugin. If it is included, it will become a great IDE.

I totally disagree. One of the reason I use Netbeans over Eclipse is that Netbeans focuses on Java development, where as Eclipse is more of a generic development IDE supporting C/C++, Java, Actionscript, etc........

IMO I think that Netbeans is a better IDE for *Java* development, with more built in support for more aspects of JEE development then eclipse. I would like to see the Netbean developers continue to focus on Java, and carve a strong nitch for Netbeans a complete JEE development platform.
  4. For developing java/j2ee apps, even I would prefer netbeans.

But there might be projects which contain both C++ and Java.

anyway, in netbeans there are 2 projects cpp and cpplite for developing cpp apps in netbeans. But I think both are in beta.
  5. Complete Environment[ Go to top ]

Netbeans provides teh complete environment, and right from the day 1 you will be productive on the tool.
    It comes with all the J2EE features which makes it easy to develop teh J2EE application. add to it teh new GUI development is nice feature.
  6. Subversion support[ Go to top ]

It's missing Subversion support as well...
  7. Subversion support[ Go to top ]

The updates show Subversion as a plugin component.
  8. Subversion support[ Go to top ]

Thanks! I'll take a look again.

Had you use it? It's okay?
  9. Subversion support[ Go to top ]

Does netbeans have support for Perforce?
  10. The new VCS system only supports CVS for now. They promise to launch support for SVN, Perforce, ... after the release, but the "old" VCS support is still available from Update center and it does support Perforce.
    I've also seen posts on NetBeans' mailing lists that C/C++ plugins are also coming, but I didn't get the final date. They said that the developers had some issues with lawyers since the previous codebase was not for opensource world (I hope I did understand the post correctly). But it seems now the issuees were resolved and we can expect C/C++ development environment also for NetBeans.
  11. Waste of Effort[ Go to top ]

Netbeans is a figment of Suns imagination that they will dominate J2EE and Java development. It is just propped up by Sun to protect bruised egos of some engineers and VPs. It is high time Sun stop wasting resources and accept the fact that Eclipse is the dominant IDE outside of M$ world. Sun better spend its sagging resources on something useful to community and improve its falling revenues. For all those proxy Sun employees writing the posts that Netbeans is good - pls. stop protecting your jobs by propping up a not so useful project. Accept that Netbeans has gotten better than before, but, that it does not mean anything. The game is over it has neither the momentum of Eclipse nor the brains of IntelliJ. Sun stop wasting resources and start seeing the light as many vendors like BEA, IBM, Oracle etc. have already done. Running business is not about egos, it is about getting right products at right time. And by the way I am not associated with Eclipse in any way except for being a user.
  12. Waste of Effort[ Go to top ]

Actually I use both Eclipse and Netbeans.
    When doing J2EE I actually prefer Netbeans over Eclipse.
    Same when I'm working on Mac OS X.
    SWT support on Mac OS X is still abysmal compared to Swing (unfortunately)

Both have their strengths.
    I just use the right tool for the job NOW and I'm fully aware that eventually Eclipse might be that tool for everything.
    But for now I'll stick with using both
  13. Waste of Effort[ Go to top ]

Comrade, whats is wrong with choice ?
  14. Choice is good[ Go to top ]

Nothing is wrong with choice.
    I'm glad I can pick between Eclipse and Netbeans and I'm grateful to have them both.

It's the same thing with Open source application servers.
    Choice is good, competition even better
  15. Actually I use both Eclipse and Netbeans.When doing J2EE I actually prefer Netbeans over Eclipse.Same when I'm working on Mac OS X.SWT support on Mac OS X is still abysmal compared to Swing (unfortunately)Both have their strengths.I just use the right tool for the job NOW and I'm fully aware that eventually Eclipse might be that tool for everything.But for now I'll stick with using both

Competition is *never* bad in my opinion. How can you predict that one day the Netbeans team won´t come up with a great feature that will move all IDEs to have it, remember what IntelliJ IDEA´s rich refactorings set made to all java IDEs!
    I wonder what would you say about Eclipse in it´s first releases.
    I personnaly like much more Eclipse than Netbeans, but I´m always downloading it ever new major version and giving it a try, It certainly has improved a lot, for it´s own good, as it was really behind all other major IDEs sometime ago. But competition is *always* good.
  16. Actually I used Eclipse before it turned 2 and I remember how we were using the milestones in production.
    Eclipse improved, but I feel that lately there is very little reason to actually upgrade.
    The IDE feels done (if you forget about the GUI editor which doesn't work on Mac OS X and the nearly non existant web tools/profiler)

I'm using the Netbeans beta right now and it's running smooth on SuSE linux for me
  17. Silly post[ Go to top ]

Have you got any proof that everyone of the people that has posted is a Sun employee?

If Sun can produce Java, I do not understand why Sun cannot produce a good IDE for Java?

If everybody had followed your logic, there should be only one company, ie IBM.
  18. Silly post[ Go to top ]

If Sun can produce Java, I do not understand why Sun cannot produce a good IDE for Java?

I usually don't see any explanation of what is wrong with NetBeans, apart from it not being Eclipse. I occasionally try both, but keep coming back to NetBeans. But no matter what I think personally, the evidence from surveys of developers seems to suggest that both NetBeans AND Eclipse have a lot of momentum at the moment, and both are widely used.

This is healthy. I would have thought that the early adoption of, for example, Java 5.0 support by other IDEs helped put the pressure on Eclipse to eventually match this, and Eclipse's strong refactoring encouraged similar tools in NetBeans.

What I would like to see is faster work on a common IDE plug-in standard. Developers should be able to many plugins on a range of IDEs.

Anyway, congratulations to NetBeans. I do have one minor complaint - the lack of backwards compatibility of the project files. Surely NetBeans 5.0 features could have been put under different XML namespaces in a way that NetBeans 4.x could ignore them? Isn't that the way that XML should work? When a beta release comes out I would like to be able to try it and switch safely back and forth with older versions of the IDE.
  19. Silly post[ Go to top ]

What I would like to see is faster work on a common IDE plug-in standard. Developers should be able to many plugins on a range of IDEs.

Well, there is JSR-198 [1]. It's taken quite a long time to get the public review ballot out there, but you can check it out now.

Also, check out JSR-273 [2], Design Time API for JavaBeans(tm), and JSR-276 [3]. These aim to standardize the ways components plug into IDEs that support JSF.

[1] http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=198

[2] http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=273

[3] http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=273
  20. Silly post[ Go to top ]

Also, I wonder why no-one ever rants about Oracle J Developer as an IDE in the IDE wars. Any ideas?

Ed
  21. Also, I wonder why no-one ever rants about Oracle J Developer as an IDE in the IDE wars. Any ideas?Ed

JDeveloper is team player with Oracle, OC4J,
    ADF, JSF-ADF, TopLink, SMC... If you looking for
    out of stack product, idea or Eclipse most
    probably the best. JBuilder is too expensive and NetBeans a bit isolated without solid
    stack (in comparison with Oracle's).

Think football (soccer of cource):
    There are Pele, Maradona and Platini,
    their teams are collection of start
    and then there is German team as
    integrated starts.

(World Cup 1984(?), semifinal France-Germany,
    1:1 3:3 in extention, and penatly shots.... )

If you are looking for IDE for yourself get stars
    like Idea or Eclipse. If you is a manager making
    short list for big project, you looking at
    powerful offeres from Oracle, IBM, MS, also
    half-stacks from BEA, JBoss and others...

Have a nice week,

Alex V.
  22. Sorry, STARS, not START[ Go to top ]

Sorry, STARS, not START
  23. Also, I wonder why no-one ever rants about Oracle J Developer as an IDE in the IDE wars. Any ideas?Ed
    JDeveloper is team player with Oracle, OC4J, ADF, JSF-ADF, TopLink, SMC... If you looking forout of stack product, idea or Eclipse most probably the best. JBuilder is too expensive and NetBeans a bit isolated without solidstack (in comparison with Oracle's).Think football (soccer of cource):There are Pele, Maradona and Platini,their teams are collection of startand then there is German team asintegrated starts.(World Cup 1984(?), semifinal France-Germany,1:1 3:3 in extention, and penatly shots.... )If you are looking for IDE for yourself get starslike Idea or Eclipse. If you is a manager making short list for big project, you looking at powerful offeres from Oracle, IBM, MS, also half-stacks from BEA, JBoss and others... Have a nice week,Alex V.

honestly, what are you trying to say?
  24. Silly post[ Go to top ]

Have you got any proof that everyone of the people that has posted is a Sun employee?If Sun can produce Java, I do not understand why Sun cannot produce a good IDE for Java?If everybody had followed your logic, there should be only one company, ie IBM.

Well, I can say honestly that I'm not a Sun employee, nor have I ever been one, nor have I ever applied for employment at Sun.

And I honestly like Netbeans. It has flaws, to be sure, but every IDE I've ever used has flaws, and Netbeans has some very useful features.
  25. Waste of Effort[ Go to top ]

I think you are a bit unfair in your post.
    Eclipse has features and netbeans has some other
    Eclipse good Plugin community and code editor make it dominant for a while .but Netbeans 5 has enough good features to call it good IDE

for 3 years i used eclipse in home and after netbeans 4.1 i code back to netbeans ,because of its good j2ee and jsp development features.

Netbeans 5 , bring enough feature to stop debates about one OSS IDE for Whole JAVA community.just check it out and then comment . profiler , j2me , new swing designer , ....... features make it outstanding.
    (When .net is out why jee = when Eclipse is out why netbeans)
    I think all of developers who want to comments about netbeans and Eclipse , should at least check both of them for a while . not comparing Eclipse 3.x with netbeans 3.6 it s netbeans version 5 out now.
  26. I use Netbeans v3.6 and I switched to Eclipse (for known problems with Netbeans then). However, let's give credits to Netbeans teams who has much improved the IDE.

There're some features that Eclipse has and Netbeans doesn't and vice versa. I use Exadel plugin and it's great, but it's lots of pain to keep up the with compatibility amongs the numerous plugins. Not to mention that once you're used to one, it's either no longer supported or takes a while to be supported when you upgrade your Eclipse.

Having said that, this v5beta release is splendid! It's performant and the JEE tooling is more comprehensive than Eclipse. WTP needs to be more responsive to close this gap.
  27. Take a chill pill[ Go to top ]

Netbeans is a figment of Suns imagination that they will dominate J2EE and Java development. It is just propped up by Sun to protect bruised egos of some engineers and VPs. It is high time Sun stop wasting resources and accept the fact that Eclipse is the dominant IDE outside of M$ world. Sun better spend its sagging resources on something useful to community and improve its falling revenues. For all those proxy Sun employees writing the posts that Netbeans is good - pls. stop protecting your jobs by propping up a not so useful project. Accept that Netbeans has gotten better than before, but, that it does not mean anything. The game is over it has neither the momentum of Eclipse nor the brains of IntelliJ. Sun stop wasting resources and start seeing the light as many vendors like BEA, IBM, Oracle etc. have already done. Running business is not about egos, it is about getting right products at right time. And by the way I am not associated with Eclipse in any way except for being a user.

And... you are... Mr. Galaxy... the softalitarian joda!?
  28. Waste of Effort[ Go to top ]

It is high time Sun stop wasting resources and accept the fact that Eclipse is the dominant IDE outside of M$ world.

One of the dumbest things I have read in a while. ha ha ha
    For all those proxy Sun employees writing the posts that Netbeans is good - pls. stop protecting your jobs by propping up a not so useful project.

Another good one. ha ha ha I like Netbeans and I'm not a Sun employee.
  29. Competition is needed[ Go to top ]

Netbeans is a figment of Suns imagination that they will dominate J2EE and Java development. It is just propped up by Sun to protect bruised egos of some engineers and VPs.

The Java community desparately needs another IDE with equal market share to Eclipse. I blame a lot of the slow adoption of JDK 5 on the Eclipse project taking forever to support it. What this boils down to is that Sun *must* pour effort into Netbeans or they risk losing control over Java to Eclipse(IBM). I hope the Netbeans/Eclipse market share evens out eventually so that there is some true competition.

Bill
  30. Waste of Effort[ Go to top ]

Even though Eclipse has a larger market share than NetBeans, NetBeans has its strengths.

Additionally, even if you are an Eclipse fan, NetBeans is a good thing -- it keeps Eclipse from resting on its laurels. Some competition in the free IDE space is good for users of both IDEs.

Also, I personally would be more interested in Eclipse if: (1) it did not require snagging piecemeal modules to get a base working environment and (2) it did not use SWT. I have an overall disinterest in SWT as Swing is quite good at this point and SWT just produces deployment difficulties and cross-platform inconsistencies.
  31. Waste of Effort[ Go to top ]

SWT just produces deployment difficulties and cross-platform inconsistencies.

I hear more of that but as a matter of fact swt works fine on osx, whereas swing is giving performance problems and look and feel inconsistency. Now I don't know how much effort went into making eclipse perfrom ok on osx, if there went in a lot then swing is still more accpetable as a automagically working thing. What i really dislike about eclipse is the gutter. When you see this little red line indicating that there is an error you really have to point your mouse pixelsharp to it, this is tedious and annoying. Even more annoying are those lightbulbs rendered over my breakpoint indicators, i cannot see anymore if i have a breakpoint set or not because the lightbulb is in front of it. For crying out loud make 2 gutters if there is no space but dont render stuff on top of eachother that is really stupid!!! Netbeans does this better. I actually prefer to work with netbeans but i am still to much attached to eclipse's ways. This is just a matter of time or some job might force me. The shift from windows to osx was also initially hard and confusing but once your over the reward is great. Osx rocks.
  32. Waste of Effort[ Go to top ]

What a stupid post..Is someone shoving Netbeans down your throat? Don't use it if you don't want to and let others who want to, use it..Just because you say it in blanket statement that it is not useful does not make it so any more than my saying you are stupid can make you so..Competition is actually good and so is choice..it will make Eclipse, IntelliJ and Netbeans all better..and what useless ranting about Sun and falling revenues and wasting resources..zzz..
  33. AOP support?[ Go to top ]

Hi all,

Do you know whether Netbeans support AOP(especially AspectJ) in any way?

Thanks,

Maciek Zywno
    Java Developer, Sabre
  34. AOP support?[ Go to top ]

Hi all,Do you know whether Netbeans support AOP(especially AspectJ) in any way?Thanks,Maciek ZywnoJava Developer, Sabre

There has been a plugin, but I don't think is it being actively developed anymore. However, you can include the ant tasks for the compiler in your NetBeans project.
  35. AOP support?[ Go to top ]

IDE AOP support should go further than just creating boilerplate ant scripts :) I was thinking rather about sth that is available in Eclipse where you can e.g. see which methods are going to be modified by an aspect and where you can generally play with aspects.

To be clear: I am not saying that AOP support is the most important thing IDE should provide. However it is an important factor for me and probably it is going to become important for more and more developers in future.

Cheers,

Maciek
  36. ...[ Go to top ]

All IMHO...

People should forget that NetBeans 3 (and the pre releases) ever existed & that Netbeans 4.1 & 5 are actually new IDE's on the market that can compete and lap Eclipse... yes Eclipse has a wide support from main companies (i.e Nokia, BEA... etc) but I think I had enough with that IDE (Eclipse), it's not that it's bad, but NetBeans has what I see more targeted towards professional developers & not Java begginers (I see a lot of wanna be so called programmers out there with just Eclipse installed, but no dev ever done on them. There's no way I'm taking advise from them just because there bored and decide to enter a survey of the best Java IDE online and just vote for what they think every body is using!!!)... and hopefully the NetBeans future road map will show this.

If your productive in Eclipse use that, if you find that your more enlightend/innovated using another IDE go for that.

Best of luck to the NetBeans team in there future releases & I hope they continue to vastly improve our IDE for Java. Thanks.
  37. Whatja Want?[ Go to top ]

Netbeans download with integrated SunAppServer.
    Install.
    Create Enterprise Application Project.
    Code a bit.
    Run.

Eclipse Download.
    Install.
    Search for Plugins that work for J2EE.
    Download Plugins.
    Install Plugins (cannot deinstall!!!).
    Configure somehow a J2EE Server (hope it works!).
    Create Enterprise Application Project.
    Code a bit.
    Run.

Sun uses Swing, runs whereever Java runs.
    Eclipse uses SWT, hope IBM is supporting your platform this year.

Eclipse is great for those who like to tinker around with their computers ALOT.
    Netbeans just works.

Don't get me started on RAD/RSA...
  38. Whatja Want?[ Go to top ]

Don't get me started on RAD/RSA...

me neither but i have to , you mentioned it not me;-) That stuff stinks, it is the worst out there. It sucks all my energie of the day away in minutes. The only reason that it is sold anyway is because of the name of the company, that and that alone. Managers that know nothing buy it. We have to work it. I said it before, the current project i am working on is the last project i used it, ever. If that means i have to get a cleaning job somewhere, so be it. I'am out of that dump real soon now. Netbeans congrats! beat the crap out of them.
  39. I had been a NetBeans user up to version 3.4, but I had to switch to Eclipse, since most of my clients standardized on it. Since then, 3 factors have been dominant for me not to go back to NetBeans: 1) refactoring, once you get used to refactoring, you cannot get along without it anymore; 2) performance. In version 3.4, Netbeans took up many times longer than Eclipse just to start up; 3) excellent plugin support. Refactoring and performance has been so much improved, but there is nothing yet compared to the open source plugin community behind Eclipse. That's where SUN should be aiming at in future NetBeans development.
  40. Well, Netbeans has refactoring: rename, extract method, change method parameters, encapsulate, pull up, push down, move class, extract interface, etc.

As far as startup time... I dunno, for me both Netbeans and Eclipse take too long to start up. On the other hand, I usually start my IDE and... well... leave it running, so startup time is a very small part of overall runtime. (What's 15 seconds when you leave the editor up for hours and hours?)

Plugin development is definitely a place where Netbeans could use improvement, even though they're being more aggressive.

However, one thing interests me: You say "Sun should be aiming..." when Netbeans relates to Sun much as Eclipse relates to IBM, as I understand it: close ties, sponsored development, but they're not the same.
  41. Support for JBuilder forms[ Go to top ]

One thing that I miss is a tool that could help us migrate from JBuilder to Netbeans. You can do project but NOT the GUI.
    We have lots and lots 1000+ screens in our JBuilder written system and now are JBuilder on its way to Eclipse !
    If this tool is not around in a few month time we will end up in Eclips but I think I would prefer Netbeans.
    So - a tool to migrate JBuilder written GUI to Netbeans would be great !!!

/Jan
  42. For me, the only thing still missing from NetBeans 5 is the ability, when using a free-form project, to run individual JUnit tests through the IDE instead of through an Ant script. NetBeans has figured out a way of doing this when you use a NetBeans project, but it is incredibly difficult to do when you use a free-form project. So far, this is the only reason that I have to use Eclipse. I usually do all my coding in NetBeans and then switch to Eclipse for its great JUnit support. In general, JUnit support is probably NetBeans weakest area. It has improved in NetBeans 5 Beta (and hopefully will continue to improve), but it is still abysmal.
  43. What is still lacking in NetBeans[ Go to top ]

My IDE preference shifted to NetBeans since version 3.6 when performance was no longer an issue. At work, I've been "standardized" on both Eclipse and IntelliJ. My personal feeling:

Eclipse - You are right on about the plug-in. I never did a plug-in myself. But seeing so many Eclipse plug-ins around, it's gonna be doing something better than NetBeans on that regard.

IntelliJ - Code completion/suggestion is what NetBeans needs to catch up on, which it has been doing since NB4.1 and now 5.0. Ex. When trying to use a class or method that doesn't exist yet, IntelliJ gives the option of creating such a new class/method automatically. That's gotta please all the TDD'ers. That trick counts for a big part of "code as fast as you think" logo.

Refacotory in NetBeans used to be a killer weekness, but it's picking up quickly now.

Another one to polish on - Full IDE support for existing Ant script project. Maybe this one is not really a "lack" since I haven't seen it in either Eclipse or IntelliJ. NetBeans first introduced the concept, but it's far from being done.

So much for the "lacking" part. It's exciting to see NetBeans rolling forward. More options are always good. competition makes things better. Go NetBeans!
  44. Don't want to offend Eclipse fans, but I tried to use Eclipse 3 times and didn't find it useful enough. Maybe it's because I started using NetBeans since 4.0, not 3.x ??? But I really like it, and 5.0 Beta is really outstanding.
  45. AOP support[ Go to top ]

When picking one from Eclipse3.0 and Netbean4.0 for the replacement of my outdated JBuilder4, AOP support made the decision for me.
    Eclipse does not come with editors for HTML, JSP, etc by default is a drawback. I subscribe MyEclipse, but I think Netbeans' out-of-box editors for HTML and JSP are better.
    But a couple things I do not like the Netbean5.0 beta,
    1. It does not come with a javascript editor
    2. The web.xml editor raises errors if I discard changes to it. And it will cause the java editor also raises error when I discard changes to java files.
    3. It is heavier than my Eclipse3.0, MyEclipse, AJDT, CDT, and EPIC combined.
  46. AOP support[ Go to top ]

When picking one from Eclipse3.0 and Netbean4.0 for the replacement of my outdated JBuilder4, AOP support made the decision for me.Eclipse does not come with editors for HTML, JSP, etc by default is a drawback. I subscribe MyEclipse, but I think Netbeans' out-of-box editors for HTML and JSP are better.But a couple things I do not like the Netbean5.0 beta,1. It does not come with a javascript editor2. The web.xml editor raises errors if I discard changes to it. And it will cause the java editor also raises error when I discard changes to java files.3. It is heavier than my Eclipse3.0, MyEclipse, AJDT, CDT, and EPIC combined.

If you managed to find eclipse project AJDT for AOP http://eclipse.org/ajdt/ support i'm wonder how you did not managed to find eclipse project WebTools http://eclipse.org/webtools which includes J2EE support?
  47. RE: Eclipse WebTool[ Go to top ]

I am just waiting for WSD (>=) 1.0 to come out.
  48. Re:[ Go to top ]

People. Things that are free aren't perfect. That's why IntelliJ is so great. Is all this bickering for IDEs really necessary? I see people defend Eclipse to the death and they've never even used IntelliJ and seen all the things it does 100X better (such as refactoring, debugging, etc). If you (or your company) can't shell out the minimal amount of $$ for a top of the line IDE, then relax already.
  49. Re:[ Go to top ]

If you (or your company) can't shell out the minimal amount of $$ for a top of the line IDE, then relax already.
    The problem (well mine actually) is that they even pay a lot more for crap. I'am till this day not able to convince them to go for quality. It is a brainwash i cannot fight. I will therefore run away as hard as i can.
  50. Re:[ Go to top ]

It's funny you mention that. The CFO of our current client demanded that all the developers use RAD, buying that bs that RAD makes it easier for a consistent development environment (this client is an IBM shop). The truth is your Ant process should maintain the dev't environment and it shouldn't matter which IDE you use (IntelliJ, RAD, Notepad). some day.
  51. Re:[ Go to top ]

The CFO of our current client demanded that all the developers use RAD, buying that bs that RAD makes it easier for a consistent development environment.

Well the good man is right isn't he? You get a nice consistent bunch of disgusting crap. That is what I am at the end of the day (well sometimes halfway already) physically disgusted. I managed to do exactly nothing today, aint that great!
  52. Re:[ Go to top ]

It's not always the case as often developers can choose between IDE they would like to use. We've got licenses for IntelliJ and a part of my colleagues-developers use it instead of Eclipse. To give my impression: they often pray IntelliJ to sky for the functionality that is also present in Eclipse.. They have no idea that you can that functionality for free.

I tried IntelliJ once or twice but it lacked some minor things that I am used to have while working in Eclipse. Maybe it's got some major advantages but I didn't give IntelliJ more chances.

So until you know both IDEs well, you cannot tell..

Maciek
  53. Re:[ Go to top ]

People. Things that are free aren't perfect. That's why IntelliJ is so great. Is all this bickering for IDEs really necessary? I see people defend Eclipse to the death and they've never even used IntelliJ and seen all the things it does 100X better (such as refactoring, debugging, etc). If you (or your company) can't shell out the minimal amount of $$ for a top of the line IDE, then relax already.

I have used IntelliJ and have no complaints with it, but comments like "all the things it does 100X better" are a bit over the top. I know a few places that have IntelliJ licenses but many of the developers still perfer Eclipse or Netbeans.
  54. Matisse looks very exciting[ Go to top ]

The new GUI builder looks awesome. I downloaded an Alpha version and played around with it. I received alot of errors but those have probably been fixed. For anyone doing Swing development, this looks to be a huge timesaver.

Mike
  55. if they manage to let Matisse build jsf apps i think they can really compete with eclipse. Also the recording of macros is really nice and it starts to look good. Somehow it feels more robust than eclipse, maybe because everything is integrated more.
  56. Matisse[ Go to top ]

Well, I think one very interesting new feature of NetBeans will be the GUI builder called Matisse. I've been trying it with the 4.2 alpha development versions and it had a lot of bugs yet . Now with the beta version it seems to continue throwing lots of assertion exceptions. I hope they'll solve this for the final release.
  57. Matisse[ Go to top ]

I agree with those indicating that Netbeans is a better integrated IDE as a whole.Being a JBuilder user for 3 now, I see Netbeans and especially Matisse as the 'holy grail' for fast and flexible GUI design , for us Java Developers.

Its OK you need time to master Swign , you can built some nice screens though is not a fast process. Write code write code be carefull with the nested panels the layouts etc.

Matisse FOR the first time in such an IDE lets you design complicated screens in minutes! The designer is smart enough to provide GUI anchors so the components can be grouped and resized..just a 'right' click away!

Well it may sound 'too much' but the GUI builder in some cases is more flexible compairing with builders like VS.Net..Ι dont know is anyone having the same impressiοn?
  58. Refactoring support[ Go to top ]

I haven't checked the beta yet, but the previous version lacked several refactorings that I'm addicted to from Eclipse and IntelliJ. It was also a bit slower (less "snappy") on my machine.

While all three are reasonably good environments when you get used to them (and I'm in fact using all three) Netbeans still needs to improve quite a bit to become my favourite.

Still, some competition never hurts. I'll check out the new version presently.
  59. Still unstable[ Go to top ]

It looks very good... but I found it still unstable in many situations. It freezes frequently and throws many exceptions while creating/ deleting projects. Hope it is not only me who faced that.