ZValley releases ZEN, a RIA XML platform

Discussions

News: ZValley releases ZEN, a RIA XML platform

1. ZValley releases ZEN, a RIA XML platform (7 messages)

ZValley has released ZEN 1.0, a commercial XML/Java platform designed to support the development of rich internet applications by binding serverside components to client-side components with an XML dialect (ZXML).

ZXML is similar to html in that is used to describe the structure and user interface but has additional features that create a richer user experience. ZEN applications typically use zxml and java for event processing. There is also no need to build a new platform for your rich client applications with ZEN. ZEN can reuse your existing HTML application infrastructure and organizational processes for deployment and operation.

Here is an example of ZXML code that places a label and a button in a box. The text in the button changes when the button is clicked.

<zx:Application >
     <zx:VBox backgroundColor="#ffffff">
         <zx:Label text="Hello World" fontSize="20"/>
         <zx:Button id="button1" text="A simple button"
                    click="change(label,button1)"/>
     </zx:VBox>
    </zx:Application>

Serverside classes can be bound to various ZXML components to provide additional functionality. ZValley has screenshots and applications that demonstrate the various capabilities of the framework.

Other frameworks are using a similar approach, so it may become more common for rich internet platforms. What do you think of this approach?

Threaded Messages (7)

2. imo[ Go to top ]

IMO
    SwixML + Hessian (or other remoting like Spring HTTPInvoker, ideally CORBA) + JavaWebStart will do the same more efficiently
    http://www.swixml.org/
    http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/protocols/hessian.xtp

With SwixML we do not depend on zx: namespace and for sure can use any Swing components.
  3. zen[ Go to top ]

sure, swixML is good alternative, except that you don't get a lot of things like the XWrapper used in zen wich let you code in swing without the complexity of swing.It's a wrapper around swing.

Swing is great but complex and have a higher TCO.With zen, if you know html , you can develop a desktop internet application in less time.

Time is the key point.Even with wingz framework wich permit you to develop faster in swing, zen is for this part a lot of more efficient.

Vincent Bellet
  4. swing extension[ Go to top ]

I agree that there are a lot of extension needed to make swing have a sleek Flex or HTML application look; my own library also include gradient makers, shaded borders (btw, REAL transparency shadows), image buttons and other stuff which is used a lot just to give a GUI that extra touch. (I really like the fading container though).

But that aside just coding a GUI in an applet or JWS using Hessian works perfectly. I do have to figure out a better way to do asynchronous callback easily.
  5. zen[ Go to top ]

sure, swixML is good alternative, except that you don't get a lot of things like the XWrapper used in zen wich let you code in swing without the complexity of swing.It's a wrapper around swing.Swing is great but complex ....
    I would not say that accusations of Swing being that complex smell FUD.
    Yes a wrapper sometimes would not harm but I would rather see it as a library of Swing components, or utility classes. All that can be nicely manipulated by SwiXML, Jython, Beanshell, or from Java code directly.
  6. ZEN[ Go to top ]

it's a debate.From choosing seperates tool or an integrated product wich includes all your needs.

For example in zen, everything is integrated and consistent
  7. ZEN[ Go to top ]

it's a debate. From choosing seperates tool or an integrated product wich includes all your needs.

For example in zen, everything is integrated and consistent, from tags, components, client server comunication to datamodel.

Read more here : http://www.zvalley.com/doc/index.html

Furthermore ZEN Platform struct provide an application skeleton for your application wich let you focus your time on killer-features instead of application plumbing.

More, the wrapper include a simple exceptions management that give you pertinent informations. Most of the time, I dont want to know that the java.awt button throw a NullPointerException. I just want to know where in my code the problem occur. And more, with an xml UI description, i want to know where, in the XML, this exception was thrown.
    These wonderfull exceptions are not thrown in empty space. You can catch them with an integrated debugger.

For sum-up, Zen is not for swing expert but for people who usualy use html or jsp, and want to build true desktop application on internet.
  8. XForms 1.0[ Go to top ]

How does this compare to XForms?
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/