Discussions

News: Ward Cunningham Joins the Eclipse Foundation

1. Ward Cunningham Joins the Eclipse Foundation (4 messages)

In a surprise announcement reported at the EclipseZone, the Eclipse Foundation announces that Ward Cunningham will be joining them as their 10th employee. Best known for his creation of Wiki, a technology that has made a fundamental change in how people communicate and collaborate over the Internet, Ward has currently been working with Microsoft’s Patterns and Practices group.

Eclipse is clearly showing signs that it is creaking under the weight of it’s own success. In addition to bringing a well known and well respected personality into the community, it is believed that Ward can bring his experience of developing community to help ease the problems of having different development silo’s communicate with each other.

Is this a possible move for the Eclipse Foundation? Will this help alleviate the current set of problems that have resulted in a misalignment of views in the community?

Threaded Messages (4)

2. I'm confused.
    Does it mean that he quit Microsoft ?
  3. Or Microsoft also joined/to join Eclipse? :-)
  4. Clearly creaking?[ Go to top ]

Kirk wrote:

Eclipse is clearly showing signs that it is
       creaking under the weight of it’s own success.

Hmm, it's not so clear to me. Care to provide a few examples?
  5. Clearly creaking?[ Go to top ]

Kirk wrote:   Eclipse is clearly showing signs that it is   creaking under the weight of it’s own success.Hmm, it's not so clear to me. Care to provide a few examples?
    Probably no examples. But people/groups/orgs are piling on. (i.e. Zend is joing the Eclipse foundation) And if you have ever been at the bottom of a large pile ... . :)