Monarca Enterprise 2.0, database migration tool, released

Discussions

News: Monarca Enterprise 2.0, database migration tool, released

1. Endian Software has released Monarca Enterprise 2.0, a commercial database migration tool. With Monarca you can import, integrate, transform, validate and migrate data from any-to-any existing databases.

Monarca takes advantage of JDBC to allow migrating data from or to any database that is JDBC compatible, including ODBC databases. You can migrate from FoxPro to Oracle, from Microsoft Access to IBM DB2;, from Informix to PostgreSQL, from Microsoft Excel to MySQL, from Sybase to Oracle, etc. Just plug-in your preferred JDBC Driver for your source and target databases and let Monarca do the entire job for you.

Monarca also saves the migration data as XML, which means you can version crossgrades (or backups) if you need.

Threaded Messages (8)

2. "smart"[ Go to top ]

It's called Database Migration Tool... A database consists in more than data, there aren't only tables in a database! Why would I need a tool that migrates data from my SQL Server database to my Oracle database if it doesn't migrate the stored procedures?
     There is no trial version for the product also... but you can download it ;)
  3. why not[ Go to top ]

actually, there are times we needed a good database migration tools. and no, we do not use stored procedures.
  4. "smart"[ Go to top ]

It's called Database Migration Tool... A database consists in more than data, there aren't only tables in a database! Why would I need a tool that migrates data from my SQL Server database to my Oracle database if it doesn't migrate the stored procedures?  There is no trial version for the product also... but you can download it ;)

What you are talking about is cloning where all the database objects are migrated. Here it is more about migrating existing data from one application to another. I have worked on a similar product for my previous company and it is currently live in a giant pharmaceutical company. (I'm not at liberty to name the company)
    So in effect, ese, there is a need for tools that migrate only data
  5. "smart"[ Go to top ]

Great, thanks!

Does anyone know of any online databases so I wouldn't even have to worry about database translations?

Cheers,

Mark
  6. experiences?[ Go to top ]

Looks interesting. Does anyone have experience with it or other products like it?

Thanks,

Mark
  7. SwissSQL[ Go to top ]

I have experience with SwissSQL (along with some of their other projects from AdventNet). They have data migration tools (schema and content) as well as database migration tools (schema, content, stored procs, triggers, etc.). Some are a bit inflexible but after providing feedback they turned around quick changes that brought the product to where we needed it.

http://www.swisssql.com/

--j
  8. This tool seems to migrate data between databases that have same or similar schema.

Are there any tools that can also do data conversion during the migration? e.g. target CustomerID needs to be generated by concatenating fields from source database...

cheers
    romen
  9. Data Migration[ Go to top ]

Once at my job I had a problem. Had to migrate from one database to another database, but the database servers where the same, the diference was the database structure. The tables where different. So I has developed a software to migrate the data. It uses JDBC and simple selects and inserts to move the data. With this software you can move any data to anywhere. You'll give an example:
    Supose in the source database you have tables like this:
    CUSTOMER (ID, NAME, CITY_NAME)

And the target database is like this one:
    CUSTOMER (ID, NAME, CITY_ID)
    CITY (ID, NAME)

You can create a rule that distinct city names means distinct registries in the city table. The engine would verify the city_name that was on the source database and create a FK for the correct city in the target database. Without creating the same city twice.

Another example:
    My table CUSTOMER was like that:
    ID ..... SEX
    1 M
    2 m
    3 f
    4 F
    5 w (woman)
    In the target database it would be translated only to F or M
    in the sex column.

These are the simplest mapping rules that i had to deal. There where some more complex like concatenating the value of the description column of various rows of a table where the creation date was the same.

The engine of the software supported all this mapping rules nativally. There's one generic rule interface with two methods that you can do ANY mapping rule you want using this engine.

Note that it is data migration. Moving data from one structure to another. Not database migration.

If the source database has the same structure of the target theres no need to buy a software to do that, you only need to translate the DDL to the target database do some selects and after some inserts.
    select * from table and insert into table are compatible across the databases

Thanks...

more info about the data migration tool rogelware-java at yahoo dot com.br