Alfresco Enterprise Content Management 1.0 Released

Discussions

News: Alfresco Enterprise Content Management 1.0 Released

1. Alfresco 1.0, an open source enterprise content management system, has been released. Alfresco provides a repository as well as an application to manage the repository, and has been designed for developing portal content, or replacing uncontrolled shared drives.

Alfresco has been implemented with open source projects such as Spring, Hibernate, and Lucene. It is also a Java Content Repository level 1 implementation, and provides the following features:
    • Library Services (Check-in/out, versioning)
    • Smart Spaces (Rules and Conditions)
    • Desktop File Access (CIFS, FTP)
    • Auditable Content
    • Workflow
    • Content Categorization
    • Data Management and Transformation Engine e.g. Word to PDF
    • Content Streaming
    • Advanced Search (Lucene full-text, Meta-Data, Content, Location and Category Search)
    • Administration
    • Advanced Security
    • Virtual File System making ECM as simple as a Z: drive
    • Team Collaboration
    • Automatic Meta-Data Extraction
    There are two downloadable packages, one with Tomcat and the other with JBoss Portal. Alfresco can use any database supported by Hibernate.

Alfresco is designed to run as a content server, providing a DAV interface, web services, and a custom Alfresco API in addition to the Java Content Repository implementation. With the different deployment models (open source, professional, and enterprise editions) Alfresco is targeting all levels of content management needs, with the enterprise edition including failover, cache, single signon, and other capabilities. (A developer edition and professional edition are also available.)

Threaded Messages (31)

2. Alfresco portlet has been tested on eXo Platform portal too.

Here is the installation info http://www.alfresco.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=241&sid=8cbecfbab4ac4bcc21ed4f97f6da131f

It was a little bit older version of alfresco though.

The only thing that really miss (but that is not that simple as alfresco was not built from scratch with JSR 170 in mind) is as they said JCR level 2 and optional features (they will need to bind their versionning and locking).

Anyway the support of level 1 make the info created in alfresco exportable to be reimported in another compliant JCR.
  3. This is awesome news. We use Alfresco for all the document management needs of our application, and I can testify to its quality. In our case, we embed Alfresco within our server side software (all based on Spring). We looked into Slide and Jackrabbit (among others), and based on our requirements, were about to give up and write our own content management system when Alfresco showed up with exactly what we were looking for.
  4. It is very impressive all of the technology used. I am new to the Content Management Systems and I would like to know if there is a review out there for other Java based CMS. I know two:

Alfresco and Liferay. Which is the best accepted in marketplace.
  5. AFAIK they aren't the same thing, Liferay is a portal and Alfresco is a CMS that can be used in a portlet environment. So you could use Alfresco as a CMS and deliver it through Liferay (at least in theory).

In terms of acceptence, Liferay has been around much longer and will probably have a larger user base right now, but Alfresco has a strong business development team and some lofty aspirations and I pretty confident that we will it being widely adopted in the future.
  6. Carlos,

I can't wait to see where Alfresco takes their product. They definitely have the right team in place.

Another contender to consider is Magnolia, which is already in use in a number of major deployments, supports JSR level 2 features and is internationalized.

Floyd
  7. Another contender to consider is Magnolia, which is already in use in a number of major deployments, supports JSR level 2 features and is internationalized. Floyd

I guess Alfresco is more like "Magnolia for Documents" than the open-source Web-CMS "Magnolia". And Magnolia is build on-top of JSR-170 but does not choose to implement the repository itself - they use Jackrabbit as default, but since it's a standard it should be easily be replaced by other implementations. Alfresco however comes with its own (quite impressive I might add) content repository implementation which soon will get JCR level 2 support too.
  8. script automation[ Go to top ]

JSR-223 Java Language Integration

Thats pretty impressive. I don't think there is any other content management system out there that has built in support for scripting and therefore script automation!
  9. Congratulations, Alfresco! The JBoss Portal team had the opportunity to watch the Alfresco demo and, later, the Alfresco presentation at JBoss World - Barcelona. We were all impressed with respect to the functionality, underlying architecture, and usability you have achieved in a short amount of time.

Considering that Alfresco has a seat in the next version of JCR (http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=283), is founded by an ex-documentum-founder, and has some really talented developers working for them, I expect to see even greater things coming from this London shoppe in the future. ;-)

STAY METAL!
    Roy Russo
  10. ditto, Alfresco is at the open source business conference in Newton, and their product seems quite impressive.
  11. open source enterprise CMS[ Go to top ]

Mmmh! Please take care of your marketing buzz... You mention: "An open source enterprise CMS" and if i go on:
    http://www.alfrescosoftware.com/products/comparison/
    all the "enteprise" features (clustering, caching, user management (looks like quite a std and basic feature for a CMS/DMS!), etc...) are only available in the commercial professional or enterprise version of the software (whose price is furthermore not clearly mentionned). This is even not clear if all these "enterprise features" are available under an open source license or only under a proprietary one....

Cheers,
    Stéphane
  12. open source enterprise CMS[ Go to top ]

Ok this is mentionned in the PDF (http://www.alfrescosoftware.com/assets/pdf/comparison.pdf)

Pro and Enterprise features are available under a "visible source" license. Mmmh! Where can i find a copy of this "visible source" license (I presume not OSI compliant)?

Finally, what if my company contributes to the framework: does it still have to "buy" some licenses when Alfresco can freely reuse my work?

(ok playing the bad guy and i have nothing about making money with software, but I also myself learned the hard way about using "open source" terms in press releases or on a web site).

Peace,
    Stéphane
  13. open source enterprise CMS[ Go to top ]

clustering (etc.) we can worry about later, but what use is a cms without user-management?

is the OS version effectively their trial version? also, can someone explain how an OS version doesn't have visible source?
  14. open source enterprise CMS[ Go to top ]

The Open version has the concept of users, login, basic security and user management etc. The open version does not have the per object level Allow/Deny/Inherit style permissions available in the Enterprise version (that closely mirror the Windows file permissions e.g. Read, Write, Create etc.)

I think there is a plan to add a "simple" permissions implemention for the Open version that would satisfy most non-enterprise users who required something more.

The Open version is certainly not a trail version! It is the fully featured repository and web-client, just without specific addons such as clustering, replication and advanced security features.

Cheers,

Kev
  15. open source enterprise CMS[ Go to top ]

do you work for alrfesco? can you explain the visible v. open source feature?
  16. open source enterprise CMS[ Go to top ]

Definitions:

Alfresco Open Source is licensed under an MPL derived license with permitted attribution clause (Alfresco Public License: APL). This means you can use the Alfresco as an embedded component in a commercial application (with a non open source license) providing you don’t modify the Alfresco source code and you adhere to the attribution requirements. You can also modify Alfresco source code and redistribute this under an open source license again providing you follow the attribution requirements.

Alfresco Professional and Enterprise Networks are governed by the Alfresco Network Agreement. This provides customers with access to source code but without the redistribution rights of an open source license. Users of this license will obtain the source code for their private use; they can modify the source code but not redistribute the source outside of the company either as a commercial or open source license. They are required to keep the source code confidential.

Alfresco’s policy is to make all approved contributions available under the APL to benefit all users and downloadable free of charge.

For developers who wish to use the Alfresco Professional or Enterprise Networks we can allow them redistribution rights under a commercial OEM agreement (as provided in a similar way by MySQL)
  17. CIFS support in Alfresco[ Go to top ]

18. Desktop File Access (CIFS, FTP)

19. Is this a pure Java implementation of CIFS?

The last time I looked (August 2005), Alfresco was using native code to suport CIFS.
  20. CIFS support in Alfresco[ Go to top ]

It is indeed a 100% pure java implementation.
  21. hm[ Go to top ]

My first thought when I saw alfresco was WOW. A well designed and open source content repository could play a keyrole in designing some highly integrated java services. With the recent announcements, that possibility has faded away. A content repository is worhtless for even the smallest buisness without true means of clustering the service. It would be cool to port for example a cms system to use alfresco as a back store, but it would never become a solution I would recommend anyone to use, without the possibility of scaling it later.

I think alfresco will turn out as a good buisness, but it will not turn out as a big player in providing integreted oss java solutions.
  22. hm[ Go to top ]

With the recent announcements, that possibility has faded away. A content repository is worhtless for even the smallest buisness without true means of clustering the service.

Clustering and Replication services are provided as part of the Alfresco Enterprise Network. Having spoken to a lot of vendors and integrators, clustering is seen as a high-end feature which is why it's not included in the Open version. I wouldn't expect any but the smallest business to have issues paying a small fee for professional features and services on any product. Since those features can be added at a later date, it shouldn't hold back an integrated java oss solution.
  23. CIFS vs WebDAV[ Go to top ]

I am trying to understand why one would not use WebDAV and go for CIFS ? Wouldn't the firewall etc. get in the way of CIFS?

I am not knocking CIFS ; I am only interested in knowing the consideration behind using CIFS for CMS .
  24. CIFS vs WebDAV[ Go to top ]

The Alfresco repository can be mapped as one or more shared drives using the CIFS interface. The idea is to help replace the many shared drives that a lot of companies use as unstructured "dumping grounds" for files.

You are correct in that WebDav is a more suitable interface across firewalls and for external access to files in the repository. I wouldn't expect CIFS to be used for that kind of thing - it's much more suitable for Intranet usage.

Alfresco tries to provide as many standard interfaces as possible, including CIFS, WebDav and FTP. I guess you would select the one most appropriate for your integration.
  25. CIFS vs WebDAV[ Go to top ]

The other reason to use CIFS rather than WebDAV is that the number of applications (e.g. editors - images, xml, html) that work with WebDAV is limited. Also, by using CIFS, any application that works with the windows file system can access Alfresco, for example, the Windows Briefcase can be used to do off-line working and synchronization. No additional client components needed, no additional learning curve for the user.

Cheers
    Paul.
  26. CIFS support in Alfresco[ Go to top ]

It is indeed a 100% pure java implementation.

I downloaded Alfresco 1.0

I found Win32NetBios.dll in Alfresco's bin folder
    and Win32NetBIOS.c in projects/netbios

I am looking for find an open source Java CIFS server and I was hoping to find a pure Java library in Alfresco.

FYI: the SAMBA project provides a CIFS client library: http://jcifs.samba.org/
  27. CIFS support in Alfresco[ Go to top ]

The CIFS client implementation is 100% Java. The native code is for Windows only so it can co-exist with the existing Windows file server but it can also be run using the Java socket based code which is pure Java (on Windows or any other platform - which is how it is able to support CIFS on Linux, MacOS and Unix :) So the DLL is supplied for Windows which gives you the best native integration, but the 100% Java version can be used if you prefer.
  28. Good show. However, I am unable to download it. Irrespective of the mirror that I choose, i get this message: "The mirror you've selected, MIRROR NAME does not currently have the file you requested. (This is an error on our part which will be fixed)."

/a
    http://apoorv.info
  29. I think sourceforge was having trouble with some mirrors yestarday - I've just tried it myself and it works (there have been around 20,000 downloads from sourceforge in the last few days so I think it's working)
  30. simple repository use?[ Go to top ]

I've looked at the Alfresco quite a bit, and it looks impressive, very good job. I think that a LOT of people will want to incorporate something like this.

I have always wanted a way to do the following:
    1) When a new user signs into the system, programmatically setup a personal space for them to store files in, max 5MB in size
    2) display this space with a simple windows explorer type view in the web browser and let the treat it as a small repository

It looks to me like Alfresco with do this, but that the web gui is more complicated, and I'm not sure about the programmatic setup...Can someone from Alfresco or someone who has used it comment?

Thanks,

Mark
  31. simple repository use?[ Go to top ]

Mark

The best place to ask questions like this is on our forums - they'll definitely get answered by someone from Alfresco or the user community: www.alfresco.org/forums

For your questions in 1), we do not currently support this behaviour (limits, auto-create home). It might not be too hard to do, but isn't on the list of things to be done soon.

For 2), there is scope for creating an even more stream-lined view, but again there hasn't been enough demand to justify taking effort off other things. In the next release it'll be possible to define custom views of folders/spaces using the templating, so that could give you the chance to define a lighter navigation view of your choosing.

Cheers
    Paul.
  32. simple repository use?[ Go to top ]

Thanks for the info Paul.

I will definitely check out the forums, and check out the templating with your next version.

Best,

Mark
  33. Alfresco provides quite a bunch of great services.
    And it is one of the products that elegantly blurs the border between OSS and commercial SW. The conclusion is that in order to use it in a real world environment, you need the enterprise network license.
    Reading through this thread you will realize that it is not even clear for the base funcionality (such as autorization on the object level) how it will be supported.
    It is a contradiction in itself. The OS community should contribute to the OS project and: Can deliberately buy it back in terms of a commercial license.-) Good idea.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how alfredo will manage the different licensing models. What happens if someone contributes clustering and fine grained security services to the OSS variation? Will it compete with those of the enterprise network?
  34. We are trying to clear up the information on the web-site to make it clearer exactly what is in the Enterprise license. Apologies if it's not quite there yet!

Any contributions made to Alfresco Open Source code is of course open source itself and will be made available to all under the same Open Source license as you would hope - there are already contributions like that in the current code base.

If someone develops and contributes what are currently Enterprise features to the Open version, then that's fine - that's what the community is all about! :) We intend to always be ahead in advanced features that are provided in the Enterprise version, and of course any features added by full time Alfresco developers will be fully "certified" and tested. If you don't want the Enterprise features, and don't care about support then you don't buy it - simple as that.

A security framework to provide private user folders, hidden documents etc. (which I think is the single significant feature that has been discussed and could hold back the use of Alfresco Open Source for small businesses), will definitely be available in the next Open Source release.