Struts 1.0 to 1.2

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Struts 1.0 to 1.2

1. Struts 1.0 to 1.2 (3 messages)

Hello,

I need to migrate one application from Struts1.0 to Struts1.0. Its a very simple web appliction that is deployed sucessfully in exploded directory format.
    Now the moment I replace struts.jar with struts-1.2.jar , it stops functioning.

Intresting point is I don't receive any exception and no log on the console. As a result I see a white screen (though earlier with struts.jar I could see login screen).

HAve any once faced such problem earlier, and comment something then that woudl be of great help.

Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Pavitra

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Re: Struts 1.0 to 1.2[ Go to top ]

There are lot of changed between 1.0 and 1.2 including JDK compatibility. Please check the release notes.

http://struts.apache.org/struts-core/userGuide/release-notes-1.2.4.html.

Also it would be great if you could give more details like appserver version, jdk version etc. May be it's an incompatible servlet engine on your appserver.

A good way to debug is to put a break point in ActionServlet.java and RequestProcessor.java and then run the app.

Thanks,
    Benjamin Thomas

http://www.benjaminthomas.info

Hello,I need to migrate one application from Struts1.0 to Struts1.0. Its a very simple web appliction that is deployed sucessfully in exploded directory format.Now the moment I replace struts.jar with struts-1.2.jar , it stops functioning.Intresting point is I don't receive any exception and no log on the console. As a result I see a white screen (though earlier with struts.jar I could see login screen).HAve any once faced such problem earlier, and comment something then that woudl be of great help.Thanks in advanceRegardsPavitra
  3. Re: Struts 1.0 to 1.2[ Go to top ]

Migrating from Struts 1.0 to 1.2 requires you to recode all classes that extend Action to remove the perform method and replace it with execute. If you have not done this, Struts 1.2 calls the super class Action's execute method and consumes the request (displays a white page). Since the request is consumed but no responce is generated, the system does not log any error message. The perform method was deprecated in Struts 1.1 and removed in Struts 1.2, This prevents it from showing up as a depreceted method in most IDE's.
  4. Hi Will,

Your explanation has been particularly helpful to me while migrating from Struts 1.1 to 1.2.4.
    Thanks a lot.

Regards,
    Darshan Shroff
    shroffdarshan@gmail.com