Discussions

Performance and scalability: My App "Freezes" when mult users generate pdf's

1. My App "Freezes" when mult users generate pdf's (3 messages)

Hello all you J2EE geniouses,
    My app seems to "freeze" up when multiple people try to generate pdf's of varying content at the same time. The app generates a pdf of content from a database based on a record that is on the the users jsp. Anyone have an idea why this wold be happening? It works fine when a couple are in there but when you get 5 or more hitting the function at the same time it seems to choke.

Also, could this have anything to do with all the users being in the same room through the same firewall hitting the same print function, but of course on different pc's?
  2. What is happening inside Java ?[ Go to top ]

There could be a multitude of things happening ...
    1. You could have a synchronization bottleneck somewhere
    2. You could be hitting a resource limit (like exceeding the maximum number of connections to the database, maximum number of your pdf generating service...)

To know what is going on, you'll have to look inside the JVM to see where the different requests are spending their time. What tools are you using to monitor and diagnose this ?

Regards,

Virag
  3. What are you using for your pdf generation? with out giving us any specifics it's hard to identify the problem.

www.binaryfrost.com
    Hello all you J2EE geniouses,My app seems to "freeze" up when multiple people try to generate pdf's of varying content at the same time. The app generates a pdf of content from a database based on a record that is on the the users jsp. Anyone have an idea why this wold be happening? It works fine when a couple are in there but when you get 5 or more hitting the function at the same time it seems to choke.Also, could this have anything to do with all the users being in the same room through the same firewall hitting the same print function, but of course on different pc's?
  4. you should get a JVM dump (kill -3 PID) to know what is happening inside your JVM also it could be a good choice to analize the GC. may be it is spending a lot of time freeing objects.

bye.