James Strachan: Is Ajax gonna kill the web frameworks?

Discussions

Blogs: James Strachan: Is Ajax gonna kill the web frameworks?

1. In "Is Ajax gonna kill the web frameworks?," James Strachan asks "...if the world really does go Ajax or some kinda client technology very Ajax like - will that cause these traditional HTML/HTTP web frameworks to become legacy?" His point is that with AJAX, web applications can be largely static, with AJAX providing the interaction, and backend services providing everything else - avoiding the need for a web framework.

Threaded Messages (7)

2. Yepper[ Go to top ]

I have created a little framework for building web interfaces using REST and xsl. I have no need for anything that stores client state on the server. My last three java based web apps provided nothing but a single index.jsp, a group of stylesheets, a series of servlets which returned xml, and of course css. So for me, yes, the web frameworks are tired and old.
  3. Not really[ Go to top ]

I still use the Struts framework for the bulk of an application and utilize AJAX-->servlet where it makes sense like with dynamic fields.
  4. I think we are at the beginning[ Go to top ]

I agree with James' take on Ajax. It redefines the request-response paradigm for the developer, even more so for the user. I think these frameworks will absorb the Ajax model and extend themselves onto the client side. mvc is mvc
  5. i believe, this will not make end of web frameworks but AJAX will be used in conjuction with these frameworks.. ideally in environments where performance is the bootlenak, there AJAX will play a signifacant role...
  6. I hope so ...[ Go to top ]

things like jsp , php and asp are overated and soon to be obsolete .

Asp.net , tapestry and other component oriented frameworks are however great for developing AJAX based webapps .

I've been playing with tacos ( tacos.sourceforge.net , ajax components for tapestry ) for a few weeks now and it looks very promising .
    The other day I was talking with someone from an old place of work , where they use asp.net and they too have recently purchased a comercial set of ajax components for asp.net .

Ajax might kill some frameworks and older paterns , but it will open the door for new and improoved ones .

I'm looking forward to the times when we'll be able to build web apps in something like swing .
  7. JSF[ Go to top ]

What about JSF ?
    In JavaServer Faces you can build web applications like in Swing.

here are some examples of MyFaces Tomahawk components:

http://www.jground.com
  8. JSF is right up there with tapestry .[ Go to top ]

I see lots of skepticism against ajax , but I think with a well thought of architecture behind your ajax web app things might work out .

Using a JSF like web framework is part of that good architecture .