Java Enterprise Edition Specification hits Proposed Final Draft

Discussions

News: Java Enterprise Edition Specification hits Proposed Final Draft

1. JSR 244, the Java Platform Enterprise Edition 5 Specification, has moved to Proposed Final Draft status. This JSR was expected to ship before the end of 2005, so this should be very close to its final form; any comments or revisions should be sent to the JSR expert group immediately, although by now, such changes would have to be minour.

If you're interested in using Java EE 5 and the changes it brings at the enterprise application level, you should be watching this specification now, if you haven't been already. Note that this specification depends on some other specifications (such as JSR-220, the EJB3 specification), so we can expect those specifications to finalize soon as well.

The specification mentions that ease of development has driven much of Java EE 5, with annotations, the new persistence API, and web services being majour factors. Annotations allow injection of resources (as opposed to programmatic lookup via JNDI) and sensible defaults instead of mandating configuration for simple development.

What do you think of the specification? Will Java EE 5 be the "next killer app" for Java?

Threaded Messages (12)

2. Will Java EE 5 be the "next killer app" for Java?

You mean the next killer ape? Ee, ee, ee, eeek...

SCNR, Lars

--
    http://mind-mill.blogspot.com
  3. Killer App.[ Go to top ]

Will Java EE 5 be the "next killer app" for Java?

Killer App? I think you mean Killer API. I'm sure the answer is no, but it will greatly help those of us who work in corporations require we follow EE specs.

I'm impressed with how much better EE 5 is over the last version of the spec.
  4. Java EE 5[ Go to top ]

I think Java EE 5 should be renamed to jEE 5.0 makes it easy to say and right. Plus it matches other names like JDK ( Java development kit)

jSE 2
    jEE 5
    jME somthing...

thats easier to say and write...

just my two cents..
  5. When will BEA, IBM start certifying their products for 5.0?
  6. Well, guaranteed not until the specification goes final...
  7. BEA used to taking a year, IBM takes 2 years, So you should be able to figure out when. IBM may realse a Websphere 6.1 to incorporate some of new features and Java 5 JVM sometime 2006.
  8. So ... no need for JSP 2.1 or JSF 1.1 in J2EE 5? Who would want to do JSP in JSF.

And Soap(181) part... no way to send/receive Collections yet? Binding to remote DAO results, no need for that.

Good + is that it requires Java 5.0 so it has WebStart version 5.0 for RiA. I wish it included SwingWorker.

This will do battle for hearts and minds of developers like me vs C# 2005, w/ it's binary remoting, datasource and "SmartClient".

.V

ps: I guess this is what GlueCode wants to offer: Axis (yuck slow) + the jBoss "contribution".
  9. and... Portlets? Not a part?

.V
  10. EJB 3[ Go to top ]

I´m working in two systems actually: one based on CMP 2.0 and another based on Hibernate 3.0. CMP is very limited but in my opinion is more easier than Hibernate. The question is: EJB 3.0 will be a powerfull and complex framework like Hibernate is today ?
  11. EJB 3 !![ Go to top ]

We are currently working on applications based on EJB 2.0 CMPs, difficult to code, went thru EJB 3.0 spec, lots of things made easier. I would like to see J2EE 5 atleast for EJB 3
  12. EJB 3[ Go to top ]

I´m working in two systems actually: one based on CMP 2.0 and another based on Hibernate 3.0. CMP is very limited but in my opinion is more easier than Hibernate. The question is: EJB 3.0 will be a powerfull and complex framework like Hibernate is today ?

Hibernate 3 will implement EJB3 interfaces for the data access. So you can use Hibernate as EJB3 CMPs.

What do you mean that CMP2 is limited more than Hibernate3? Do you mean e.g. rich object oriented domain model?
  13. Java EE 5 is great[ Go to top ]

I like Java EE 5 alot
    we are developing in both .Net and Java EE platforms in our company. there have been a lots of feature I liked to see in java platform which are now present in Java EE 5.

but shamefully SUN has blocked access of Iran to its sites so we have to switch to .Net for sansaction problems!
    (who says Java is a free platform? looks like .Net is more free than Java these days)