Do we really need EJB?

Discussions

General J2EE: Do we really need EJB?

1. Do we really need EJB? (5 messages)

Hi,

I was just wondering that what will be the future of EJB, as there are so many different frameworks are coming such as SPRING, HIBERNATE and few of them are bit veteran such as STRUTS , JDO et.Al

Most of these frameworks intends to relief the pain of Praogrammer and make J2EE easir to use.

So, my question is, does that mean that in near future these frameworks will reduce the usage of EJBs and we can avoid using EJBs and go to more simpler enterprise solutions using these frameworks

Threaded Messages (5)

2. Do we really need EJB?[ Go to top ]

I think you don't need EJB

Use Spring -> Hibernate -> Tapestry on Jboss and they rocks
  3. Do we really need EJB?[ Go to top ]

We need EJB because it's part of J2EE specification. It's the result of a top-down process that end up with something that run on a j2ee container..(jboss & friends).

SPRING and HIBERNATE are _only_ products...that solves to some users need... but they do not obey to any constraint..or specification
  4. Try running with -Djava.security.manager as J2EE was intended to run. Turning this on is a lot like 'getting' test driven development.

EJBs then become your friends and any third party .jar that tries to use class loader specifics become... not easy to work with.

Also think about your target deployment. J2EE allows easy clustering and failover of EJBs. This doesn't happen with Spring components.

If your app is only running on one server then Spring may be easier. If you cluster deploy to a farm of 200 servers then EJBs are easier to manage.
  5. Spring and clustering.[ Go to top ]

I've used EJBs before in clustering, to say that you must have EJBs for clustering to work is misleading. You can achieve clustering using spring/hibernate just do it at a higher level(web-tier clustering)… for example you can have a server farm of 200 tomcat’s (4 or 5) with Spring/Hibernate/JMS and achieve the same results using web-tier clustering,

if you are running JBoss/Weblogic and EJBs. Yes of course you have EJBs using CMT/CMP,JNDI,, approach for method level clustering, but from my experience you get the same results with less headache.
  6. Spring and clustering.[ Go to top ]

EJB's solve a specific problem efficiently. Distributed computing... Being able to chop up processes between functional components to service business needs.. For this is works beautifully.

www.binaryfrost.com

I've used EJBs before in clustering, to say that you must have EJBs for clustering to work is misleading. You can achieve clustering using spring/hibernate just do it at a higher level(web-tier clustering)… for example you can have a server farm of 200 tomcat’s (4 or 5) with Spring/Hibernate/JMS and achieve the same results using web-tier clustering,  if you are running JBoss/Weblogic and EJBs. Yes of course you have EJBs using CMT/CMP,JNDI,, approach for method level clustering, but from my experience you get the same results with less headache.