Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: JSP \ Serlet connecting to db2 - How To

1. JSP \ Serlet connecting to db2 - How To (4 messages)

I'm very new here - So Apologies in advance if I've posted to the wrong forum.

I need to read some data from db2 on a mainframe.

I'd like some advice - a where to start - or point me in the correct direction type response.

I have a thin client application that exposes an interface that allows you to call a uri to perform a search or recall data. The help says I can call a JSP or applet.
    I want to get some data back from a db2 table on a mainframe. The thick client apps I want to copy use odbc with Neon Shadow as the driver.
    There isnt an equivalent driver for jdbc.

The accepted way of connecting here is to use the db2 .net data control and ado.net, but thats no good if Im using Java - so where do I go from here
    Im sure this is all very starightforward but I need a hint for where to start looking.
    Thanks

Threaded Messages (4)

2. Can you use a jdbc:odbc bridge driver? in that way you can use the Neon Shadow driver.

The Jdbc:odbc driver is not the best for performance, but it will work.
  3. JSP Serlet connecting to db2 - How To[ Go to top ]

if you're shop is running db2, you should have access to a db2 jdbc driver. this would be preferred over anything else for db2.

hope that helps,

www.binaryfrost.com

Can you use a jdbc:odbc bridge driver? in that way you can use the Neon Shadow driver.The Jdbc:odbc driver is not the best for performance, but it will work.
  4. JSP Serlet connecting to db2 - How To[ Go to top ]

Thanks for the comments.
    I did think of a JDBC ODBC Bridge but the comments I scanned on this approach in google suggested a bridge wasnt reliable in a server applet.
    I really want the Java alternative to the ADO .NET Data provider for DB2 in there is such a thing?
  5. JSP Serlet connecting to db2 - How To[ Go to top ]

Paul,

You very definitely need the DB2 JDBC driver. You don't say which DB2 version you are using. If it is the Personal/Cloudscape/Derby version, the driver is here. Otherwise, I would be very surprised if your DB2 distribution doesn't already come with an appropriate driver, being IBM and all that. Check with your DB administrators.

Or maybe no one is supposed to know you're trying to access the DB using Java ;)

Kit