MyEclipse 4.1 to add AJAX capabilities to Eclipse

Discussions

News: MyEclipse 4.1 to add AJAX capabilities to Eclipse

1. According to a press release from Infoworld, Genuitec plans to add Javascript editing features to the popular MyEclipse plugin, as well as improved UML capabilities, for version 4.1 due in December.

They also intend to continue to enhance Spring and Hibernate support.

MyEclipse is a commercial Eclipse plugin, available in two versions: standard and professional (for yearly subscription prices of $29.95 and $49.95 USD, respectively.) The professional version adds the UML capability and an enhanced Oracle connector to the plugin's extensive feature list, which focuses on J2EE features such as EJB, Hibernate, JSF, Spring, database, and Struts development.

Threaded Messages (24)

2. MyEclipse[ Go to top ]

I have been using MyEclipse for almost two years. I am impressed with their steady progress. I have to use a much more expensive IDE (read super fancy Eclipse plugins) from time to time, and I much prefer MyEclipse.

I'd like to try out MyEclipse's UML support but alas when I bought my subscription the professional version was not avaialble. I suppose I can fork over the extra cash when my subscription expires in Feb. to get the professional version.

P.S. Please add Facelets support!
  3. Unless you LIKE searching out, trying, installing, debugging various plugins for Eclipse, MyEclipse is about as good a cheap IDE as there is. Those are some busy guys...

It's what 80 bucks for the "enterprise" 1-year license? And the feature improvements per year justify the yearly license too.
  4. Carl,

Thanks for the kind words about our product. For a little clarification:

>It's what 80 bucks for the "enterprise" 1-year license?

There are actually two versions. The Standard subscription is $29.95 / year and the Professional level is $49.95 / year with all support and updates included. There isn't an "enterprise" level (just the two I mentioned), although the confusion is understandable since the full name of the product is MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench.

--Scott
    MyEclipse Support
  5. Carl,Thanks for the kind words about our product. For a little clarification:>It's what 80 bucks for the "enterprise" 1-year license?There are actually two versions. The Standard subscription is $29.95 / year and the Professional level is $49.95 / year with all support and updates included. There isn't an "enterprise" level (just the two I mentioned), although the confusion is understandable since the full name of the product is MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench.--ScottMyEclipse Support

As long as we're clearing things up....

"Total cost for the membership is $31.75 (USD) for the Standard Edition (SE) and $52.95 USD for the Professional Edition (Pro). Both rates include a 6% processing and handling fee. "

Seems like an accounting trick to me...

That said, I've been using it almost since the beginning and enjoy the new features each time they come out.

(Although I'd love to be able to start/stop a default server with 1-click)
  6. Preston,

>(Although I'd love to be able to start/stop a
    >default server with 1-click)

Glad you asked! We delivered that in the 4.1 Milestone 1 build a few weeks ago. Here's the link with the details: http://www.myeclipseide.com/ContentExpress-display-ceid-70.html#server

>(Re: Pricing) Seems like an accounting trick to me...

We look at as just providing more detail than most. We give everyone additional visibility in our pricing by showing what's really the product cost and what we have to charge to cover a portion of our credit card processing and delivery channel costs, rather than wrapping it all up. While some may think that delivery of downloaded products is "free", when you pay for redundant servers that push several terabytes of data every month you quickly realize that this isn't the case. :-)

>That said, I've been using it almost since the
    >beginning and enjoy the new features each time
    >they come out.

Thanks for the that, and for the feedback and support you've given us over the years! We really do appreciate all of our users.

--Scott
    MyEclipse Support
  7. MyEclipse Performance[ Go to top ]

I've been using MyEclipse for a while, and it's been a good experience overall. That said, I have a project with hundreds of JSPs and the performance of JSP validation (other types of validation seem to partially have this problem too) leaves something (lots of things) to be desired.

What's interesting that it gets better after certain releases, and then gets worse again.

Sandeep
  8. MyEclipse Performance[ Go to top ]

I agree. I've been using MyEclipse for some time now, but unfortunately, recently I've migrated to WTP (plus few other Eclipse plugins) just becouse of myeclipse performance, especially JSP, XML validation. Working on big projects with lots of that file types can be a little annoying... (with 2G CPU and 1GB of RAM).
  9. WTP adherence[ Go to top ]

I've been using MyEclipse for years as well, and its been fantastic. I've also used WSAD, and would prefer MyEclipse.

Are you guys at MyEclipse doing anything about the WTP stuff? It would be nice to be able to get a common Web design framework.

Nitin
  10. WTP adherence[ Go to top ]

Are you guys at MyEclipse doing anything about the WTP stuff? It would be nice to be able to get a common Web design framework.Nitin

Absolutely MyEclipse will support the WTP when it is production ready. We currently have a port underway which will be a major part of the upcoming MyEclipse 5.0 release. A little known fact is that MyEclipse is actually the 1st commercial adopter of the WTP. It has been running on top of the original WTP codebase for almost 1.5 years.

Wayne Parrott
    MyEclipse Development Team
    Genuitec, LLC
  11. Re: Commercial Supporter of WTP[ Go to top ]

Well, you might be the first commercial supporter, able to release a product based on WTP faster, but the actual first commercial supporter is IBM/Rational ;-)

However, their RAD6 is not (yet) based on WTP and only their marketing might now (now or later?) which RAD or whatever they call it then, will be based on it.

Seems likely they might even base it on WTP 1.5 then, but that was said by the WTP team to be for Java EE 5 (and maybe even Eclipse 5, 4, or 3.5, whatever the numbering scheme at Eclipse Foundation will be?)

How about MyEclipse 5? Does that have any relation and requirement for Java 5, Java EE 5 (no more J2EE now!?;-) or other techologies?
  12. MyEclipse Performance[ Go to top ]

I've found that there tends to be a sweet-spot between Eclipse and MyEclipse versions, sometimes it runs well, other times it doesn't click and the performance is poor. It isn't a big problem, when I find two builds that click I tend to use that for quite some time.
  13. Exadel Studio[ Go to top ]

I've been using myEclipse, but Exadel studio is also very good. I'm developing JavaServer Faces in it.
  14. MyEclipse Performance[ Go to top ]

+1

Try downloading the Liferay Portal code and importing it into MyEclipse... the performance make it completely unusable.
  15. MyEclipse Performance[ Go to top ]

On the performance issues, it's very likely that Eclipse isn't being launched with enough heap or perm space due to the large code imprint. Most performance problems we've had reported have been greatly mitigated by upgrading to Eclipse 3.1.1 and using the following commandline args:
    eclipse.exe -vmargs -Duser.language=en -Xms128M -Xmx512M -XX:PermSize=64M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M

--Scott
    MyEclipse Support
  16. MyEclipse Performance[ Go to top ]

On the performance issues, it's very likely that Eclipse isn't being launched with enough heap or perm space due to the large code imprint. Most performance problems we've had reported have been greatly mitigated by upgrading to Eclipse 3.1.1 and using the following commandline args:eclipse.exe -vmargs -Duser.language=en -Xms128M -Xmx512M -XX:PermSize=64M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M --ScottMyEclipse Support

I don't want to turn this into a support thread. But for the record, I am already using MyEclipse 4.0.3 GA on 3.1.1. I also happen to have these commandline args in there.

The problem seems to be with JSP validation. Does MyEclipse not make an external call to javac (one per file?) to handle this?

Sandeep
  17. MyEclipse Performance[ Go to top ]

Sandeep,

I agree, let's not make this a support thread as we have plenty of forums for that on our website. We'll be glad to help you out if you'll post your question to the support forums there: http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-index.html

--Scott
    MyEclipse Support
  18. MyEclipse Performance[ Go to top ]

Unlikely; WTP essentially crafts an in-memory translation of the Java from a JSP file and turns it over to the JDT resolver for analysis - there's no out-of-process work involved, and given the overhead it would induce I'm pretty sure MyEclipse doesn't change the general approach in their implementation.
  19. Wow, glad to see Eclipse users can actually shell out a few bucks for a software tool :-)
  20. MyEclipse[ Go to top ]

P.P.S Please add iBatis support!!
  21. MyEclipse[ Go to top ]

P.S. Please add Facelets support!
    +1 for facelets support
  22. Another Article from eWeek[ Go to top ]

While this thread mentions the Infoworld article, for those interested there is also an excellent article with a bit more depth from Darryl Taft over at eWeek here: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1893933,00.asp

--Scott
    MyEclipse Support
    http://www.myeclipseide.com
  23. Validate JSP[ Go to top ]

Why My Eclipse can't validate jsp such as IntelliJ IDEA
  24. The other thing[ Go to top ]

Not that I have had a lot of problems with MyEclipse in the past two years, but when I have had issues, the team over at MyEclipse is off the charts in terms of providing support and help. It gives you the impression that your issue is the only thing their support team is working on. Keep up the good work.
  25. Awesome Support[ Go to top ]

I have been using MyEclipse for about a year and half, the support provided on the forums is second to none, overall 5 stars from me.