Discussions

News: Millstone UI Library and Web Adapter 3.1, released

1. Millstone is a web user interface component library for Java programmers. User interfaces are programmed on the server in clean, object-oriented manner in Java. You can create high-quality Web-based UI without working with XHTML, CSS, JavaScript and browser incompatibilities, but working on those levels is also supported.

Commercial support is offered for the library and it is in active use by many of large enterprise applications and software products. The API has been stable since 2002 and support for new browser technologies is actively developed.

Both the Millstone UI Library and Millstone Web Adapter products are distributed under the LGPL license.

This version includes many new features for UI components, better integration with different J2EE environments and required enhancements for upcoming AJAX support. The 3.1 series is backwards compatible with 3.0 API introduced in year 2002.

There's an online demo of Millstone as well as a step-by-step guide for trying it yourself.

Threaded Messages (4)

2. That pop-up message about "AJAX coming soon" that comes up as soon as I open the link to your site is really, really annoying. It does not produce a good impression of your site. If I want obtrusive advertising messages rammed down my throat, I'll stick with Geocities, thanks all the same.
  3. AJAX[ Go to top ]

That pop-up message about "AJAX coming soon" that comes up as soon as I open the link to your site is really, really annoying.

You are correct. The message has now been removed.
  4. Anybody can tell me what is the difference?[ Go to top ]

Who can tell me the difference between Millstone and Echo?
    I have known Echo for many years and ever want to use it, but the performance is a problem. It seems the millstone has a same problem.
  5. Differences between Millstone and Echo[ Go to top ]

From programmers point of view they do actually look somewhat the same: Both are servlets, both publish rather similar component API and both hide the normal HTTP request/response cycles and publish only typed events.

The biggest difference is that Millstone uses strong separation between the visual UI and logical UI. The components (logical UI) are rendered as "user interface description language" (UIDL) and then XSL/T is used to render the HTML output (visual UI).

In general this separation makes it easier to divide the task between development team members. Visual appearence (colors, fonts, margins,...) can be made totally independent from the Java source code, and you don't have to trust your programmers visual design skills...

In Echo the components output the HTML direcly, binding the visual appearence into Java code. This might be ok in small applications, but in larger applications this is rarely a good thing.

What it comes to Millstone performance, until now the situation has been that the XSL transform is the most critical part. With the web-adapter a decent server with decent amount of memory can handle a few hundreds of concurrent users, but I expect the ajax-adapter to perform a lot better on server-side.

You propably have realized that Millstone (and Echo) is designed for web applications not for web pages. This makes it more or less slow with static content. However, the benefits are clear if you are required to have rich, dynamic user interface in your application... use plain HTML pages for help files.