This update features security and permissions framework as part of the open source version.
Alfresco has been implemented with open source projects such as Spring, Hibernate, and Lucene. It is also a Java Content Repository level 1 implementation with the first phase of level 2 available in this release, and provides the following features:
- Library Services (Check-in/out, versioning)
- Smart Spaces (Rules and Conditions)
- Desktop File Access (CIFS, FTP)
- Auditable Content
- Content Categorization
- Data Management and Transformation Engine e.g. Word to PDF
- Content Streaming
- Advanced Search (Lucene full-text, Meta-Data and Custom Meta-Data, Content, Location and Category Search)
- Advanced Security
- Virtual File System making ECM as simple as a Z: drive
- Team Collaboration
- Automatic Meta-Data Extraction
- Document and Folder templating and dashboards
Alfresco is designed to run as a content server, providing a DAV interface, CIFS interface, web services, and a custom Alfresco API in addition to the Java Content Repository implementation. With the different deployment models (open source, professional, and enterprise editions) Alfresco is targeting all levels of content management needs, with the enterprise edition including failover, cache, single signon, and other capabilities.