Discussions

News: Article: eXo Platform v2, Portal, JCR, ECM, Groupware and more

1. This article revisits the open source eXo platform, detailing the most recent release in the first of two articles, discussing eXo's migration from a mere portal to a full product line incorporating the Java Content Repository API, enterprise content management, business intelligence, and groupware.

Read "eXo Platform v2, Portal, JCR, ECM, Groupware and Business Intelligence"

Threaded Messages (32)

2. Well done eXo ![ Go to top ]

Well done eXo ! XWiki is looking forward to eXo Groupware in 2006..
  3. Well done eXo ![ Go to top ]

Yup, well done to the whole eXo Platform team!
    It's a real pleasure to see such an awesome product progressing that quickly.

Moreover, it's also very nice to see different teams helping each other as this has been the case here: the Groovy team is really pleased to have helped you with your integration of Groovy.

And we would also like to thank you and the XWiki team for having generously sponsored a wonderful dinner during the recent Groovy / JSR-241 conference.
  4. Well done eXo ![ Go to top ]

Moreover, it's also very nice to see different teams helping each other as this has been the case here: the Groovy team is really pleased to have helped you with your integration of Groovy.

Yes that was a great help. Without it, it would have taken us much more time to enable a sub JCR tree to become a Groovy class path and therefore to allow optimized groovy scripts online modifications.

And we would also like to thank you and the XWiki team for having generously sponsored a wonderful dinner during the recent Groovy / JSR-241 conference.

Oops, more photos of me with glasses of wine in the hand...:)
  5. Yes we are back

Here are some URL that may add value that first part of the article:

*Regarding Business Intelligence
     eXo demo : http://spagobi.eng.it:8080/portal/faces/public/exo
     project : http://forge.objectweb.org/projects

*Regarding Groupware
     xWiki : www.xwiki.org
     SyncEx : www.syncex.com
  6. Concerning SpagoBI the URL of the project is:
    http://spagobi.objectweb.org
  7. Great work !

The eXo Portal 1.1 is a major contribution to ObjectWeb's community, it brings a lot of advanced features comparing to other Open Source portal.
  8. Great, I've been waiting a long time for your v2 now. All those nifty features complete our toolbox perfectly for the work we do against our customers.

We developed and deployed sucessfull sollutions on the v1 allready and we are eagerly waiting for a release of v2 as this release seems to promise far more than the excelent v1 did.
  9. Congratulations for v2[ Go to top ]

Hi,benj, congratulations for the v2 and your team's hard working. It's amazing to see so many components and subprojects added to exo which enrich the meaning of the portal greatly!

I'm busy with my final paper and final project now,And I can't get on the yahoo messager for my school's firewall,so I just congratulation here!

As I see there is a BI project! But I can't visit it's demo site now. I'm using a open source data miner weka for my final project now,and it works greatly.

Danny
  10. Congratulations for v2[ Go to top ]

Hey Danny

Been a while

Wish you best for your exams.

Weka is also integrated in SpagoBI for the DataMining part. Great tool indeed.
  11. eXo & Workflow[ Go to top ]

Good work Benjamin ! congratulations for the v2 from both Bonita and JOnAS project teams. Hope the JOnAS version of eXo will be available pretty soon.

I'm eager to read the second article, specially the chapter concerning the workflow support.

Miguel
  12. JOnAS support of eXo Portal[ Go to top ]

Hi,

Miguel- you did not have to wait for a too long time.

JOnAS version of eXo Portal 1.1RC1 is now downloadable from this link: http://forge.objectweb.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=151.

The next step is the integration of Bonita Workflow and eXo. That way the ObjectWeb ecosystem can be totally leveraged.

Thank you to Benjamin and his team for this release and, above all, for opening me the doors of this great project!

-Brice.
  13. JOnAS support of eXo Portal[ Go to top ]

Yes thanks Brice

JOnAS distribution is now available, Geronimo, Weblogic and JBoss ones will come later...

Actually we are porting all our build from Maven 1 to Maven 2 and we still need to support those platform EAR deployment.

But what great enhancements in M2 whith huge enhancements in building performance!!!
  14. Congrats[ Go to top ]

Congratulations Benjamin. We are ready to go with eXo v2 :-). Great work!!!! Community will soon see our Collaboration porlets on eXo v2.
  15. Congrats[ Go to top ]

Yes porting JSR 168 portlets that were working in version 1 to version 2 should just be done with a simple copy and paste...
  16. Bravo ! to eXo team[ Go to top ]

for this release of the v2 and the continuously growing eXO platform.
  17. Congrats to all the eXo Platform team. Looks like eXo is gaining good momentum and is becoming a reference in open source portals these days...

Nice synerby with other ObjectWeb projects too: SpagoBI, JOnAS, etc. Keep up the good work.

PS: hey TSS team -- a hint; maybe you should use eXo too, TSS would probably be a little more stable ;-)!
  18. hey TSS team -- a hint; maybe you should use eXo too, TSS would probably be a little more stable ;-)!

Francois, let's have ObjectWeb site on eXo first :-)
  19. Great work Benjamin and eXo Team. I really like the idea of seeing eXo v2 featured product line integrated with Petals Services Platform, as a distinguished offer to a SOA integration approach.

http://petals.objectweb.org

All best!

--
    Rafael Marins
    Fossil E-Commerce
  20. Thanks Rafael

There can be two ways integration of portal platform in an ESB platform.

First we can monitor through the portal all the statitics info the bus can log (and even more if we introduce BI...).

Second, the portal platform itself can expose some services to the bus (thanks to webdesrvices and JBI) such as organisational info.

We had some interesting discussion with you on that in our last meeting in Hanoi, VN for the Object conference and hope to see you in Paris in january for the ObjectWeb conf 2006 but that's a long trip from Brasil (http://objectwebcon06.objectweb.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome).

Note that we also discussed with James Strachan from ServiceMix during the last Groovy JSR meeeting in Paris. And portal in an ESB is definitively an important piece....BEA will probably not say I am wrong :)
  21. Also we have released the new version of plugin that works with v2 directory structure

eXo Platform Eclipse Plugin v2.0.0 is available for download at http://forge.objectweb.org/projects/exoplatform/
  22. Congratulations[ Go to top ]

This release will surely give a boost to open source portal market. Business Intelligence through portals adds a new dimension to this market.

Congrats and wishing all the very best to exo team for their fine efforts.

Regards,
    Vikramark
  23. Congratulations[ Go to top ]

Indeed Vik,

That will also boot the BI commercial market as vendors like BO or Cognos just tend to move towards a web unified platform to present in the same site all the different types of reports ....but in non standards way as none of those vendors provide JSR 168 compliant portals.

Also when you see that BO licenses are around 1000 euros per user, that only 20% of the capabilities are used than you can see the huge market that Open Source portal and BI solutions can grasp with that new BI web unified platform trend!
  24. Congratulations[ Go to top ]

Also when you see that BO licenses are around 1000 euros per user, that only 20% of the capabilities are used than you can see the huge market that Open Source portal and BI solutions can grasp with that new BI web unified platform trend!
    That is a good thought. I have been trying to push another opensource portal (I didn't know about SpagoBI at the time) and it just seems like management is not interested. I can't understand why they don't want to spend money in places it can be really used.
  25. Congratulations[ Go to top ]

Depends on companies (large or small) but many, and more and more management, go the open source way for cost reduction.

Why pay more for a product that is not even better :)

Contact us if you need BI products for an affordable price.
  26. Does it run on Weblogic?[ Go to top ]

Looks like a great product.

Can you tell me if it runs on Weblogic?

-Martin
  27. Does it run on Weblogic?[ Go to top ]

We have not tested on Weblogic yet

So far it is working on

- Tomcat 5.0.x
    - Tomcat 5.5.x
    - JOnAS 4.5.3
    - JBoss 4.0.3sp3

You can contact us directly if you are interested in making version 2 work for Weblogic 8 or 9
  28. Congratulations to Benjamin, Tuan, and all eXo team for the great work that as been done.
    I'm already working with v2, and seen many improvements from v1.
    Very nice service based organization.

keep going on this way!

cheers,
    Davide.
  29. Good news for the eXo Platform
    But does the Byline project still alive ?
    No release since August 31, 2004 ...

Definition of Byline =
    Suite of enterprise applications that include content management, portal, and collaboration capabilities.
    http://byline.objectweb.org/
  30. You are right it is dead :)

They entered ObjectWeb at the same time as us but did not continue the effort as the product was based on older technologies.

They did not find their community...
  31. GPL license and standards[ Go to top ]

Exoplatform is a great work, and a bundle of good open source projects.
    The whole is released under GPL, and that's ok.
    I have a portlet based ecommerce solution under a proprietary license. It's portlet and JSF standards based, so it's not linked to your solution and it can be hosted in other portals.
    My dependencies are on standards, licensed by Sun and others, so installing your solution and configuring it for my portlets is like installing a commercial application in Linux, isn't it? I say, my product can legally be not GPL licensed.
    I read a lot, and for a long time, about GPL, but I ask you to express your view on this specific point.
    Talking about containers and standard-API implementations, I think GPL is, actually, less restrictive than for custom libraries or applications.
    Willing to clarify, greatings, bye.
  32. GPL license and standards[ Go to top ]

Hi Daniele

First, let me tell you that I read your post on Javalobby and that I hope that now you know eXo you think it is the best of the Open Source (and hopefully closed source) portals.

For us as long as you don't distribute eXo with your portlets then of course you don't need to use the GPL license for it. Just let your customer install eXo by itself as he would indeed fo for any Linux solution.

The important point is the distribution notion.

Nevertheless, if you want to leverage a preconfigured eXo configuration with your portal and distribute it to your customers then you will need to either use the GPL license or the commercial one.

HTH
  33. Does it run on WebSphere?[ Go to top ]

Hi, Does eXo run on WebSphere? What i need to do to run it on WebSphere. We want convert all our portal from WebSphere Portal to eXo, is it posible? Erwin Development Architect