Study says Google users are more wealthy, net savvy

Discussions

News: Study says Google users are more wealthy, net savvy

1. A study by S.G. Cowen & Co. says that Google users tend to be richer and have more Internet experience than users of the other search engines, including Yahoo!, AOL, and Microsoft's search, according to an article on Infoworld. Ask Jeeves rounded out the top five. Considering how many Java web services tutorials use the Google API, this has to be a good thing. :)

Threaded Messages (28)

2. I am sorry... did I miss something here. How is web-service-tutorial(s) linked with Google's popularity among rich ppl !!
  3. Study says Google users are more wealthy, net savvy[ Go to top ]

I am sorry... did I miss something here. How is web-service-tutorial(s) linked with Google's popularity among rich ppl !!

I meant web-service-using-google-API-tutorial(s)
  4. "Moreover, people whose primary search engine is Google are more likely to have household incomes above US$60,000 than people who use competing search engines, according to the survey,"
    The above sentence implies "Use Google as your search engine, and consequently, get paid US$60,000". Is that what it means? Really? It should say - Moreover, people whose household incomes are above US$60,000 are more likely to choose their primary search engine as Google over any other such as Yahoo!, MSN, or AOL.

Anyway, another malarkey from infoworld; what else?
  5. Well, at least they didn't malign people with Indian-sounding names.
  6. Ignoramus[ Go to top ]

Well, at least they didn't malign people with Indian-sounding names.

Joseph, people don't get any more ignorant than YOU.
  7. Ignoramus[ Go to top ]

I'm sure of it. :)
  8. Proud to be a Google User :)[ Go to top ]

Message #193109 Mark as noisy Mark as noisy Mark as noisy Post reply Post reply Post reply Go to top Go to top Go to top
    Ignoramus
    Posted by: siju odeyemi on December 06, 2005 in response to Message #193104 1 replies in this thread

Joseph, people don't get any more ignorant than YOU.

>>Sorry,

I read Joseph's message as good intention to Indians, why he is arrogant?

Proud to be a Google User
  9. Proud to be a Google User :)[ Go to top ]

Well, at least they didn't malign people with Indian-sounding names. Message #193109 Mark as noisy Mark as noisy Mark as noisy Post reply Post reply Post reply Go to top Go to top Go to topIgnoramusPosted by: siju odeyemi on December 06, 2005 in response to Message #193104 1 replies in this thread    Well, at least they didn't malign people with Indian-sounding names.Joseph, people don't get any more ignorant than YOU.>>Sorry,I read Joseph's message as good intention to Indians, why he is arrogant?Proud to be a Google User

Sorry,I read Joseph's message as good intention to Indians, why he is arrogant?

Proud to be a Google User

P.S. May I ask a feature from TSS.com? I think we should be allowed to modify the posting of our own.
  10. This is another malarkey from infoworld.[ Go to top ]

"Moreover, people whose primary search engine is Google are more likely to have household incomes above US$60,000 than people who use competing search engines, according to the survey,"
    The above sentence implies "Use Google as your search engine, and consequently, get paid US$60,000". Is that what it means? Really? It should say - Moreover, people whose household incomes are above US$60,000 are more likely to choose their primary search engine as Google over any other such as Yahoo!, MSN, or AOL.
    I don't read the sentence that way - I read it exactly the way your slightly awkwardly-worded sentence reads. There is no implication of causality, just a statement of fact. Its like saying "people who read the Wall Street Journal are more likely to earn over $100k." It is not cause and effect. No one is saying that the way to make $100k is to read the WSJ.

Craig
  11. Understanding studies[ Go to top ]

The above sentence implies "Use Google as your search engine, and consequently, get paid US$60,000". Is that what it means?

Nope, that is NOT what it means. It means that there was a statistically significative correlation found, but that doesn't mean that they discovered a cause-effect relationship.

A classic case in empirical studies in the field of education: Students who study less have better grades. Cause-effet? Nope, it just means that talented students need to work less to get better grades than less-talented students.

sv
  12. Google adds that their users are also better looking and smell nicer.
  13. Google adds that their users are also better looking and smell nicer.
    It's true! (... or so I hope!)
  14. My wife says she'd prefer a google engineer over Brad Pitt any given time. (which is why I never tell her about that testng guy, because he's a google engineer _and_ has a french accent)
  15. My wife says she'd prefer a google engineer over Brad Pitt any given time. (which is why I never tell her about that testng guy, because he's a google engineer _and_ has a french accent)
    I can take care of zat, just give me 'er email address.

--
    Cédric
    (accent included everywhere)
  16. I am glad I use Google, then. Does this mean I have to take a pay cut if I stop using it?

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol Coherence: Clustered Shared Memory for Java
  17. Amateurs! :)) (whoever replied to my earlier message)

I only wanted to see how much known my id was getting. So,

Joe: Only American-sounding names immediately jumped on my comment, and replied as if they are experienced University lecturers. :)) It can't get any funnier!

I am very happy overall though.
  18. Joe: Only American-sounding names immediately jumped on my comment, and replied as if they are experienced University lecturers. :)) It can't get any funnier!

That's funny, I don't see any "American-sounding" names. I see mostly names indicative of a European heritage that may or may not belong to U.S. citizens.
  19. Wealth Building Program[ Go to top ]

Anyone want to try my new wealth building program? Act now! Don't miss out on this one. Earn a hefty income from the convenience of your own home.
  20. "Study says Google users eat more pickles, than users of Yahoo" :)))

Disclaimer.
    This study is sponsored by major pickle producer.
  21. A study by S.G. Cowen & Co. says that Google users...
    Google who? What do you call a person searching for something in yellow pages book? A yellow pages user? Or just someone who can read? Blah.
    "Study says Google users eat more pickles, than users of Yahoo"
    Study says that 100% of pickle eaters die.
  22. Study says that 100% of pickle eaters die.

Not true .. I read the study, and the verdict is still out.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol Coherence: The Java Data Grid
  23. Study says that 100% of pickle eaters die.
    So rest live forever? :)-
  24. no they dont[ Go to top ]

Study says that 100% of pickle eaters die.
    So rest live forever? :)-

Does it say like that? i do not think so
  25. How much money did it say that people are more likely to make if they read TSS.com? :-)
  26. Why?[ Go to top ]

I know studies present facts and typically avoid drawing conclusions about those facts, but does anyone have any thoughts on why? Are people who are more affluent more likely to consider the source for their information? Do they hate Microsoft/AOL? Is it because they are more likely to use broadband and thus less likely to have MSN/AOL as their home page? Why do you use google?

Or are you a poor MSN/AOL/Yahoo user? ;-)
  27. Why?[ Go to top ]

...does anyone have any thoughts on why?...Why do you use google? Or are you a poor MSN/AOL/Yahoo user? ;-)

MSN, AOL and Yahoo all advertise to the masses on television. Google gained it's fame from the white-collar business/technical workplace.
  28. Why?[ Go to top ]

Why do you use google? Or are you a poor MSN/AOL/Yahoo user? ;-)
    Does someone even remembers AltaVista? Never really liked Yahoo/MSN/AOL's overcrowded pages anyway...
  29. Post hoc ergo prompter hoc[ Go to top ]

That's not what this article is, but it's funnier to think of the conclusion that way. "Use Google, oh poor and huddled masses of the world...that's all you need to do..."

Kinda like the one about people owning company coffee mugs being more likely to be promoted.