Penrose 0.9.8 Released, adding Persistent Cache

Discussions

News: Penrose 0.9.8 Released, adding Persistent Cache

1. Penrose 0.9.8 Released, adding Persistent Cache (2 messages)

The Penrose team is proud to announce the 0.9.8 release. Penrose is virtual directory server. Unlike a traditional directory server, virtual directory does not master the data itself in its own database. Instead a virtual directory will dynamically translate requests it receives to operations in other protocols or data models, such as to a relational database. It comes with Penrose Studio, a GUI-based administration and mapping tool based on eclipse RCP 3.1 platform

Highlights include:
    Persistent Cache
    Penrose Studio improvement
    Embedding Penrose is now easier than ever
    Various bug fixes and performance enhancements.

You can find more information in the release notes.

Threaded Messages (2)

2. Speed[ Go to top ]

This sounds good in theory but:

I installed LDAP servers for years up until 2001, so my expirence is not super new, but based on my expirence LDAP is about speed. I have installed LDAP servers for the Navy and for General Electric, and in both cases speed of the directory was the make or break factor.

There have been products in the past that have offered to translate from LDAP to some other protocol, or storage repository, but response time under heavy load has been a problem in every product I have tried.

Does anyone have any expirence running this product under heavy load with a large database?
  3. Speed[ Go to top ]

I suppose the idea behind Penrose is not to create the fastest LDAP implementation, but to expose existing repositories in a standard manner.

They have an example on their site of using a mysql database as the persistence mechanism for LDAP. This would be a very useful tool for bringing legacy systems online in newer architectures. Think of the amount of applications that have custom authentication mechanisms backed by RDBMSs. With Penrse, you could expose those details as a directory server which would increase the return on the original investments and prolong the life without having to completely retrain existing staff.

It would be interesting to get *some* performance metrics though.