Definition of Enterprise Application?

Discussions

EJB design: Definition of Enterprise Application?

1. Definition of Enterprise Application? (3 messages)

We often talk about Enterprise Application and J2EE is a Enterprise Architecture...
    but in fact, who can tell me what is enterprise application? What kind of application should be called enterprise application? Who can give me the definition or explaination of this term?

Threaded Messages (3)

2. enterprise application is any software application hosted on a server which simultaneously provides services to a large number of users, typically over a computer network
  3. Definition of Enterprise Application?[ Go to top ]

We often talk about Enterprise Application and J2EE is a Enterprise Architecture...but in fact, who can tell me what is enterprise application? What kind of application should be called enterprise application? Who can give me the definition or explaination of this term?

It depends a bit on the context, but in the J2EE world, "enterprise application" normally refers to any J2EE application packaged as a .ear file which contains 1 or more web- or EJB- applications.
  4. thanks for replying[ Go to top ]

So, you mean in j2ee world, if we pack a .ear file for a application, we can can call this application a enterprise application?I think not only this, but the APIs and other specifications for build a application with java.But if we did not use much APIs of j2ee, and only use the APIs such as JSP,Servet,JDBC to build a java web application, can we call this application an Enterprise application?

In my opinion:An enterprise application(not only in j2ee world)maybe an application with much resource to integerate;an application across network;an application with high performance requirement and scalable;secure and robust;easy to maintain and extend...