Jakarta Commons Configuration 1.2 released

Discussions

News: Jakarta Commons Configuration 1.2 released

1. Jakarta Commons Configuration 1.2 released (6 messages)

The Commons Configuration team is pleased to announce the availability of Commons Configuration 1.2.

Commons Configuration provides a generic configuration interface which enables an application to read configuration data from a variety of sources, e.g. properties files, XML documents, JDBC datasources and many more.

The new release contains several bug fixes, many of them related to file based configurations and reloading strategies. There are some new features as well:
    • DTD validation for XMLConfiguration
    • Improved compliance of PropertiesConfiguration with the specification of java.util.Properties
    • New configurations implementing the "property list" format used on NeXT/OpenStep and its XML variant used on Mac OS X

A full list of changes since the previous release can be found in the change log at http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/configuration/changes-report.html

Commons Configuration is available in either binary or source form from the Configuration downloads page:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_commons-configuration.cgi

Enjoy!

The Commons Configuration Team

Threaded Messages (6)

2. linked configuration[ Go to top ]

Can these configurations be linked to each other...?

For example:

Configuration cfg = new SystemConfiguration();
    cfg.add(new JNDIConfiguration());

So, that application can take aggregation advantage of the different configurations sources and see it as one configuration...

submit_count[5]
  3. Heya,
    I'd just like to point out that although this announcement has not created much noise, Apache has a great deal of mindshare.

Java people just see this announcement - and think "yep, more good stuff coming out of Apache - nothing to argue about here, lets move along".

many thanks to all the jakarta commons developers.
  4. linked configuration[ Go to top ]

Yes you can build a single configuration from several sources. You would write it like this:

CompositeConfiguration config = new CompositeConfiguration();
    config.addConfiguration(new SystemConfiguration());
    config.addConfiguration(new JNDIConfiguration());
  5. linked configuration[ Go to top ]

Yes you can build a single configuration from several sources. You would write it like this:CompositeConfiguration config = new CompositeConfiguration();config.addConfiguration(new SystemConfiguration());config.addConfiguration(new JNDIConfiguration());
    Great! This looks good.

Now if I have the same property XYZ in SystemConfiguration and in JNDIConfiguration? Will the XYZ start lookup from first registered cfg? (in your example it will be SystemConfiguration)

Also, do you support Memory based configuration (e.g. Property or String[])
  6. linked configuration[ Go to top ]

To be more clear:
    SystemCfg has XYZ=123
    JNDICfg has XYZ=987

Now if I have:
    CompositeConfiguration config = new CompositeConfiguration();
    config.addConfiguration(new SystemConfiguration());
    config.addConfiguration(new JNDIConfiguration());

When I look for XYZ value...will it return 123?
  7. The Commons Configuration team is pleased to announce the availability of Commons Configuration 1.2.Commons Configuration provides a generic configuration interface which enables an application to read configuration data from a variety of sources, e.g. properties files, XML documents, JDBC datasources and many more. The new release contains several bug fixes, many of them related to file based configurations and reloading strategies. There are some new features as well:
    • DTD validation for XMLConfiguration
    • Improved compliance of PropertiesConfiguration with the specification of java.util.Properties
    • New configurations implementing the "property list" format used on NeXT/OpenStep and its XML variant used on Mac OS X
    A full list of changes since the previous release can be found in the change log at http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/configuration/changes-report.htmlCommons Configuration is available in either binary or source form from the Configuration downloads page:http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_commons-configuration.cgiEnjoy!The Commons Configuration Team

I use Spring to do most of my configuration. However, I still see value in this project. I read through the docs and... I like the fact that Commons Configuration is chained.

Someone needs to create something like:

org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer

but for Jakarta Commons Configuration....

Proposed Name:
    org.springframework.beans.factory.config.CommonsConfigurationPlaceholderConfigurer

It is on my list of things to do... Maybe someone will beat me to it.