Eclipse rolls out Web Tools Project 1.0

Discussions

News: Eclipse rolls out Web Tools Project 1.0

1. Eclipse rolls out Web Tools Project 1.0 (20 messages)

The Eclipse Foundation today released version 1.0 of its Web tool project.

WTP 1.0 defines a platform API for third-party commercial adoption and extension, and offers a new feature called "facets" which helps users to understand where they can deploy different features.
    The WTP project includes source editors for HTML, JavaScript, Cascading Style Sheets, JavaServer Pages, SQL, XML, Document Type Definition, XML Schema Definition and WSDL, as well as graphical editors for XSD and WSDL. "The graphical editors are important," [project lead Tim]Wagner said. "People don’t always understand the different syntax. If you’re concentrating on Web services, the goal is to make you productive without worrying about the details of how a WSDL file is put together."

WTP 1.0 can be downloaded here.

Threaded Messages (20)

2. Great[ Go to top ]

Great job eclipse WTP team! I wonder what happens to those small firms that created eclipse plugins for web development.

C
    http://chintanrajyaguru.com
  3. Great[ Go to top ]

I wonder what happens to those small firms that created eclipse plugins for web development.

They are forced to innovate even further, one of the great side-effects of open development methodologies.

WTP is definitely awesome, by MyEclipse is light-years ahead of the curve, though. New milestone has good AJAX-development support, including a (good) javascript debugger!

http://www.myeclipseide.com/ContentExpress-display-ceid-70.html

Good job WTP team! Keep the for-profits innovating!!

-Michael
  4. Well for the small plugin makers[ Go to top ]

They all plan to base their app server runners on wtp, and already have.
    MyEclipse currently is on a forked early version of the WTP and
    Exadel on 0.8.
    I assume a similar situation with Nitrox.
    The WTP is only a base plugin and the Plugin makers can concentrate on different areas.
    And I agree the new MyEclipse is awesome, especially for Spring and Hibernate, the JSF support however is very basic especially the visual editor and the component bar still need lots of work.
  5. leveling the playing field[ Go to top ]

The hope is that WTP provides a platform that helps level the playing field - both large *and* small vendors benefit from having the infrastructure. Over time all of us have to deal with technology commoditization, but overall having infrastructure is a win - no one wants to rebuild (or pay for) yet another project model or deployment API, and having those in place frees vendors up to work on (e.g.) AJAX or other cool features.

Tim Wagner
    http://www.timwagner.blogger.com
  6. wrong url in signature?[ Go to top ]

Tim,

Your URL in the signature is giving Server Not Found, are you sure it is correct? I also tried http://timwagner.blogger.com/ with the same result.
  7. released version 1.0 of its Web tool project
  8. Let's wait a little[ Go to top ]

There seams that 1.0 release was planned today but not yet avalible yet. I'll wait a little...
  9. The annoucment was today, but it looks like the actual download will be available later this week.

"The Eclipse Foundation, an open source community committed to implementation of a universal development platform, will make the Eclipse Web Tools Platform (WTP) 1.0 release generally available the week of Dec 19th, 2005."
  10. Very impressive, I have been using WTP 0.7 and linger for 1.0 which I will wait till it is absolutely available for download which perhaps makes me download an update for Eclpse platform, because I am now using V3.1 and this package requires V3.1.1 or maybe V3.2, I think the site will clarify this when it arises the point to tell.
  11. Well, it's an RC, but...

It's so cool!! I tried the 0.7 and it looks like the best development platform for Java-based web applications -- fast and well-thought out. The architects really cared about even very small features. This is a software masterpiece.

I really would like to know what has changed since 0.7.

I wish it had better support for multiple webapps per project. This can be done by manually modifying the .wtpmodules file, but there is one problem that I could not have solved yet: how to compile common files at two output folders (webapp1/WEB-INF/classes and webapp2/WEB-INF/classes) at the same time? Ok, this is not a common requirement, but this is what I need in my current project to test out immediatly how the changes to the code affect the behaviour of each web app in the project.

Anyway, I wish this project good luck and highly recommend to use it.
  12. I wish it had better support for multiple webapps per project. This can be done by manually modifying the .wtpmodules file..

There is no .wtpmodules file any more (since RC3?). The whole idea of .wtpmodules and .deployable folder has been redesigned (i dunno why). Now you have a .settings folder in which a .components file resides. The content looks the same as the old .wtpmodules.
    but there is one problem that I could not have solved yet: how to compile common files at two output folders (webapp1/WEB-INF/classes and webapp2/WEB-INF/classes) at the same time?

Try to add your own builder (see project properties > builders). Just point to an existing ant target. It will get executed whenever your project needs to be re-built (havent tried it yet myself)..

Kind regards,

Murat Dönmez
    www.zarif.nl
  13. You can also try NTFS Link tool (google for it) if you are working in Windows. This tool makes real symbolic links in Windows (like in Linux).
    Can be really handy. This way you can create any number of symbolic links pointing to your bin folder anywhere you want.
  14. Where!?[ Go to top ]

It's RC5 - there is no final 1.0 yet. It was slated for release on Friday but RC5 was released instead. I've seen 12/22 as a new date in the newsgroup.
  15. RC5 vs. GA confusion[ Go to top ]

(posting again...looks like TSS is having some technical issues this morning)

Apologies for the confusion regarding RC5 vs. GA, especially with the press hitting before download buttons were ready on the homepage. Here's the scoop:

RC5 was built last Friday (12/16) and should be the final set of bits we GA on. We have a mandatory hold for 5 business days in order to collect release notes from testers and early adopters. You can download RC5 now and then check back this Friday (Dec 23rd) to pick up release notes and ensure that the GA declaration went ahead as planned.

We'll also add a better link and explanation on the WTP homepage. Sometimes it's hard to keep the press and the release details completely in sync, and with the holidays coming up fast they got a little out of order - again, our apologies for the confusion.

Thanks to everyone who's tried out WTP; please give RC5 a spin and let us know what you think (including bug reports and feature suggestions). It's tough getting such a big piece of software out the door...I'm *so* gonna enjoy having a week off...

Tim Wagner, WTP lead
    http://www.timwagner.blogger.com
  16. I wish it had better support for multiple webapps per project. This can be done by manually modifying the .wtpmodules file..
    There is no .wtpmodules file any more (since RC3?). The whole idea of .wtpmodules and .deployable folder has been redesigned (i dunno why).

I think it was to be usable with Maven 2 (it was quite hard to regenerate a project). There were a lot of issues depending if you were using regular Eclipse with some other plugins or Wtp. Wtp was not working like a regular Eclipse plugin (needing more projects files) and some people complained. And since Maven 2 seems to have the momentum right now, they decided to fix it. I could be wrong but I saw a lot of post about those files on Maven mailing list.
  17. Better late and bugfree[ Go to top ]

than on time and bugridden, given the comments on the mailing list, there still are some issues, with Tomcat.
    (Deployment fails etc...)

Since this thing will be the base of pretty much every webdevelopment plugin in the Eclipse sphere, better take another bunch of weeks and iron it out instead of rushing it before christmas.
  18. WTP 1.0 Release Plan[ Go to top ]

Bsed on release 1.0 page:

http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/releases/1.0/

It will be available on 2005-12-23.
  19. As far as I know, WTP was broken out of IBM WSAD initially, and still looked & worked similar to it in 0.7.

> MyEclipse currently is on a forked early version of the WTP and Exadel on 0.8.
    > I assume a similar situation with Nitrox.

Nope... Nitrox is an independant code base, as far as I know. Seemed superior... But Nitrox from m7 is now BEA Workshop Studio... Tim, could you clarify what this means? Has some of the m7 Nitrox code base (people?) already found its way into WTP?

PS: On the URL, it's http://timwagner.blogspot.com/
  20. WTP origins, NitroX rebranding[ Go to top ]

On WTP origins: Both IBM (WSAD) and Eteration (Lomboz) contributed to the initial code drop. WTP now evolves independently, although both companies continue to be heavily involved. Commercial adopters continue to migrate their implementations onto WTP (or further onto WTP), so the fact that 0.7 and IBM commerical offerings look similar in some respects should be expected.

Speaking of which...the NitroX product line from the former m7 has been rebranded "BEA Workshop 3.0". In this release, product functionality (and implementation) remains mostly unchanged (some improved support for WLS deployment has been added). BEA's WTP-based offering, to be called "BEA Workshop for WebLogic Platform" is in technical preview now and is due in GA form in Spring of 2006. The former NitroX line was not WTP based (although it used the WTP XML editor), but BEA has said that it will integrate the two Workshop product lines.

(And thanks for correcting my blog URL...it's been a sleep deprived kinda week what with the 1.0 launch, EclipseCon program decisions due, and a day job to worry about ;-)

Tim
    corrected blog URL: http://www.timwagner.blogspot.com
  21. Just released[ Go to top ]

For those of you who have been waiting. I believe WTP 1.0 has just been released.

Rgds,
    Adrian
    http://www.frappr.com/dukekids