Commons HttpClient 3.0 released

Discussions

News: Commons HttpClient 3.0 released

1. Commons HttpClient 3.0 released (9 messages)

The Jakarta Commons HttpClient project has released HttpClient 3.0. This release fixes all of the bugs discovered in RC4.

HttpClient 3.0 provides the following new features:
    • Architecture
      • New preference architecture
      • Improved exception handling framework
      • Granular non-standards configuration and tracking
      • Improved HTTP Version configuration and tracking
      • Support for streaming entities
      • Support for tunneled HTTP proxies via the ProxyClient
      • Ability to abort execution of HTTP methods
  2. Connection management
    • Support for closing idle connections
    • Support for JDK1.4 connect timeout through reflection
    • Support for connection manager shutdown
  3. Authentication
    • Improved authentication framework
    • Plug-in mechanism for authentication modules
    • Interactive authentication support
    • Alternate authentication support
  4. Cookie management
    • Cookie specification plug-in mechanism
    • 'Ignore cookies' cookie policy
    • Improved Netscape cookie support
  5. Redirects
    • Cross-site redirect support

Threaded Messages (9)

• I visited serveral times yesterday and got an exception page showing that something died in the persistence layer.

No comment?
  • Thanks, great work![ Go to top ]

Great library! Highly recommended if you need to get HTTP or HTTPS pages.

We are writing a client for Bugzilla and we have to pull out a lot of pages through HTTP/HTTPS and HttpClient works perfectly.

The only thing that we have to bother with lately is JDK bug that makes "connection timeout" parameter irrelevant - http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6223635 . It would have been nice if HttpClient had a workaround for this, since the problem may happen with anyone using java sockets.
  • Re: Thanks, great work![ Go to top ]

Igor,

The bug you mentioned only occured when trying to connect to a socks proxy. And you always can go to Sun's bug report site and vote for that bug if you want it to get more attention.
  • Excellent software[ Go to top ]

Just want to send my thanks to the HttpClient team. We've been using it in XFire and it has worked great. It makes dealing with HTTP so much easier.
  • HTTP based Integration[ Go to top ]

One of our projects had a requirement to integrate to a third party product which has only a web interface and a proprietary database schema. I was involved in architecting a solution where we used HTTP Client to simulate a user for enabling the integration. It sure was a complex integration scheme however HTTP client made it easy.

Saju Thomas
    Ishi Systems Inc.
  • Pipelining Still Not Supported[ Go to top ]

While I like HttpClient quite a bit, it desperately needs to add support for HTTP Pipelining.

This is critical for high performance over long latency connections.

Does anyone know if they are planning on adding this in? I didn't see much other than a place-holder bug report on the jakarta sight and it didn't seem like there was much urgency to it.
  • Pipelining Still Not Supported[ Go to top ]

While I like HttpClient quite a bit, it desperately needs to add support for HTTP Pipelining.This is critical for high performance over long latency connections.Does anyone know if they are planning on adding this in? I didn't see much other than a place-holder bug report on the jakarta sight and it didn't seem like there was much urgency to it.

The support for HTTP Pipelining is planned for the next major release (Jakarta HttpClient 4.0). Presently Commons HttpClient is undergoing a complete rewrite and an API redesign, so this may take a while

Oleg
  • API redesign[ Go to top ]

I don't get why every major HttpClient release involves complete API redesign?

Regards,
    Theodore
  • API redesign[ Go to top ]

I don't get why every major HttpClient release involves complete API redesign? Regards, Theodore

Have you been taking any interest in day to day running of the project?

Oleg