Discussions

News: JOnAS EJB 3 Prototype Available for Download

1. ObjectWeb has announced the availability of an early prototype of the JOnAS EJB3 container. It's still under development, and more complete versions will be delivered during 2006 (as can be expected, as the specification isn't finished yet).

You may try the EJB3 container very easily right now on JOnAS 4.6 as soon as you are using a jdk 5, by deploying it as a RAR module. It is provided with simple examples illustrating both the EJB3 features, and the ease of use of this new container. Indeed, in addition to the EJB3 ease of programming, this container makes the developer's and deployer's life far easier.

You may download the EJB3 container prototype, including a getting started guide, the RAR and the examples, with more details in the GettingStarted.html included in the distribution. [Editor's note: you may need to use the primary distribution site to retrieve the correct file; when I tried the mirrors, I received an incomplete version, with parts missing. Your mileage may vary, and if you get a complete distribution from a mirror, let TSS know so we can amend this post.]

Threaded Messages (17)

2. Since Jonas implementation is based upon Hibernate,
    I fail to see why i should use Jonas EJB3 instead of JBOSS implementation made by Gavin King.

I think it's a waste of time to duplicate EBJ3 open source implementation based upon Hibernate.
  3. Oh because EJB Is only about persistance ???
    Great news :)
  4. Since Jonas implementation is based upon Hibernate, I fail to see why i should use Jonas EJB3 instead of JBOSS implementation made by Gavin King.I think it's a waste of time to duplicate EBJ3 open source implementation based upon Hibernate.

Ahh yes - the good old "I fail to see... Its a waste of time..."
    I like options.. I like to be able to choose the kwirks of JBoss or the kwirks of Jonas. I REALLY do like the possibiliy (in a perfect world) to be able to take my EJB3 app from JBoss and move it to Jonas or visa versa.. Some organisations have made a decision to take the time to learn and use JBoss, others to learn Jonas.. Theres more to an appserver today than just the EJB(3) implementation. By using the same EJB3 impl (for the time being) it might even be simpler to move between the two app servers.. I think this is great news.
  5. JOnAS Implementation is not based on Hibernate.
    It only uses Hibernate's EntityManager for the persistence part.
    And it's planned to replace it with Objectweb's own implementation, based on Speedo (http://speedo.objectweb.org).
  6. Since Jonas implementation is based upon Hibernate, I fail to see why i should use Jonas EJB3 instead of JBOSS implementation made by Gavin King.

If you see no difference between ORM and EJB3 there are no reasons for you ;-)

I'll try JoNaS because Red Hat already included JoNaS in its distribution. I want application server to work out of the box and I want my OS provider or at least repository provider (e.g. jpackage) to care about updates.

Regards, Vitaliy
    RUNA WFE
  7. Since Jonas implementation is based upon Hibernate, I fail to see why i should use Jonas EJB3 instead of JBOSS implementation made by Gavin King.I think it's a waste of time to duplicate EBJ3 open source implementation based upon Hibernate.

I think that we should create 40 or so different J2EE servers based off of JBoss. All with very small tweeks or implementing different parts of the stack. That way we can look like the Linux community. Throwing wild self congradulated parties every time they the slightest mod.

Ok on a real note. I think that it is very important that we have JonAs. I think having more then one opensource J2EE server helps ensure that opensource J2EE offerings stay healthy.
  8. I think that we should create 40 or so different J2EE servers based off of JBoss. All with very small tweeks or implementing different parts of the stack. That way we can look like the Linux community.

Do you think guys blaming linux, running windows xp on server can create something? ;-)
    I think that it is very important that we have JonAs. I think having more then one opensource J2EE server helps ensure that opensource J2EE offerings stay healthy.

With JOnAS we already have more than two opensource application servers - Geronimo, JBoss, JonAS.

Regards,Vitaliy
    RUNA WFE
  9. With JOnAS we already have more than two opensource application servers - Geronimo, JBoss, JonAS.

Is Geronimo done baking yet?
  10. Is Geronimo done baking yet?
    They didn't make final release yet (milestone 5).
    But they already have passed Sun certification for J2EE 1.4
  11. Is Geronimo done baking yet?They didn't make final release yet (milestone 5).But they already have passed Sun certification for J2EE 1.4
    Not yet, according to the website they are getting close to 1.0.
    Geronimo will become really interesting once they support J2EE 1.5 and EJB3.
    But it has been amazing how fast those guys were with getting the entire infrastructure up and running, given that the J2EE spec is huge and servlets which they could get out of the box only were a small part of it.
  12. it has been amazing how fast those guys were with getting the entire infrastructure up and running

No surprise to me. It seems IBM helps them a lot.
  13. hurra ASM - shiny on AOP?[ Go to top ]

That 's great to see yet another excellent use of ASM bytecode manipulation. Congratulations for that work to ObjectWeb at large.

It's interesting to see though that most of your class adapter machinery just mimics what AOP would do out of the box with sounded semantics and a more high level API (introduction of interfaces, method, and interception ), not to mention your invocationContext on the fly generated class (should I say join point class).

It's also funny that the distrib includes a bunch of JBoss dependancies. Is commoditization of the app server stack going so far that there's no room anymore for real innovation / differenciators - no matter the "world" you are in (commercial or open source)?

Also, could your RAR based container be used out of the box (or almost) in another app server / in a standalone / unit test mode ?

Last one: my guess is that you'll need some more machinery to hook in a JSR-181 javax.jws implementation to have your EJB 3 SLSB be exposed as web service. How do you anticipate that one?
  14. hurra ASM - shiny on AOP?[ Go to top ]

Also, could your RAR based container be used out of the box (or almost) in another app server / in a standalone / unit test mode ?

* it's already almost usable in another app server. I think it may have some libs missing from the RAR (carol.jar, asm, ...)

* for the standalone mode, you just have to create a new org.objectweb.jonas.ejb3.server.Embedded instance and start it. You can configure it with a ServerConfig object.
  15. I feel pretty astonished by the first few lines.. "ObjectWeb has announced the availability of an early prototype of the JOnAS EJB3 container. It's still under development, and more complete versions will be delivered during 2006 "

I am glad to see that ObjectWeb now speaks with commercial companies set of terms : early prototype (aka non fully working version), still under develpment (aka lack of features and market testing), complete versions (aka are we gonna talk of entreprise version, premium version, gold support .. and all that stuff!!) and ofcourse... deliver (means deliver to client..not only uploaded on any public server!)

Sounds like ObjectWeb... is on the way !!!! arfff

Stephan
  16. I feel pretty astonished by the first few lines.. "ObjectWeb has announced the availability of an early prototype of the JOnAS EJB3 container.

The original news was worded "the JOnAS team announced..." and TSS made it "OW announced..."
    I am glad to see that ObjectWeb now speaks with commercial companies set of terms : early prototype (aka non fully working version), still under develpment (aka lack of features and market testing), complete versions (aka are we gonna talk of entreprise version, premium version, gold support .. and all that stuff!!) and ofcourse... deliver (means deliver to client..not only uploaded on any public server!)Sounds like ObjectWeb... is on the way !!!! arfff

:)

Yeah, it gives us a break from the good ol' "community, meritocratic, grassroot" rethoric, right ;-)?
  17. very gud interpretation of the words :) .Its becoming the trend nowadays.every so called opensource company is cuming with all sorts of Jargons like this.
    they surely have forgotten or never read the open source architecture ;)

http://lokeshpant.blogspot.com
  18. Great News[ Go to top ]

Great News...

More implementations means more support for EJB3.