Article: Using Eclipse BIRT Report Libraries and Templates

Discussions

News: Article: Using Eclipse BIRT Report Libraries and Templates

1. This article by Mark Gamble of the BIRT team examines how to create a controlled and easy to use reporting environment for your organization leveraging Library and Template features in BIRT, the Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools project from Eclipse. You will learn how these features can be combined to present a powerful, drag-n-drop report assembly model that developers use to quickly build rich web report content.

Read the article here.

Threaded Messages (12)

2. ~ vs. JasperReports[ Go to top ]

i am about to start a bunch of reports that are not "so-simple", so infact, any comparison with JasperReports would be great!
  3. A very good introduction to BIRT[ Go to top ]

I was evaluating BIRT recently for a client, and despite being familiar with the Eclipse platform, was unable to bridge the gap between what BIRT said it could do, and me being able to make it do it!

This article bridges the gap very well in a very comprehensive manner and shows the abilities of the business reporting tool to good effect. While I can't (yet) comment on it's effectiveness (compared to Jasper, Brio, Crystal, or Business objects), the fact that the BIRT solution is deployable into an Enterprise Java environment is very attractive as a solution.

Kudos to Mark for this excellent resource.

Paul , Firstpartners.net
  4. A very good introduction to BIRT[ Go to top ]

I was evaluating BIRT recently for a client, and despite being familiar with the Eclipse platform, was unable to bridge the gap between what BIRT said it could do, and me being able to make it do it!

Well I set up our reports writers with BIRT. They had no Java or Eclipse or BIRT experience. No experience with tools like BIRT (ie Actuate). We also are, so far, using scripted datasets. They were, with minimal direction from me, able to crank out reports, including "sub reports". And, we they had no data to work with nor a database to pull the data structure from.

There is plenty of help on the newsgroup and website for those who have questions. Comparitively, this project is in its infancy and yet is very mature. A lot has to do with the Actuate lineage. From what I can tell, Actuate has been on the cutting edge of Report development and is a step ahead of everyone else.
  5. Re: A very good introduction to BIRT[ Go to top ]

This is a good comarison written by this guy http://groups.google.co.in/group/javakb/browse_frm/thread/310c48665cb21930/c166075263ca2ab5?lnk=st&q=birt+jasper+&rnum=1&hl=en#c166075263ca2ab5 According to him he picked jasper report, but I find BIRT better and have confidence that it would grow in near future and the developer community in eclipse is quiet strong and going ahead it would be still better. How ever I have used both the report but I like the way BIRT handles queries, which makes it quiet superior to jasper. --Souravmay Das
  6. ~ vs. JasperReports[ Go to top ]

I would like to say that JasperReport works really well and iReport designer for it helps a lot: http://kgionline.com/presentations/ireport/ireportDemo.jsp

I especially like that iReport and JasperReports are IDE agnostic.
  7. BIRT does allow Parameterized Reports, We can use Multiple Parameters per Report.

Also we can set the constraints on the the parameters, such as should be float value <=, String etc.
  8. I know that Eclipse BIRT is free but Oracle reports service is not, so there's no way to compare their features. But if there's a way (I'm not sure if there is) to intergrate BIRT into web applications, then iText and Jakarta POI can be used to create pdf or excel files and we can get rid of Oracle reports services.

Does anyone know if we can use parameters with this BIRT?
  9. I know that Eclipse BIRT is free but Oracle reports service is not, so there's no way to compare their features.
    You should be able to pull up feature lists from both. Usually Oracle has developer licenses too (you can download the software and play with it).
    But if there's a way (I'm not sure if there is) to intergrate BIRT into web applications,
    From the Link - "BIRT is an Eclipse-based open source reporting platform for web applications ..."
     then iText
    Version 2.0 uses iText to generate pdfs.
     and Jakarta POI can be used to create pdf or excel files

I believe someone is working on csv output. Excel output is difficult because you usually need that in a specific format and that is not straight forward no matter what. Any thing less and csv will do.

and we can get rid of Oracle reports services.
    Does anyone know if we can use parameters with this BIRT?
    Yes. And you can pass Java objects to it and call Java from it.
  10. Can work with Swing?[ Go to top ]

Can Birt work with Swing? Fat client is what I have.
  11. Can work with Swing?[ Go to top ]

Yes. I am using it on a large Swing App. Viewing the reports is an issue. I am using a PDF Viewer (not open source). You can also try JREx which is a Swing Gecko Widget.
  12. Re: Can work with Swing?[ Go to top ]

Yes, we are using a hack [For Swing], we are directing to the webpage from where it is being viewed so printing issues is handled there it self. -Souravmay Das
  13. birt: deployment and jasper[ Go to top ]

I find it a little weird to deploy all the osgi stuff with my web app. I would like to have some jars deployed only in Web-Inf/lib in a standard way and preferably not a huge runtime. Also the fact that there's a separate configuration for logging, well, this means that birt is not for j2ee. But, the designer works great, I could make a report in minutes, without having 8 sub-reports (remember Jasper). Given the facts mentioned above, I had to use Jasper nevertheless, because of ease of integration.