Discussions

News: Apache Geronimo 1.0 Released - Finally

1. Apache Geronimo 1.0 Released - Finally (58 messages)

Apache Geronimo 1.0 introduces complete J2EE 1.4 certification, support for Java Business Integration (JBI), Tomcat or Jetty Web container deployment options, a complete Web-enabled management console based on Java Portlets, full integration with the Eclipse Web Tools Project, and integration of Apache Derby and the Apache Directory Server.

The downloads currently come in two flavors, Tomcat and Jetty. Choose your poison ;-)

For more information, see the Apache Geronimo web site at:

http://geronimo.apache.org

For downloading, see:

http://geronimo.apache.org/downloads.html

For full release notes can be found here:

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/geronimo/1.0/RELEASE-NOTES-1.0.txt

Threaded Messages (58)

2. Congratulation for the great job !!!
  3. J2EE is dead[ Go to top ]

Geronimo is late.
  4. J2EE is dead[ Go to top ]

Geronimo is late.

Actually, J2EE is just now becoming stable enough that you shouldn't have to pay for it any more. The same happened with servlets a while back. Another great example is Linux. Notice how Linus doesn't try to impress people with new features. Its main aim is to be a good clone.

Think of Geronimo as a good clone of WebSphere and WebLogic.
  5. J2EE Is Alive[ Go to top ]

Geronimo is late.

So what ?

----

The J2EE community faces some serious challenges, but it's a long way from dead.

Too many goofballs.
  6. Released? Position This As[ Go to top ]

Congratualtion to the team! It is a BIG job WELL done!

This is what I see the position of the product:

1. For small and non-critical apps, this should be good enough.
    2. For more important ones, go to the commericial ones like WebSphere.

Well, this is obvious like anything else: You can get a cheap one (free for license part). If you need/want to have 'fancy' features, then you will need WebSphere...

Also, this is proven it is gradually maturing in the besic features of JSP/servlet/tranditional EJB space. This normally means 'flat' for a while before the new movement (EJB3...)
  7. re: J2EE is dead[ Go to top ]

Geronimo is late.

Honestly!

Did the author of the above quote get off his back-side and contribute to the Geronimo development effort?

If he didn't contribute to Geronimo then he shouldn't complain that it has taken so long to get a GNU, fully J2EE compliant platform implemented.

apache.org code doesn't materialise out of thin air!
  8. Gerongo is late[ Go to top ]

Geronimo is late.
    Honestly!Did the author of the above quote get off his back-side and contribute to the Geronimo development effort?If he didn't contribute to Geronimo then he shouldn't complain that it has taken so long to get a GNU, fully J2EE compliant platform implemented.apache.org code doesn't materialise out of thin air!

Dude, GNU ?
  9. Congratulations for a significant and true open source contribution
  10. Good news to us all.

Is any roadmap for JSR 220 aka EJB3 support?
    How about integration with Resin?

Regards, Vitaliy
    http://wf.runa.ru/English/About/About.html">RUNA WFE</a>
  11. New appserver era started! :-)[ Go to top ]

Congratulations everybody that has been involved - great job!

This is really starting a new era of app-servers for Java: Production/cluster-focus from the beginning, a perfect lifecycle machine for JBI implementations, really nice transaction handlig, etc!

We will start using Geronimo as soon as it runs on a Java 5 JVM. (Anyone who knows when this will happen? :-)

Johan Strandler
    Chief Architect, OMX Technology - Banks & Brokers
  12. is Java EE 5 next?[ Go to top ]

i definitely don't want to spoil the well-deserved celebrations - but given that Geronimo has now fulfilled its goal (i.e., to produce an Apache-licensed J2EE 1.4 application server) will the project continue to build a Java EE 5 application server or does Glassfish, JBoss and JOnAS satisfy the Geronimo team?

just curious,
      gerald

http://www.gerald-loeffler.net
  13. Its next[ Go to top ]

We are currently working on producing the 2.0 branch which is the Java EE 5 track.
  14. EE 5 is definitely on the roadmap for this year. Java 5.0 is a significant issue even before EE 5.

As well as some additional features like:

Little-G where you can specify the components you want in the server and we'll only package those so you can get a server size that meets your needs and not carry the extra bits around that aren't necessary.

We're improving the install story as well with a GUI installer that will make the install experience a bit more guided.

Adding more features for monitoring

Improving clustering support in terms of features and administration.

We're not done by any stretch. Other AppServers have a few years maturity on us so we have lots to keep us busy :)
  15. Maven 2.0 Plugin?[ Go to top ]

EE 5 is definitely on the roadmap for this year. Java 5.0 is a significant issue even before EE 5.As well as some additional features like:Little-G where you can specify the components you want in the server and we'll only package those so you can get a server size that meets your needs and not carry the extra bits around that aren't necessary. We're improving the install story as well with a GUI installer that will make the install experience a bit more guided.Adding more features for monitoringImproving clustering support in terms of features and administration.We're not done by any stretch. Other AppServers have a few years maturity on us so we have lots to keep us busy :)

First off, congratulations! I am eagger to test anduse Geronimo.

Here's a question. Do you have any plans to release a Maven 2.0 plugin since Maven 1.0 plugin is already available?

Thank!
  16. GUI installer... Why's that useful?[ Go to top ]

We're improving the install story as well with a GUI installer that will make the install experience a bit more guided.

This sounds like a waste of time, IMHO.

I hope that you'll continue to provide a ZIP/TGZ for those of us who want either unattended installs or aren't interested in the random bits of stuff that some installers leave sprinkled around our systems.
  17. Hmmm[ Go to top ]

This sounds like a waste of time, IMHO. I hope that you'll continue to provide a ZIP/TGZ for those of us who want either unattended installs or aren't interested in the random bits of stuff that some installers leave sprinkled around our systems.

Couldn't diagree more. While it may be good to maintain an unattended install option, it's also going to be important to provide a professional-quality installation mechanism. In addition to increasing adoption rates, it will drive the team to achieve complete control of their code base.

I hope this effort works out. The current situation, in which the superior app server, WebLogic, is slowly losing ground to the clearly inferior app server, WebSphere, and the most-publicized open-source alternative, JBoss, is clearly not committed to the general welfare of the J2EE community, is a slow but certain loss for everyone using J2EE.
  18. Did deploying POJOs as GBeans make it into the 1.0 release?

The handful of incomplete HTML pages as documentation evokes early releases of JBoss...
  19. Can someone (knowlegeable) explain the role Geronimo is intended to play? Will it become like Eclipse where vendors will supply add ons? Is it intended to compete against JBoss, WebSphere, et al? Is it a reference or teaching platform with or without production utility at the lower end of the scale?
  20. Answers[ Go to top ]

Can someone (knowlegeable) explain the role Geronimo is intended to play?

It will play a similar role as the other application servers. To serve your applications at an Enterprise capacity supporting the J2EE standards that are expected.

>>Will it become like Eclipse where vendors will supply add ons?

Hopefully, yes. The GBean architecure allows you to plug in or remove products. If you have another open source project you want to plug in, then produce a GBean wrapper and voila. The neat thing about Geronimo is it comes complete with many successful and popular opensource projects plugged into it already, such as Tomcat, OpenEJB, ActiveMQm etc.

>> Is it intended to compete against JBoss, WebSphere, et al?

It's primary goal was not to compete with the other application servers, but offer another way of doing it. But with that said...it should be able to play the same game the others do ;-)

>> Is it a reference or teaching platform with or without production utility at the lower end of the scale?

Hard to understand what you are asking here...

Its ready for production environments and you should be able to run a majority of your applications on it. Can it be used for teaching? Sure. But I think the area that differs Geronimo form the rest of the pack is the ability to "roll you own" app server. You can pick and choose the components you want to use without the need for a full stack. Just want to run Tomcat and ActiveMQ? Go for it...disconnect the other components. You can make the app server as heavy or as light as you want.
  21. IBM WebSphere Application Server Community Edition (WAS CE) is built on Geronimo.
  22. Apache Geronimo has many goals. With regard to the runtime deployments our goal is to be one of the many options available to both developers and businesses as an Enterprise capable Application Server. The other consumer of the technology is for technology companies to be a user of Geronimo to create unique server offerings. I think someone else noted that IBM is using Geronimo as the basis for its WebSphere Community Edition (CE) offering.

The goal was not to produce simply a reference implementation that demonstrates functionality; Sun fills that space with the Reference Implementation (RI).

It is based on a GBean kernel which simply stated allows for the combination of any number of components out there. Jeff Genender described it well in an earlier post so I won't repeat it here.

Apache Geronimo is about choice and flexibility.

And yes, one could use it in academic experimentation and make modifications to the server without having to contribute back to the Apache Geronimo project; the choice is their's as well.
  23. Would there be integration with Mule(ESB) provided as a part of the next release.
  24. Would there be integration with Mule(ESB) provided as a part of the next release.
    Right now you can you the Mule JCA Resource Adapter to deploy to any application server including Geronimo. But we have GBean support on our roadmap for deploying both Mule and the Mule JBI container to Geronimo.

Cheers,

Ross
    ross.mason@symphonysoft.com
  25. Waiting for a long time[ Go to top ]

Congratulations to the entire team for maling this happen

There is more in store for this app server to be best.

With the support for so many other open source projects for integration, sky is the limit

Question:
    - Would there be integration with Mule(ESB) provided as a part of the next release.
  26. Re: Waiting for a long time[ Go to top ]

Question:- Would there be integration with Mule(ESB) provided as a part of the next release.

Mule has integrated with Geronimo for a long time via a JCA component:

http://mule.codehaus.org/Geronimo+Integration

But there's also a very solid integration of ServiceMix that's almost completed. ServiceMix provides a fully compliant JBI container.
  27. Re: Waiting for a long time[ Go to top ]

ServiceMix provides a fully compliant JBI container.
    I wouldn't go that far :)
  28. Congratulations!
  29. Congratulations! This should dramatically change the App Server market.
  30. Great job and thank you. I have been eagerly waiting for the final release. Are there any plans for BPEL support?

Regards,
    Adrian

http://www.frapper.com/dukekids
  31. Great job and thank you. I have been eagerly waiting for the final release. Are there any plans for BPEL support?

Geronimo is currently integrated with ServiceMix which has full BPEL support as well as support for JBI components and a full JBI component suite.

James
    LogicBlaze
  32. Geronimo is currently integrated with ServiceMix which has full BPEL support as well as support for JBI components and a full JBI component suite.JamesLogicBlaze

Good to hear, will look deeper into this. Thanks.

Regards,
    Adrian

http://www.frappr.com/dukekids
  33. ServiceMix is gone??[ Go to top ]

Just downloaded Geronimo 1.0 build with Jetty, and ServiceMix is gone. I wonder why?
    The release notes file includes this task:
    [GERONIMO-1326] - Remove ServiceMix modules / builder from 1.0 branch.

Someone please clarify...
  34. ServiceMix is gone??[ Go to top ]

The ServiceMix integration which was in Geronimo trunk on december, just before the 1.0 was planned, was really outdated and uses one old version (1.0) of ServiceMix. We had not enough time at the moment to revive it so the decision to remove it was taken.
    We now have a working set of gbeans in svn head (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/servicemix/trunk/servicemix-gbean/)
    that works much better with servicemix 3.0-SNAPSHOT and a geronimo deployment plan http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/servicemix/trunk/servicemix-gplan/src/plan/plan.xml which needs to be updated to Geronimo 1.0.
    We are planning to test / document this integration asap, so that users will be able to use it.

The main feature of this new integration is that ServiceMix is now deployed as a real JBI container, which can be used to install standard jbi components and deploy service assemblies / service units. This will be very usefull when used with the new standard jbi components developped for ServiceMix 3.0, mainly the servicemix-lwcontainer, which can be used to deploy servicemix.xml configuration files.
    The previous integration could deploy these files, but was creating one jbi container for each configuration, so that the components could not be wired together.

We will keep informed both servicemix and geronimo user lists as soon as the integration is finished and ready to use.

Guillaume Nodet
    gnodet@logicblaze.com
  35. Open-source![ Go to top ]

As a matter of feedback, I want to congratulate the Geronimo leadership for making an announcement with a section called "Significant Missing Features". Other J2EE open-source products having fulfilled the letter but not the spirit of the open-source approach, it is comforting to see that the Geronimo leadership has the proper attitude. I feel completely comfortable recommending use of Geronimo.
  36. Blue-sky Replication[ Go to top ]

I would like to pitch my implementation of the totem single-ring ordering and membership protocol for use in some Geronimo replication requirements.

Pros:

- Effective flow control in totem protocol makes it the world's fastest totally-ordered reliable multicast protocol.
    - Total ordering of messages makes implementing replication and mutual exclusion easy.
    - Predictable latency and throughput. The maximum window size of the flow control can be used to set the maximum latency and throughput.

Cons:

- Totem is cpu-intensive and therefore for best results you should have an extra cpu core or extra cpu.
    - Latency grows with the size of the ring.

Guglielmo

Enjoy the Fastest Known Total Ordering Protocol
  37. What I really miss in Geronimo is Java 5.0 support. I don't mean EJB3, just simply running the server under JRE 5.0.

Maybe the Geronimo Core/Kernel will work. That might be good enough for me as I mostly just use Spring/Hibernate for my apps.

Anyone a clue about this?

I read that Geronimo 2.0 is in the works now, with EJB3 support. It would be great if a interim release like maybe 1.5 would make the current 1.0 compatible with JRE 5.0.

S.
  38. My biggest gripe: No Java 5 support[ Go to top ]

What I really miss in Geronimo is Java 5.0 support. I don't mean EJB3, just simply running the server under JRE 5.0.Maybe the Geronimo Core/Kernel will work. That might be good enough for me as I mostly just use Spring/Hibernate for my apps.Anyone a clue about this?I read that Geronimo 2.0 is in the works now, with EJB3 support. It would be great if a interim release like maybe 1.5 would make the current 1.0 compatible with JRE 5.0.&nbsp;S.

I'll second that motion
  39. I think somebody said that OpenEJB depends on some Sun classes which are in jdk 1.4 but not 1.5, something orb-related.

Guglielmo

Enjoy the Fastest Known Totally-Ordered Reliable Mutlicast Protocol
  40. Maybe the Geronimo Core/Kernel will work. That might be good enough for me as I mostly just use Spring/Hibernate for my apps.

Wouldn't a servlet container à la Tomcat be enough, then?
  41. Maybe the Geronimo Core/Kernel will work. That might be good enough for me as I mostly just use Spring/Hibernate for my apps.
    Wouldn't a servlet container à la Tomcat be enough, then?

A lot of my apps are not web apps. Some just need to make a custom network service available. Geronimo is a great container for stuff like that.

S.
  42. You can use Java 5 if...[ Go to top ]

You don't use EJB or IIOP stuff, you should be able to run the container with Java5. This maybe isn't a great solution for those who wish to use these services... but for a servlet container with Spring and Hibernate...it should be enough.
  43. Java 5 seems to be supported[ Go to top ]

What I really miss in Geronimo is Java 5.0 support. I don't mean EJB3, just simply running the server under JRE 5.0.Maybe the Geronimo Core/Kernel will work. That might be good enough for me as I mostly just use Spring/Hibernate for my apps.Anyone a clue about this?I read that Geronimo 2.0 is in the works now, with EJB3 support. It would be great if a interim release like maybe 1.5 would make the current 1.0 compatible with JRE 5.0.&nbsp;S.

I tried Geronimo 1.0 yesterday on OS with JDK 5 and it worked fine. However, if you use Spring and/or Hibernate, you will need to make some modifications to your WEB-INF/geronimo-web.xml file.

http://jroller.com/page/raible?anchor=running_spring_and_hibernate_on

Matt
    http://raibledesigns.com
  44. Java 5 seems to be supported[ Go to top ]

Doh - should read "yesterday on OS X with JDK 5"...
  45. The small delay was worth it[ Go to top ]

I would give kudos for the Geronimo team to make sure 1.0 was ready and take the additional few weeks. Geir in particular was the voice of reason.

It really is a great time for Java developers who want to try an open source J2EE app servers, Geronimo, Jonas, JBoss, Glassfish and free access to many commercial servers.

If you are interested in trying out Geronimo with mysql and postgres I've written up some notes using Geronimo with our SpikeSource stack http://developer.spikesource.com
  46. Could be that today start the troubles for JBoss... people (and firms) will have another free container to choose.
  47. Could be that today start the troubles for JBoss... people (and firms) will have another free container to choose.

What a shame ;-)

Whilst JBoss must be far ahead in terms of functionality at this point, I imagine Geronimo will play catch-up pretty fast for the really important features and I know from reading TSS for the past few years that there are many professional developers who would prefer to deal with a professional body such as Apache than with the "interesting" personalities over at JBoss with their "suck my d***" comments to public newsgroups. Also, the Apache 2.0 license makes Geronimo more appealing to many of us in the first place.

Congratulations to the Geronimo team for giving the community a more palatable choice for an open-source J2EE server.
  48. Mosaic[ Go to top ]

I can't help the feeling that one of the greatest strengths of geronimo may turn out to be one of its greatest weaknesses. Geronimo is a lot like the mix and match/best of breed approach that the well versed top 500 consultant often sells to its customers over choosing a single product (her motivation usually quite different than that of the geronimo guys, I assume).

Still - almost all of the core functionality of geronimo is essentially third party - let alone tons of support libraries. This is a major dependency and challenge for the future as the J2EE standard evolves. It will most likely create a consistent lag when implementing new functionality as the standard evolves. The problems in supporting Java5 are the first signs and portents of the challenges ahead.
  49. Mosaic[ Go to top ]

I think they had no other choice, simply because creating the whole stack from scratch would take much longer, and people would still complain about NIH syndrome... ;)
    OTOH, it may be that there should be a bigger push on each core stack component to be more up to date with the specs and java evolution in general, now that they are part of an "official" product and not just a loose component. Whichever part is holding Geronimo from jumping into Java5 will get a sudden interest from developers now, and so should happen to other parts of its core as the language, platform and specs evolve, making Geronimo`s core stack components evolve faster, now that they are part of a whole. At least that`s my POV into this.
  50. Mosaic[ Go to top ]

I can't help the feeling that one of the greatest strengths of geronimo may turn out to be one of its greatest weaknesses. Geronimo is a lot like the mix and match/best of breed approach that the well versed top 500 consultant often sells to its customers over choosing a single product (her motivation usually quite different than that of the geronimo guys, I assume).

In that sense it appears to be a lot like a Linux distributions. The functionality inside is so varied that it _has_ to evolve independently, and the value is in the integration. And that's precisely what Geronimo provides.

Another approach that comes to mind is "worse is better", probably the single most effective idea in all of IT. Give people something to use asap.
    Still - almost all of the core functionality of geronimo is essentially third party - let alone tons of support libraries. This is a major dependency and challenge for the future as the J2EE standard evolves. It will most likely create a consistent lag when implementing new functionality as the standard evolves. The problems in supporting Java5 are the first signs and portents of the challenges ahead.

The lag is ok with me. But I think what will also happen is that as Geronimo takes over as the default j2ee server the spec will follow Geronimo and not the other way around. I think that happened with Hibernate and it will happen again wherever specs are being writtem purely to legitimize existing commercial products which are not so hot in the first place.
  51. Mosaic[ Go to top ]

I think one of the side effects of Geronimo and JBoss will be the natural migration to a natural component architecture that will be adopted by more and more components (ActiveMQ, Tomcat, JEtty, etc.) This will make integrating and building macro solutions better for all Open Source vendors and benefits everyone. The challenge there will be the NIH syndrome GBeans versus OSGi versus Felix, etc. For the greater good a clear leader will need to emerge and Geronimo is well positioned to help shape that by leading and adapting.

I think that is the most powerful feature of Apache Geronimo is the ability to aggregate so many (and so few) components.

Hopefully this infrastructure will get standardized and the commercial guys will make consumption of some of their piece parts easier too where it becomes a win for Open Source and a win for Commerical entities.
  52. Mosaic[ Go to top ]

Aaron Mulder presented Geronimo 1.0 at the Phildelphia Apache Developers (PAD) Group. He outlined a release schedule and potential feature list for v1.0.1 in February timeframe, then 1.1, and finally 2.0. JDK5.0 will come with 2.0 it appears.

He emphasized CORBA features need to be addressed for J2EE compliance and I think for some differences between the Sun VM and IBM VM. Hmm, sounds like IBM is driving things a bit. Closing security holes was a priority.

Most of the presentation was spent on deployment features. Good to see a JBoss representative made it to the meeting.

I think its great that Geronimo can pull together ActiveMQ, Tomcat, Jetty, and OpenEJB and that the "community" came together to make this happen. While JBoss is an organic growth framework, recently they have turned to acquisition to round out the value proposition (Arjuna, Hibernate). While Geronimo is raw and for early-adopters at this point they definitely have karma on their side. I equate JBoss v Geronimo as a Starbucks v Peet's Coffee. Same product but different philosophy.
  53. Since you introduced GBeans, what about GStrings?
  54. Since you introduced GBeans, what about GStrings?

We've got plenty of those in Groovy already...

http://groovy.codehaus.org/apidocs/groovy/lang/GString.html

:)

James
    LogicBlaze
  55. How about xdoclet support[ Go to top ]

In the release note I can find 'Geronimo XDoclet 1.2.2 module contribution'. Where is it possible to get the geronimo xdoclet module?
  56. Tomcat/Geronimo[ Go to top ]

Hi

Sorry for my beginner's question but... what the differences and advantages between using Tomcat alone and Tomcat as a component of Geronimo ?

Are they some performances differences ? Would it be as fast ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Cheers,
     ZedroS
  57. Tomcat/Geronimo[ Go to top ]

HiSorry for my beginner's question but... what the differences and advantages between using Tomcat alone and Tomcat as a component of Geronimo ? Are they some performances differences ? Would it be as fast ?Thanks in advance for your answers.Cheers,&nbsp;ZedroS

Tomcat is only a web container where Geronimo is full J2EE server. It means that with Tomcat you can only use servlets based services.
  58. Tomcat/Geronimo[ Go to top ]

Thanks Alexandre for your answer.

I guess my question would be better is said as such :
    To use servlets based services, when should I use Tomcat alone or Tomcat embedded in Geronimo ?

For sure, Geronimo offers much more, but are the performances the same for the same tasks (to use servlets based services) ?

Indeed, I would use WebSphere to display my servlets based services but it would be a lot slower I think (because WebSphere offers much more and thus needs a lot more ressources).
  59. Tomcat/Geronimo[ Go to top ]

Thanks Alexandre for your answer.I guess my question would be better is said as such :To use servlets based services, when should I use Tomcat alone or Tomcat embedded in Geronimo ? For sure, Geronimo offers much more, but are the performances the same for the same tasks (to use servlets based services) ?Indeed, I would use WebSphere to display my servlets based services but it would be a lot slower I think (because WebSphere offers much more and thus needs a lot more ressources).

There's no difference between using it embedded or standalone but the performance in Tomcat standalone *might* be a little bit better since it is just a web container. If you just need servlet services, it's fine to use Tomcat standalone, Geronimo add no value. But if you want EJB, JMS, JTA, Web services, ... well Geronimo has to be your choice. My advice would be to use the one you find easier to use if you just need the servlet API.