Discussions

News: Coldtags suite ver. 2.5

1. Coldtags suite ver. 2.5 (17 messages)

Coldbeans Software has announced a major new release of their Coldtags suite. This suite provides more than 250 custom JSP tags for common programming tasks faced by JSP developers.

Coldtags suite is a fast growing Web Rapid Application Development (RAD) toolbox that radically accelerates your development for the J2EE architecture without additional Java programming.

At this moment Coldtags suite is probably the largest collection of custom JSP tags over the Net and continues to grow. Coldtags suite is the only source of ASP.NET similar tags and is the only RAD tool for JSP allows a similar speed in web application development.

Threaded Messages (17)

2. Not Free for commercial use..[ Go to top ]

Great set of libraries.

However, if you are thinking of using them in your own open source product, be aware that these tag libraries are not usable without permission/cost in a commercial environment.

So.. even if your own product is open source, for a commercial customer to adopt it, you should not use these tags.

This is hugely restrictive - I hope that the developers who write these understand this restriction.
  3. Not Free for commercial use..[ Go to top ]

We are not sure at this moment in our open source strategy. Maybe we will go this way in the future. At least we are thinking about it.

Dmitry
    http://www.servletsuite.com
  4. WHy get so excited on a release of a custom JSP tag library? Tag libraries are bountiful on the internet. So good luck selling this. If you want to buy a commercial library, you could go with Cold Fusion tags.

You wascals you!
  5. If you are serious here, than it is strong vice versa. Coldfusion MX is actually J2EE server and developers can use custom JSP tags (as well as filters and listeners). And we have many users who are actually CF developers. Minus all the PR stuff (agreed partly) we can offer more than most of the existing CF library.

Dmitry
  6. WHy get so excited on a release of a custom JSP tag library? Tag libraries are bountiful on the internet.

There are *not* a lot of quality tag libraries available on the Internet. If these are as good as claimed, and the price is not too high, it could be easily worth it.

Here in the states and in Europe, good engineers cost an arm and a leg. Having a good engineer waste their time fixing some open source tag library (or God forbid writing their own) is idiotic and a huge waste of money.

I know this from experience: Engineers often waste millions of dollars trying to save thousands of dollars.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol Coherence: The Java Data Grid
  7. There are enough though...[ Go to top ]

add in some JSTL, some good OO,... you can do just about anything.

No Peace!
  8. There are enough though...[ Go to top ]

You are absolutely correct. The only questions are time and convenience, it is what components are about. Nothing more.

Dmitry
  9. There are enough though...[ Go to top ]

Yes, of course any reasonably good engineer can do just about anything. I could write an IDE, for example, but I choose to use IDEA. I could write a build tool, but I choose to use ANT. I could write a version control system, but I choose to use Perforce. I could write a unit test framework, but I choose to use TestNG. I could write a compiler, but I choose to use JAVAC. I could write an Operating System, but I choose to use Windows. I could write my own web framework, my own ORM, my own EJB container, my own JMS implementation, my own transaction manager, my own JSP compiler, my own ... ;-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol Coherence: The Java Data Grid
  10. There are enough though...[ Go to top ]

Yes, of course any reasonably good engineer can do just about anything. I could write an IDE, for example, but I choose to use IDEA. I could write a build tool, but I choose to use ANT. I could write a version control system, but I choose to use Perforce. I could write a unit test framework, but I choose to use TestNG. I could write a compiler, but I choose to use JAVAC. I could write an Operating System, but I choose to use Windows. I could write my own web framework, my own ORM, my own EJB container, my own JMS implementation, my own transaction manager, my own JSP compiler, my own ... ;-)Peace,Cameron PurdyTangosol Coherence: The Java Data Grid

I totally agree. What I don't understand is why there are always so many people willing to bash something before they even try. I have just downloaded one of the taglibs and found it very useful and easy to use. Little things like that could save me hours or, possibly, days of work, in other words, potentially thousands of dollars worth of my time! So why do some of you think that the authors of useful software tools do not deserve to be paid? Are you jealous that they can't produce anything of interest of their own? So, folks, please keep your sarcasm to yourself (when it's uncalled for) and stop bashing your hardworking fellow developers...
  11. There are enough though...[ Go to top ]

Yes, of course any reasonably good engineer can do just about anything. I could write an IDE, for example, but I choose to use IDEA. I could write a build tool, but I choose to use ANT. I could write a version control system, but I choose to use Perforce. I could write a unit test framework, but I choose to use TestNG. I could write a compiler, but I choose to use JAVAC. I could write an Operating System, but I choose to use Windows. I could write my own web framework, my own ORM, my own EJB container, my own JMS implementation, my own transaction manager, my own JSP compiler, my own ... ;-)Peace,Cameron PurdyTangosol Coherence: The Java Data Grid

I totally agree. What I don't understand is why there are always so many people willing to bash something before they even try. I have just downloaded one of the taglibs and found it very useful and easy to use. Little things like that could save me hours or, possibly, days of work, in other words, potentially thousands of dollars worth of my time! So why do some of you think that the authors of useful software tools do not deserve to be paid? Are you jealous that you can't produce anything of interest of your own? So, folks, please keep your sarcasm to yourself (when it's uncalled for) and stop bashing your hardworking fellow developers...
  12. Coldtags suite ver. 2.5[ Go to top ]

Blindly copying PR-speak in the article is not credibility-inspiring.

James
  13. ...because the left nav with the link to the licence information is not displayed. David Peters is quite right to point out how restrictive the licence appears to be. Worse yet, the rights granted by the licence itself are troublingly ambiguous.

This perhaps demonstrates the hazards of writing your own licence. By the way, Dimitri, "government" is spelled with an N. :-)
  14. Actually it is quite standard (event copied with spelling problems :-))
    We are not developing this as a hobby, so simply giving away obviously does not work for us. As I wrote there is nothing personal against Open Source, we just need to understand the business in this case. Right now there are not so many restrictions – if you are developing something for free than use our components for free too. And we do support all the users (paid or not).

Dmitry
  15. About site[ Go to top ]

Maybe your tags is excellent piece of code, but you site looks like a shit. List of your products with unnatural looking PR quotations (if you add name and company of a guy who said that it won't look so unnaturaly as now). List of google advertisement and dumb firefox + google banner makes everything much worse. And I can't find any information about your price.

Guys, decide what are you doing on this site, selling tags or attracting programmers who will watch this google advertisement.

Good luck.
  16. About site[ Go to top ]

List of google advertisement and dumb firefox + google banner makes everything much worse. Good luck

I do not know why, but most of the banners are about IteliJ Idea :-)

Marina
  17. Not a big deal.[ Go to top ]

Some of the Coldtags are "knock offs" of Jakarta's Taglibs (http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/).
  18. Not a big deal.[ Go to top ]

Or vice versa, keeping in mind when some of the components were introduced first time? :-)