Discussions

News: WebWork 2.2: Released and ready for Struts!

1. WebWork 2.2: Released and ready for Struts! (14 messages)

OpenSymphony and the WebWork team are proud to announce the release of WebWork version 2.2 (download now). This release is the biggest release ever for WebWork and there are plenty of reasons why:
    • Full support for Java 5 Annotations and Generics
    • Rich AJAX support using DWR and Dojo
    • New QuickStart tool makes development easier than ever
    • Tons more documentation with over 900 PDF pages
    • Client side validation using AJAX or plain JavaScript
    • Built in support for Continuations
    • JSR168/Portlet support for several popular Portlet servers, including Pluto
    • Rich UI template framework with native support for JSP, FreeMarker, and Velocity
    • Native support for Spring and Pico IOC containers
    • More intelligent error reporting
    • Developer Mode makes building webapps even easier with improved error reporting
    • Simplified tag syntax
    • Advanced data binding framework that works with any object, including domain objects
    This release marks an important milestone in the WebWork history: the last major release under the WebWork and OpenSymphony names. While future minor releases will continue to take place (including 2.2.x and 2.1.x releases), all major work will now fold in to the Struts Action Framework, version 2.0. You can use WebWork 2.2 as an early preview of Struts Action Framework 2.0, but you can also expect many other great improvements to be added between now and then.

Thanks to the entire WebWork team for all their hard work, especially during these last few weeks as the final touches were put in place.

Getting started

We think the best way to get started with any technology is to try it out right away. That's why we've made WebWork the easiest web development platform to get started with. You can use the QuickStart feature (read the docs on QuickStart to learn how you can use this important tool with your own projects):
    • Open a command prompt to the root directory of the distribution
    • Using a Java 5 JDK, execute: java -jar webwork-2.2.jar quickstart:showcase
    • Open your browser to the URL: http://localhost:8080/showcase
    • Feel free to edit any of the sources (.java, .jsp, etc) in: webapps/showcase
    • Reload your browser to see the changes right away

Threaded Messages (14)

2. Really there are many wonderful features.
    I think it is the right time to try WebWork after tons of Struts.

Back after testing WebWork2.2

Ahmed Hashim
    Software Engineer
    Egypt
    http://www.egjug.org
  3. I must say, I love it. WW2.1 had everything I needed except for Ajax support. I am using the new Ajax <ww: tags and I love em. Couldn't be simpler.

Thanks for all the help and quick responses on the forum.

Matt
  4. I must say, I love it. WW2.1 had everything I needed except for Ajax support. I am using the new Ajax <ww: tags and I love em. Couldn't be simpler.Thanks for all the help and quick responses on the forum.Matt

Anything out in the public that we can point to as an example?
  5. Anything out in the public that we can point to as an example?

Within a month we should have the beta application deployed:

http://www.collabreports.com

Matt
  6. Anything out in the public that we can point to as an example?
    Within a month we should have the beta application deployed:http://www.collabreports.comMatt

Jason, I think you'll have a monopoly on public medical applications ;-)

Jacob (McKesson)
  7. Congrats WebWork! The release is packed full of goodies certain to meet the needs of today's demanding application needs. I look forward to working with the WebWork team on Struts Action 2.0. Time for simplicity to once again be a priority in Java web frameworks!

Don
  8. Thanks and congratulations![ Go to top ]

Congratulations to Patrick and Jason and the WW team!

Thanks for providing WebWork!

I've been reading WebWork In Action since last November and have experimented with some code. I am a Tapestry user, and WebWork is the only web app framework (among the so many that I've had a look at) that I found worth considering to learn.

I feel strongly about the principle that sounds something like, "I know how to use A, and now I know how to use B, so now I have the luxury of choosing A when A's features fit, and B when B's features fit", rather than "now I think B is better than A, therefore A sucks" or other "destructive"-type of discussions. Learning B doesn't mean A doesn't still have its advantages!

So, although I'm saying "why limit yourself, learn all that you can, it's that much more in your toolbox", there is also the time issue; this is why I said that I found WebWork worth learning - worth investing the time. Because if you're going to learn something, you might as well learn it well, and that is going to require some quality time.

WW 2.2: very exciting stuff! Thanks again for your efforts!

Frederic Daoud
  9. Thanks and congratulations![ Go to top ]

Extremely well put!

Regards Peter
  10. Using a Java 5 JDK, execute: java -jar webwork-2.2.jar quickstart:showcase
  11. Open your browser to the URL: http://localhost:8080/showcase
  12. I love the "quickstart" thing, great introductory stuff.

But please fix CRUD examples, attempt to update or save leads to 500 error.

http://localhost:8080/showcase/skill/save.action?currentSkill.name=WW-JUN&currentSkill.description=WebWork+sssJunior+Developer&update=Save

-------
    HTTP ERROR: 500

Could not execute action

RequestURI=/showcase/skill/save.action