Discussions

News: TheServerSide.com's Java Symposium goes to Barcelona!

1. The Java Symposium heads to Barcelona! While we gear up for the annual Java Symposium in Las Vegas, we're also very excited to announce that in June, the Symposium travels to Europe for the first time.

Just like the original Java Symposium, the Java Symposium-Europe will feature a speaker lineup with some of the biggest names in the Java community, including Tom Baeyens, Cédric Beust, Geert Bevin, Jonas Bonér, Linda DeMichiel, Eelco Hillenius, Gregor Hohpe, Rod Johnson, Heinz Kabutz, Gavin King, Ted Neward, Bela Ban, Bruce Snyder, Rickard Oberg, James Strachan and Bruce Tate, and even more - with keynotes from Simon Phipps and John Davies.

TSSJS-Europe will be held at Hotel Fira Palace in Barcelona, Spain, June 21-23, 2006. Featuring 3 tracks of specialized content, 20 speakers and 3 keynote presentations, TSSJS-Europe is your chance to experience what the Java community has been raving about.

Visit www.JavaSymposium-Europe.com for more details, and check back often for updates!

Threaded Messages (21)

2. The Jamon Iberico (raw ham) alone is a perfect reason to go to Barcelona. Are you from Europe? Come to this event!
  3. Porco dio!
  4. it's Spain, not Italy ;-)
  5. it's Spain, not Italy ;-)

Technically it's Cataluña, where they even speak Catalan rather than Spanish.

A stunning city and an excellent choice.

-John-
  6. Let's not get started[ Go to top ]

As an american Java programmer living here in Bcn I am excited that the syposium is coming. And I thought I'd refine the previous post. Yes, Barcelona is in the province of Cataluña, but Cataluña is a province of Spain. As such, saying it's not in Spain is like saying that Los Angeles is in California and not the US.

It's definitely Spain, but different from other spanish provinces in that they speak Catalan. But just as in the Basque Country they speak basque AND spanish, and in Galicia they speak gallego AND spanish, in Cataluña they speak catalan AND spanish; in all provinces of Spain spanish is one of, if not the only, official language.

Granted, the catalan/spanish "question" is a political hot potato, now more than ever. But have no fear! In barcelona center you are as likely to hear english as catalan, and everyone speaks spanish. And I imagine that at the synposium the lengua franca will be english as well.

See you al in Bcn.
    syg
  7. Let's not get started[ Go to top ]

I'm from Spain too. And because I've previous experience in this matter, I beg everyone not to start talking about what it is Catalonia related to Spain. This is the server side, and this thread is about the java symposium, let's talk about that if you want, there are other sites to express our personal opinions about that.

Greetings from Madrid.
  8. Let's not get started[ Go to top ]

Hi Robert, I was in bcn last month and got really curios about the java positions out there. Is there a way to send pvt messages on this forum ?
  9. Porco dio!
    Do you know that you wrote a blasphemy? I hope you wrote it without knowing the meaning
  10. Hats off Robert[ Go to top ]

It really nice to see an american guy having such a good insight of Spain. It's sad to see how most american don't even know their own history and geography.

Every single spaniard can name and place (with a few errors) the 50 provinces of Spain. How many yanks can name and place the 50 states?

Just one remark, Cataluña is not a province is an "Autonomous communities". There are 17 of them.

Catalan is also spoken in two other comunities (Valencia and Baleares).
  11. Hats off Robert[ Go to top ]

As I told before, please guy, this is not the place. And overall, I must remark that I don't share your opinion in your previous post about Americans not knowing their own history. Come on, there's not need to be rude.
  12. Hats off Robert[ Go to top ]

And overall, I must remark that I don't share your opinion in your previous post about Americans not knowing their own history. Come on, there's not need to be rude.

Thank you, Juan. I was going to drive south from Texas to the Barcelona conference, but some of these ignorant attitudes have put me off.
  13. Hats off Robert[ Go to top ]

While it remains pleasent I think it's rather good to get a bit of background culture on Barcelona.

By the way "American" starts with a capital letter as does "English". I'd forgive a "spaniard" [sic] but an "american" [sic] living in a Spanish autonomous community should know better.

This looks like quite a good web site on Barcelona:
    http://www.bcn.es/english/laciutat/barcelona/welcome.htm

Perhaps Robert Bowen (the American living in Barcelona) can link up the local JUG community, perhaps TSS will pay commission?

I'm left confused over the "52 states" though, I thought there were 50 states and 2 territories, Gonzalo Herreros did say "states" and there ARE only 50 of those.

Has anyone found any good Java based technologies invented, created or originating out of Barcelona or Spain, I'm sure there're loads.

-John-
  14. Hats off Robert[ Go to top ]

Has anyone found any good Java based technologies invented, created or originating out of Barcelona or Spain
    Of course,

OpenXava is from Valencia (near Barcelona), and it's translated to Catalan ;) (and Spanish, English, German, French and Indonesian)
  15. Hats off Robert[ Go to top ]

I'm left confused over the "52 states" though, I thought there were 50 states and 2 territories, Gonzalo Herreros did say "states" and there ARE only 50 of those....-John-

Perhaps Canada and Mexico are the two other states. :)

Floyd
  16. AntInstaller is from Barca.[ Go to top ]

Has anyone found any good Java based technologies invented, created or originating out of Barcelona or Spain, I'm sure there're loads.-John-

http://AntInstaller.sf.net is developed in Barcelona but it hasn't got a catalan translation yet (only Basque and Spanish), any takers!
  17. Hats off Robert[ Go to top ]

Gonzalo, there are 52, not 50. See your own speck.
  18. TSSJS-Europe is your chance to experience what the Java community has been raving about

Rofl, its as though the java community is an american thing! remember that a lot of the spring, codehaus, jboss etc guys are european and based in europe, it isn't much of a community without them.
  19. Apologies[ Go to top ]

I'm from Spain, and I must apologise for this stupid threads that appear any time we start talking about our languages. I'm used to have this surreal discussions in our weblogs, but I could never have thought about poisoning an entire tss story.

It's really embarrasing...
  20. Woah![ Go to top ]

No need to get upset about it! I realize that talking about whether or not cataluña is spain is a hot-button issue, sorry about that.

But in terms of the language, I was just clarifying for those put off by the statement that "they speak catalan" in Barcelona. Yes, they do, but they also speak spanish so if you come here speaking spanish you'll have absolutely no problem. And for that matter, if your intention is to attend the symposium, as I stated already, I imagine it will in in english anyway so ...

So come to Barcelona for the Java. Stay for the patatas bravas.

syg
  21. More apologies[ Go to top ]

I'm from Spain, and I must apologise for this stupid threads that appear any time we start talking about our languages. I'm used to have this surreal discussions in our weblogs, but I could never have thought about poisoning an entire tss story.It's really embarrasing...

That's true. I want to apologize about all this discussion. It looks like the people from my country prefer talking about if the piece of land they live in must be called A or B, rather than talking about technology. Please, forget about it; there are a zillion people in Spain that doesn't care about these topics and prefer talking about J2EE, EJBs, or whatever !

Peace !
    Jose R.

http://www.terra.es/personal/jrhuerga
  22. I think I may skip Las Vegas this year and go to Spain!

I've been looking for an excuse to go anyway.