Java.net article on WebWork Validation

Discussions

News: Java.net article on WebWork Validation

1. Java.net article on WebWork Validation (5 messages)

Zarar Siddiqi has written an article on validation in WebWork, including manual (code-based) validation, declaratively defining validation using the XML-based validation framework, and even advanced topics such as validation re-use.

This article is timely given the recent discussions of data validation in the blogosphere, and the (somewhat) recent announcement that WebWork will be merging with Struts to become the basis of the Struts Action Framework 2.0.

Does the range of validation options outlined in this article cover your validation needs? What other validation features would you like to see in SAF 2.0?

Threaded Messages (5)

2. Jason: it's my understanding that in 2.2 you guys have also introduced annotations as an alternative to XML for specifying validations. I haven't had the time to look into WW2.2 in detail yet, and after a (very) brief look at the documentation site I couldn't find the documentation for what annotations are supported.

Could you either point me in the right direction or, even better, show what the long XML example on page 2 of the article would look like if validations were used?

Overall (and I think you know this) WW2.2 seems to have very comprehensive validation. The only thing I'd like to see improved is the ability to specify validations more concisely.

-Tim Fennell
    Stripes: Because web development should just be easier.
  3. Java.net article on WebWork Validation[ Go to top ]

There is the ability to define validation via annotations. Look here for more info -- http://wiki.opensymphony.com/display/WW/Validation+Annotation
  4. Roadmap[ Go to top ]

I am looking for a development roadmap of WW. I would like to see a feature and technology componentt list of how it will merge with struts.

I am glad to see WW getting more press on TSS. It is an excellent tool, though it has been about a year since I last used it.
  5. Roadmap[ Go to top ]

I am looking for a development roadmap of WW. I would like to see a feature and technology componentt list of how it will merge with struts.I am glad to see WW getting more press on TSS. It is an excellent tool, though it has been about a year since I last used it.

There's not a hard-and-fast roadmap right now. We've just released 2.2, and now we're starting to look toward the merger. The talks about how we bring this into Apache are going on now, and there should be some news in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime the WebWork team is doing a great job fixing bugs as they're reported against 2.2 and looking to a 2.2.1 release.
  6. Alternative[ Go to top ]

the more the merrier:

http://www.sapia-oss.org/projects/vlad/