Discussions

News: Apache Synapse releases first milestone

1. Apache Synapse releases first milestone (5 messages)

Apache Synapse, an open source enterprise service bus in incubation, has released its first milestone driver. Synapse is a high-performance broker and intermediary for Web Services and SOAP.

Incubation is required of all newly accepted projects until a further review indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful ASF projects. While incubation status is not necessarily a reflection of the completeness or stability of the code, it does indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF.

We have released a first Milestone M1. The release will support:
    • Simple mediation based on regex and xpath rules
    • Onbound routing of messages
    • Deploy simple Java mediators to perform logging, routing, message transform, etc.
    • XSLT transformation of messages
    • HTTP Proxy support
    • Stages and in/out handling of messages

Threaded Messages (5)

2. What about service mix[ Go to top ]

Last month I saw that ServiceMix had moved to apache. I wonder why they are going ahead with developing 2 ESB frameworks.
  3. What about service mix[ Go to top ]

Last month I saw that ServiceMix had moved to apache. I wonder why they are going ahead with developing 2 ESB frameworks.

Here is an explanation of the difference.

The main difference is, Apache ServiceMix is an ESB based on the JBI standard (JSR 208) whereas Synapse is a mediation framework (or ESB depending on who you talk to) based on the Axis 2 SOAP stack.

James
    LogicBlaze
  4. I feel pretty confused about this kind of announce. I do recognize talented and are working people at apache.. but I do think that these kinds of solution does not reach customer demands and expectations! With these basics features (sorry guys, but that is definitely not enough as a milestone 1!!) Companies like Tibco, Sonic, BEA, etc with their real ESB products will continue to eat your lunch.. I would love to see these talented people work on subjects that big vendors can't work (real innovation, disruptive thinking...) instead of trying to follow a $ driven trend!!!!
  5. If I understand correctly Synapse is a product that fills the place in an SOA/ESB stack of mediator. It is a product for implementing soa-cross-cutting concerns like policies and governance. Comparable to a Java DynamicProxy interceptor implementing an aspect.

I think these kind of products are not very well known yet. I found out about their existence and about Synapse by talking to Miko Matsumara at Antwerps Javapolis. He works for Infravio who make a commercial mediation product.
  6. Ehm, maybe I should do some careful recollection or some googling before posting (But then I probably wouldn't post at all): Synapse seems to be the result of code donated by Infravio.