Java equivalent of Visual Studio Team System

Discussions

Industry news: Java equivalent of Visual Studio Team System

1. Java equivalent of Visual Studio Team System (4 messages)

Is there any java (or non .net) equivalent of Visual Studio Team System?

I went to the product launch and was awed with it. Just curious whether any other product like it on the market that is not tied to one platform.

Threaded Messages (4)

2. Impossible[ Go to top ]

In Java world it impossible.
  3. Clearly not as integrated and seamless as VSTS, but depending on what dev editor you are using, there is likely a repository plugin to go with it. I am using Eclipse with a Subversion plugin that works quite well...

Is there any java (or non .net) equivalent of Visual Studio Team System?I went to the product launch and was awed with it. Just curious whether any other product like it on the market that is not tied to one platform.
  4. VSTS is beyond source code control[ Go to top ]

VSTS is beyond source code control. It is a complete lifecycle tool that will not appeal _only_ to developers, but also to project managers, architects, the clients!, or probably also your CEO!

Do you know your client could see the progress of a project via web browser? or project managers could see (and even assign) taks and progress of projects? Oh did I mention it can also seamlessly track and document your project from start to finish?

I barely scratch the surface.. but this thing is awesome. Being a project manager myself I can foresee how productive everyone will be if we are to use it.

Now to .NET or not to .NET, that is the question.
  5. Yes, there are several Software Configuration Management systems. They are all of them more general than the .net-centric Team Server.

Look for "software configuration management" and you'll find things like Serena Changeman, Perforce, Borland StarTeam, etc.