IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 Released

Discussions

News: IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 Released

1. IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 Released (31 messages)

Version 5.1 of IntelliJ IDEA has been released, providing enhanced support for i18n, plugins, Web/J2EE development, including JavaScript(and even AJAX) among numerous new features and improvements.

The main new features and enhancements in IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 include:

Enhanced i18n support
    New intention actions and quick fixes for internationalizing strings, excluding string literals from internationalization, formatting properties and messages, together with auto-detection of resource bundles, smart editing of .properties files and other features appeared in 5.0 release, help developers to quickly localize applications keeping resources in a consistent state.

Improved JavaScript and Web Development support
    Version 5.1 introduces a number of important improvements to JavaScript support, equipping both experienced developers and "newbies" with a full arsenal of features. All these improvements will help you with AJAX development as well (especially when developing AJAX libraries). Other new enhancements include new navigation, completions and refactorings, plus new Find Usages capabilities for JavaScript and (X)HTML.

New JSP debugging support
    Now IntelliJ IDEA allows for configuration of source-level JSP debugging when remotely connected to IBM WebSphere 5.1 or later.

More support for plug-in developers
    New actions for auto-creating new application, module, and project components, together with new inspections for validating the consistency of plug-in descriptors, make it easier than ever to begin creating custom plug-ins.

As well as many other IntelliJ IDEA features, its developers were first to try the new functionality. JetBrains has created a Japanese localization of IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 using the new i18n support. The localization is being released concurrently with the original English version.

The upgrade from version 5.0 is free. To learn more about new features and improvements, see http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/features/newfeatures.html or download the free trial at http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/

Threaded Messages (31)

2. I18N Flash Demo[ Go to top ]

Absolutely forgot to post link for flash demo of i18n support in IntelliJ IDEA 5.1
  3. IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 Released[ Go to top ]

Version 5.1 of IntelliJ IDEA has been released ..

Now if they could just support proper indentation of code .. ;-)

(Come on, Alex! You promised!)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    (A 99% satisfied IDEA customer)
  4. IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 Released[ Go to top ]

Version 5.1 of IntelliJ IDEA has been released ..
    Now if they could just support proper indentation of code .. ;-)(Come on, Alex! You promised!)Peace,Cameron Purdy(A 99% satisfied IDEA customer)

Cameron, what is improper? Just asking for my sake, I haven't noticed anything?

My only pick with IDEA (which I love), is that the tool windows can't be maximized as in Eclipse and/or Netbeans. You have to use the mouse to resize each tool window, which kind of goes against my "use mouse is rare circumstances" motto.

Ilya
  5. IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 Released[ Go to top ]

+1
  6. IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 Released[ Go to top ]

+1
    +1
  7. IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 Released[ Go to top ]

Cameron, what is improper?

We use a very explicit code formatting style, and IDEA doesn't support all the formatting choices we use. Alex Tkachman promised me to get the support into IDEA over a year ago, and we're still waiting. It's a very minor annoyance, which is why I'm "only" 99% happy with it.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol Coherence: Clustered Shared Memory for Java
  8. IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 Released[ Go to top ]

Unfortunately I've joined JetBrains only four months ago an was not able to promise something over a year ago. Sorry.
  9. IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 Released[ Go to top ]

Unfortunately I've joined JetBrains only four months ago an was not able to promise something over a year ago. Sorry.

Any idea if you have plans or possibly will even think about tool window maximize/minimize option? Also, it would be great if you can toggle the tool windows, as you can with editor windows.

Thanks.

Ilya Sterin
  10. Maximize toolwindow[ Go to top ]

Let's start from smaller things: what particular toolwindow you'd like to maximize? In other words what are the usecases for this feature?
    As the matter of fact his is failry easy to implement but I just can't imagine a situation I'd like to see project view or find results maxed out to fullscreen.
  11. Maximize toolwindow[ Go to top ]

Well, the messages (console) one for instance. Say I want to see runtime output. The window space right now, it relatively small and I need to scroll up and down, etc..., too much. It would be nice to allow it to maximize (binded to a shortcut of course), so that I can see the output. The real estate right now, is just not sufficient enough for me to be able to have sufficient code view and message at the same time.

Also, another though, is to have something like Eclipse's Ctrl-Shift-Q (or any key binding), which will initiate a listener for some other command. So say all tool windows can be accessed through some key binding + some key, vs. having to bind it to Alt-something, since it quickly runs out of letters and you have to bind to some other combination. I'd like to say keep all tool bindings similar.

Just some thoughts, otherwise even with these few difficulties (maybe it's just me), the product beats anything out there hands down.

Ilya
  12. Maximize toolwindow[ Go to top ]

I completely agree with the comment about being able to maximize the console window. It's one of the few things about IDEA that causes me to anger.

While you're at it...make it so I can hide the modules pane that is attached to the console window. I rarely care to see it.
  13. Another think is Ant[ Go to top ]

One other thing I would like to see - iff at all possible - is to invoke Ant-build by some key combination - I build my project somewhere around a 100 times in a day and everytime pulling out the side menu and double-clicking on the particular target (or default build) gets a bit annoying and tiresome...

Is this a view that others share with me or have I overlooked some setting / etc that can make my builds less painful??

Further - if the ant build was successful, it would be great if all ant related windows minimize themselves.. only the tool (bottom) window can be auto-minimized through some ant build settings..

Thanks and best,
    Anoop
  14. Another thing is Ant[ Go to top ]

One other thing I would like to see - iff at all possible - is to invoke Ant-build by some key combination - I build my project somewhere around a 100 times in a day and everytime pulling out the side menu and double-clicking on the particular target (or default build) gets a bit annoying and tiresome...

Further - if the ant build was successful, it would be great if all ant related windows minimize themselves.. only the tool (bottom) window can be auto-minimized through some ant build settings..

Is this a view that others share with me or have I overlooked some setting / etc that can make my builds less painful??

Thanks and best,
    Anoop
  15. Another thing is Ant[ Go to top ]

One other thing I would like to see - iff at all possible - is to invoke Ant-build by some key combination - I build my project somewhere around a 100 times in a day and everytime pulling out the side menu and double-clicking on the particular target (or default build) gets a bit annoying and tiresome...Further - if the ant build was successful, it would be great if all ant related windows minimize themselves.. only the tool (bottom) window can be auto-minimized through some ant build settings..Is this a view that others share with me or have I overlooked some setting / etc that can make my builds less painful??Thanks and best,Anoop

Actually, you can just map the Ant tool window to a shortcut, I did for example to Alt-A...

Once you do that, you can just type the shortcut, and then start typing the name of your target. Say your target is dist, just typing Alt-A, and then d will do in most cases, as it's smart search eliminates all else. You might have to type another letter if you have other targets that start with d. Actually every tool window in IDEA has that wonderful feature.

Ilya
  16. Another thing is Ant[ Go to top ]

Woww - that is really great - it works fantastic!!.

I gave Alt-A for a new quicklist I created my favorite ant targets and I couldnt have been more thankful to you.

Thanks Ilya and of course IDEA!!
    You have saved me over hours and hours of drudgery....
    Anoop
  17. AspectJ support?[ Go to top ]

Any plans to support AspectJ in the future?
  18. Another thing is Ant[ Go to top ]

You can assign keyboard shortcuts to Ant targets. See the "Ant targets" group in the "Keymap" settings dialog.
  19. I completely agree with the comment about being able to maximize the console window. It's one of the few things about IDEA that causes me to anger.While you're at it...make it so I can hide the modules pane that is attached to the console window. I rarely care to see it.
    You can vote for this "bug" here:
    http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/IDEABKL-3408
  20. I did vote for that issue a while ago but what I really want is a little button on the side that simply makes that pane disappear or appear entirely.
  21. Maximize toolwindow[ Go to top ]

Also, another though, is to have something like Eclipse's Ctrl-Shift-Q (or any key binding), which will initiate a listener for some other command. So say all tool windows can be accessed through some key binding + some key, vs. having to bind it to Alt-something, since it quickly runs out of letters and you have to bind to some other combination. I'd like to say keep all tool bindings similar.

This is possible (and has been for years) in IDEA! You can re-assign the keyboard shortcuts for all tool windows and use two-stroke shortcuts (instead of the default ones) with
    Ctrl-Shift-Q or whatever you like as the first stroke.

Regards,
    Jens
  22. Maximize toolwindow[ Go to top ]

This is possible (and has been for years) in IDEA! You can re-assign the keyboard shortcuts for all tool windows and use two-stroke shortcuts (instead of the default ones) withCtrl-Shift-Q or whatever you like as the first stroke.Regards,Jens

Ah, great. I'll take a look at that. Thanks a bunch.

Ilya
  23. IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 Released[ Go to top ]

My bad .. I had my emails mixed up. It was Sergey.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol Coherence: The Java Data Grid
  24. IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 Released[ Go to top ]

For all people upgrading their IDEA installation. Watch out for the FileTypes Settings. If you previously mapped the .properties extension to the Text type, IDEA cant map this extension to the new Propertie type, thus leaving this type with no mapping at all. At the end you cant use the new i18n features.
  25. IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 Released[ Go to top ]

There is a plugin available for the JIndent code formatter (www.jindent.com). It allows for more formatting options than IntelliJ does.

-Pete
  26. IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 Released[ Go to top ]

Cameron, what is improper? Just asking for my sake, I haven't noticed anything?
    You don't know?

Around here, Cameron is known for two things:

- Selling the most expensive implementation of HashMap the known universe has ever produced.

- Trying to discourage code reviews of the Tangosol code by using a coding standard that makes computer screens shut down spontaneously in protest.

The fact that IDEA doesn't help propagate this abomination is a tribute to its excellence.

--
    Cedric
    http://testng.org
  27. Demetra![ Go to top ]

Now 'Demetra' EAP should start!
  28. Demetra![ Go to top ]

http://blogs.jetbrains.com/yole/archives/000091.html
  29. Once I installed Idea 5.1, the version control stopped working for me.

I use symbolic links to specify the module's content root path and it used to work in previous version.

Forced to move back to 5.0.2 untill you get this resolved.

--Dmitriy.
  30. Forgot to mention that I use Subversion Version Control.
  31. Hello Dmitriy,

Could you please provide more details on what is not working?
    Is the symbolic link located inside versioned directory?

There was number of fixes in JavaSVN library related to the symbolic links handling (versioned symbolic links), that might somehow affect operations on the non-versioned symlinks that links to the versioned directories.

If possible please send description of the problem to alex[at]tmate[dot]org

Thanks,
    Alexander Kitaev.
  32. Is the symbolic link located inside versioned directory?There was number of fixes in JavaSVN library related to the symbolic links handling (versioned symbolic links), that might somehow affect operations on the non-versioned symlinks that links to the versioned directories.

The symbolic link is outside of the subversion tree. Again, this worked perfectly in 5.0.2 .

Also, I just verified that many others faced the same issue and were forced to rollback from 5.1 back to 5.0.2 .

--Dmitriy.